Chiocchi surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dchiocchi

Chiocchi surname

Post by dchiocchi »

I have noticed a few people on this site researching the Chiocchi surname. I am also trying to research my family and since everyone seems to have such favorable results on this site I thought I'd give it a try. My grandfather was named Antonio Chiocchi. I believe he was born in Avellino, Italy 18 May 1885. He immigrated to the US when he was 18, on the S.S. Regina Elena arriving in New York from Naples on 26 March 1904. Antonio's parents were Domenico Chiocchi and Teresa Sessa. Antonio married in June 1910 in New York City to Pellegrina Dell'Aquila.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I will be going to Italy next month and plan on spending to nights in Avellino as well as two nights in Sorrento and two nights in Rome. It would be nice to find some relatives there.

Thanks

Dennis Chiocchi
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Chiocchi surname

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy.....
Are you looking for US records, Italian records or just wanting to connect with family during your trip to Italy?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
dchiocchi

Post by dchiocchi »

I am looking for Italian records, I would like to get a birth certificate for my grandfather and or my grandmother. I would also like to see how far back I can go with records in Italy. I thought since I was going to be going to Italy I could look up some records in person and if I can meet a relative while there then that is all the better.

Dennis
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

dchiocchi wrote:...if I can meet a relative while there then that is all the better.
Dennis
Hello Dennis!
Have you tried this route yet to find relatives?
Valarie

to possibly locate family currently living in Italy:

Italian White Pages
Cognome o nome Azienda = Surname
Dove = Location (optional)

Click on red button Cerca

LDS Family Search Letter Writing Guide

Form Letter to a Possible Relative

If you would like to write your own letter - post it on the forum for some
translation assistance. (under Italian language, handwriting , script & translations)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

dchiocchi wrote:I am looking for Italian records, I would like to get a birth certificate for my grandfather and or my grandmother. I would also like to see how far back I can go with records in Italy. I thought since I was going to be going to Italy I could look up some records in person and if I can meet a relative while there then that is all the better.

Dennis
well Dennis,
Antonio Chiocchi was born in Valle hamleth of Avellino town;

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Antonio Geard Chiocchi
Name: Antonio Geard Chiocchi
Birth Date: 17 May 1885
RESIDENCE: New York City
Birth: Valle Aveleno, Italy

Race: White
Roll: WW2_2283519
wife Pellegrina Chiocchi...

for to make a good genealogic tree you can search all civil records in Mormon's microfilms:
Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1899 Avellino (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile
and you sure can find Antonio Chiocchi birth record and also the records of sisters and brothers.... so you will know the names and after you can write to potential relatives, with right data of siblings...

for to obtain the birth certificate you can write in:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza del Popolo
83100 Avellino (AV)
Italy

using the right form letter:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

hoping helpful,
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dchiocchi

Post by dchiocchi »

Suanj,

I'm sorry I didn't write back earlier to thank you. Today I was able to get a copy of my grand father (Antonio Geard Chiocchi's birth record. I went to one of the LDS Library here in NJ a few weeks ago and they had the microfilm Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1899 Avellino (Avellino). Ufficio dello stato civile . I found my grandfathers name in the index but unfortunately that is all I could find. The ladies that work at the library took my phone number and gave it to a man who has been searching through the same film for several years and has experience reading the film. He called me and we met today and he gave me a copy of the birth record. Now I have the date of birth of my great grandfather. I am leaving on Sunday to go to Europe and I have scheduled two days of my trip in Avellino and hopefully I will be able to find out more about my great grandfather and other family members.