Gallo family from Malvito, Cosenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Gallo family from Malvito, Cosenza

Post by ChrisMosca »

I'm switching my research time now to my mother's side and was wondering if any here has done or is doing any research in the town of malvito or the Gallo last name.
Thank you for taking the time.
Chris
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Gallo family from Malvito, Cosenza

Post by johnnyonthespot »

ChrisMosca wrote:I'm switching my research time now to my mother's side and was wondering if any here has done or is doing any research in the town of malvito or the Gallo last name.
Thank you for taking the time.
Chris
Hi Chris,

Like you, once I had gone as far as I could with my father's side, I switched my attention to my mother's parents. And, like you, they were from Malvito too! Their names were Iacovo and Altieri.

One thing I think you will find, although Malvito is a tiny (~2500 persons) comune, the response to requests for info could not be better. Each time I wrote and requested docs they arrived within 2 to 3 weeks. I used the form letter generator here to create three separate letters - one each for my grandparent's birth records and one for thier marriage record. Stuffed all three into a single envelope and mailed them off to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Malvito
Largo Mario De Iacovo 1
87010 - MALVITO CS
ITALIA

Later I wrote back to obtain birth records for my mother's Italy-born siblings and the response was just as fast.

Good luck with your research!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Chris,

Cosenza province has started to put the records for all the towns on line. Here is the link.
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

You will need to register (it's free). I put in a search for Gallo from Malvito and it came back with 81 documents. Make sure to click in the upper right so it's in english.

I hope you have some good luck finding family members. Keep us posted.

Elizabeth
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

thank you both for the link and the address to Malvito i will let you know what I find.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

BillieDeKid wrote:Hi Chris,

Cosenza province has started to put the records for all the towns on line. Here is the link.
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

You will need to register (it's free). I put in a search for Gallo from Malvito and it came back with 81 documents. Make sure to click in the upper right so it's in english.

I hope you have some good luck finding family members. Keep us posted.

Elizabeth
True, but Malvito has very, very, few records currently online - just five years between 1928 and 1933. No Iacovo's, no Altieri's, and no Gallo's.

Too bad, really, because I was hoping for an easy way to flesh out my mother's genealogical tree without sending more letters to Malvito...

[edit]

Oops! I wasn't logged on when I said there were no Gallo's listed for Malvito...

Definitely no Iacovo's though.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

i did notice that not all records are online yet because I know of my great-uncle being born in malvito in 1901 and he does not appear it seems that the have up to 1870's. I've been finding a lot of information from the online archive, thanks again Elizabeth, the rest that I can't find I will have to write to the commune.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

johnnyonthespot wrote: True, but Malvito has very, very, few records currently online - just five years between 1928 and 1933. No Iacovo's, no Altieri's, and no Gallo's.

Too bad, really, because I was hoping for an easy way to flesh out my mother's genealogical tree without sending more letters to Malvito...

[edit]

Oops! I wasn't logged on when I said there were no Gallo's listed for Malvito...

Definitely no Iacovo's though.
Hi Johnnyonthespot
The site has more than 5 years of records available for Malvito. The records start at 1810. I tried Altieri with no town listing and two came up for Malvito. Don't know if this helps or not.

Chris -
You're welcome and good luck with your request to the comune keep us posted on your progress.

All the best
Elizabeth
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The site is updating constantly so more and more records are being added. DO not give up.

What I have noticed is:

1. Try variations in spelling since there are several extraction mistakes and names DID change in spelling. One name I am researching, I have always known as Volpentesta, and I now found out it was actually Volpintesta.

2. Don't only limited yourself to your town because many did in fact come from the other nearby towns or married someone from another town and the records may be there. So if the parents were originally from another town, you would find records there as well.

3. Records may be listed under Cosenza only as the area was once Cosenza Citra so many births are recorded this way. It also may have been part of a different town (an example would be something like San Fili/Rende) Separate now, but once used together..

Hope this helps. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

BillieDeKid wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:
Hi Johnnyonthespot
The site has more than 5 years of records available for Malvito. The records start at 1810. I tried Altieri with no town listing and two came up for Malvito. Don't know if this helps or not.
All the best
Elizabeth
It is odd. Having little luck for Iacovo, I used the "THESAURUS OF PLACE NAMES" to serch for Malvito; the resulting list *seems* to indicate that only 1928-1933 are available. Of course, the Gallo and Altieri searches clearly indicate otherwise.

I'll need to spend some more time there to see what I can come up with.