Need help in tracing the city where my grandfather was born

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
missb
Rookie
Rookie

Need help in tracing the city where my grandfather was born

Post by missb »

Hi people!

I'm new to this list, so I'm first saying hi to all of you.

Then I guess I'm getting really frustrated cause I'm trying to find out where my great-grandfather was born in Italy, but not a single source I find has his city listed. The other problem I find is that my surname, Schiavo, is very common in Italy. But I'm gonna try it anyway.

First of all, the informations I have: his name was Raffael (or Raffaele, it might have been changed uppon arrival in Brazil, where I live) Schiavo, he left Italy from the port of Genova on August, 5th, 1891, and headed to Brazil. I've found out that all the people that came from the port of Genova were located in North Italy, so that's another information. He was around 42 years old when he came to Brazil.

If there's anyone out there who might be able to help me out, I would be really really thankful!

Cheers,

Bianca Schiavo
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Need help in tracing the city where my grandfather was b

Post by ptimber »

missb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missb »

Peter,

Thanks for the tips, but I've already tried those sites, unfortunately there was nothing I could find. I'm really getting frustrated :(

The second site you gave me only lists immigrants that came to the state of Espirito Santo, so it's not useful to me.

But thanks anyway :)

ptimber wrote:Try www.imigrantesitalianos.com.br and www.ape.es.gov.br/,ain.htm and good luck Peter NYC
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

do you recall the name of the ship he came to Brazil on?? Peter
missb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missb »

If I'm not mistaken, it was called Città di Genova :)

ptimber wrote:do you recall the name of the ship he came to Brazil on?? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I came across a website for SCHIAVO from Padua, Veneto in 1891 which may or may not relate. The website is in Portuguese and is www.geocities.yahoo.com.br/kajafreitas/vapor.htm. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

By the way you never gave me his first name so here is another Schiavo (same one??) Go to www.ape.es.gov.br/main.htm and select immigration (portuguese language) and then select S and then click on Schiavo for copy of Joseph Schiavo passport. Hope its him since its 1891 arrival. Peter
missb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missb »

Peter,

The first site didn't work, but I think I have that info, I'm not sure. Wouldn't mind checking it out anyway, but the site didn't work. If I do have that info, I have no idea whether it relates to my great-grandfather cause they don't give first names, just the last name.

And the other one is from the State Archive of Espirito Santo, and unfortunately, it's not him. His first name is Raffael, and he came to São Paulo.

Thanks a lot anyway! I'm still hoping someone will have a different information to help me out, here's to hoping :)

Cheers,

Bianca

ptimber wrote:By the way you never gave me his first name so here is another Schiavo (same one??) Go to www.ape.es.gov.br/main.htm and select immigration (portuguese language) and then select S and then click on Schiavo for copy of Joseph Schiavo passport. Hope its him since its 1891 arrival. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am sure you will come up with the answer. Peter
missb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missb »

Thanks. I'm running out of options, though. It's getting frustrating.

ANd yes, I've confirmed it today and the ship was the Città di Genova.

DId you check that first site, the geocities one? I've tried all choices and it just didn't really work :(
ptimber wrote:I am sure you will come up with the answer. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi are this records for Schiavo persons emigrated in Brasil, coming from Castelgomberto-Vicenza province and Este-Padova province, all in Veneto region:

Schiavo Amelia

Schiavo Antonio Domenico

Schiavo Arturo

Schiavo Giuseppe

Schiavo Giuseppe

Schiavo Luigi

Schiavo Maria Ermelinda

Schiavo Milania

Schiavo Santo

Schiavo Sergia

Schiavo Virgilio

not are record for Raffaele..regards, suanj
missb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missb »

Suanj,

Thanks for the information. I know the one called Santo Schiavo came in the same date that my great-grandfather came. Would you have more information on him? Anything you might have on him would be interesting. He, my great-grandfather and another one (I don't remember the name now) came the same day, I'm trying to see if they're related anyhow!

Thank you in advance!!!

Bianca

suanj wrote:Hi are this records for Schiavo persons emigrated in Brasil, coming from Castelgomberto-Vicenza province and Este-Padova province, all in Veneto region:

Schiavo Amelia

Schiavo Antonio Domenico

Schiavo Arturo

Schiavo Giuseppe

Schiavo Giuseppe

Schiavo Luigi

Schiavo Maria Ermelinda

Schiavo Milania

Schiavo Santo

Schiavo Sergia

Schiavo Virgilio

not are record for Raffaele..regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Bianca, this are data on Schiavo Santo :
Cognome
Schiavo

Nome
Santo

Parentela
Chefe

Professione

Paese d'origine...

Provincia d'origine....

Nave
Adria

Data d'arrivo
28/02/1889

not have data on italian origin place, but generally all Schiavo listed coming from Castelgomberto(Vicenza) and Este(Padova).. Schiavo Sergia are probably wife of Santo, same ship, same data.. in travel with an son Luigi Schiavo age 5.. regards, suanj
missb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missb »

Allora, vedo che sei dell'Italia, allora parliamo italiano se ti va meglio!

Allora, questo non è lo stesso che ho trovato nelle mie ricerche qui. Quello che avevo nella mia lista di nomi è venuto nella stessa data che mio bisnonno...

Allora, tra questi Schiavo che mi hai fornito tu, c'è qualcuno che sia venuto nel 05/08/1891? Non voglio proprio darti fastidio, ma se hai la possibilità, puoi darmi i detagli sugli arrivati nel 05/08/1891? Se ci sono nella tua lista, certamente!

Ti ringrazio tantissimo!! Scusa se ti disturbo, ma per me è interessante sapere se c'è qualque parente di mio bisnonno tra gli emigrati! Magari trovi delle informazioni che non mi aspettavo proprio!

Un'altra domanda... tutti questi emigrati sono venuti in Brasile, vero? Allora, se loro sono venuti da Castelgomberto in provincia di Vicenza oppure da Este, in provincia di Padova, credi sia interessante per me cercare il mio bisnonno in queste due città? Può darsi che anche lui sia nato in una di queste città, almeno è un inizio. Che ne pensi? E se decido di cercare in queste due città, cosa devo fare?

Grazie ancora!

suanj wrote:Hi Bianca, this are data on Schiavo Santo :
Cognome
Schiavo

Nome
Santo

Parentela
Chefe

Professione

Paese d'origine...

Provincia d'origine....

Nave
Adria

Data d'arrivo
28/02/1889

not have data on italian origin place, but generally all Schiavo listed coming from Castelgomberto(Vicenza) and Este(Padova).. Schiavo Sergia are probably wife of Santo, same ship, same data.. in travel with an son Luigi Schiavo age 5.. regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Ciao Bianca, allora, provengono da Este, Schiavo: Amelia, 1-Giuseppe, 2-Giuseppe;
provengono da Castelgomberto, Schiavo: Antonio Domenico, Maria Ermelinda,Virgilio. Degli altri non è riportata la città.
Le date di emigrazione sono: nave Rosario 04/09/1895 quelli che provenivano da Castelgomberto, nave Adria 28/02/1889 sconosciuto luogo di origine, nave GIO BATTA 20/07/1891 quelli che provenivano da Este, nave Mayrink 27/05/1889 sconosciuto luogo di origine....sono sbarcati al porto di Vitoria-Espirito Santo..come si chiamava il tuo antenato? che altre info hai???saluti,
suanj