Ioli from Alvito

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JLYN85

Ioli from Alvito

Post by JLYN85 »

Hi!

My family came from Alvito, Italy (Lazio, Frosinone). My great-grandfather was named Giovanni Ioli, and he was born in 1881. He came to America and married Assunta Colletta (from Conca della Campania, Caserta) in 1908. They came back to Conca della Campania where they had a daughter, Lucia, in 1912, and then ended up settling in Corona, Queens, NYC.

I know that Giovanni had a brother named Marco who ended up around Chicago, and another brother who ended up around Pittsburgh (we think his name is Aquilo/Achille because the kids called him Zio Gil when he came to visit). We also know that Giovanni had a sister, but nobody remembers her name.

I'd love to find out more about my family, so if you have roots in Alvito or if you know anything about the Ioli family, please don't hesitate to contact me! Parlo e scrivo l'italiano anche. Thanks so much!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Ioli from Alvito

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 14 listings for Ioli in Alvito. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Ioli inthe first line and Alvito in the second line and click CERCA for the 14 listings by fuull name, address and telephone numbers.

If you wish to write one letter to all of them or even a few then you can send a form letter to a possible relative(s) go to www.initialy.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm

If you wish to obtain documents from Alvito like Birth.marriage or death records then go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html which is free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
JLYN85

Post by JLYN85 »

Thank you for your advice, Peter!
I've already looked up the paginebianche.it site and also found a group on Facebook for Alvitani. I've been sending messages to some people there, which is really cool. I speak Italian too, which helps.

My parents wrote to the Comune in 1995 to get the birth certificate for Giovanni Ioli, and there was some confusion since they also sent us a marriage certificate for Giovanni Ioli and a woman named Valeria Mazzenga, who was not my great-grandmother. I connected with a distant relative through ancestry.com and confirmed that there were two Giovanni Ioli's from Alvito born around the same time, and they actually were second cousins. The other Giovanni (my great grandfather's second cousin) married Valeria.

I realize this sounds complicated, but do you have any idea how the two Giovanni Ioli's were mixed up? The birthday and parent names on the erroneous marriage certificate match my great-grandfather, but he wasn't the one who got married to Valeria. He'd already gone to America and was about to marry my great-grandmother, Assunta Colletta, in New Jersey in 1908, when the other wedding happened in Alvito. Do you think this is just a paperwork error by the Comune? I'd love to clear that up, if possible.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to the Comune again to find out about Giovanni's siblings, and grandparents too. My parents and I want to plan a trip there this year to visit, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it! If you have any ideas about the marriage certificate, please let me know.

Grazie mille!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I suspect its a paperwork error. They probably searched the indexes and took the first one they found. It's easily done.
There are some great photos of Alvito on my website if you haven't been there before.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JLYN85

Post by JLYN85 »

Thanks so much!
I figured it was a paperwork error - I'll try to find the real thing when I end up going there. Hopefully we'll get there this year.
I've seen your site and it's amazing - those are great pictures! I'd love to talk to you more about Alvito!
rosati6360

Post by rosati6360 »

OMG!! I can't believe I found this...I started with a family tree and now I'm writing a book. I recently found out that my great grandparents came from rome but traveled to alvito (because of the malaria outbreak). i recently found out that my great grandparents were vincenzo rosati and maria-terea ioli. they had 4 children, pietro, two daughters and my grandfather, luciano born in 1888. i know there are ioli's that reside in boston. luciano was 18 years younger than his brother which would mean maria teresa would've been born around 1840s. it's very difficult finding info on ioli. where did you get that info
JLYN85

Post by JLYN85 »

Hi!
Wow, that's awesome!
My dad wrote to the Comune of Alvito in 1995 to get some more information, and they sent us Giovanni's birth certificate (my great-grandfather) and also a marriage certificate that was incorrect (since there were 2 Giovanni Ioli's around the same age who were actually second cousins).

Do you know if Luciano and his siblings were born in Alvito? If so, you can probably get copies of their birth certificates sent to you. If you write to the Comune and ask for them to find the documents (send them a money order for their response) they should get back to you. My dad did that when I was a kid, so I'm not sure how it works now, but I think that's what to do. I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong about that process!!

Here is a link to the Comune of Alvito: http://www.comune.alvito.fr.it/site/ind ... &Itemid=72

I'm trying to find out more about my family from there, too, so let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck!
rosati6360

Post by rosati6360 »

thank you so much....i'm going to try and write a letter as suggested in hopes of finding more info. i know that luciano was born in alvito, but depending on the months of his siblings birth determines if they were born in alvito or rome. i think i would write both, rome and alvito. if you find anything more out about ioli please let me know! i do know that luciano was the only one out of his 4 siblings (and parents) who traveled to america....he did come with cousins, on the ship registry it looks like "lallo" berardino and "lallo" pasquale...i've realized that there are quite a few misspellings on last names and birthdates. on some of lucianos documents it has ioli and some have lallo. just like rosati is spelled rosato....birthdates are also incorrect. also, i know that most everyone was baptised at san rocco in alvito or st. peter basilica in rome. i do know that where the airport sits in rome is where they use to live. it does make the puzzle a little more challenging! best of luck!

diane
rosati6360

Post by rosati6360 »

one last thing that i just thought of that may help in your quest....my grandmother, rosa pellecchia, came from alvito. luciano's family worked for rosa's father, giuseppe pellecchia. giuseppe owned a very large farm and employed vincenzo rosati and other family members. vincenzo and giuseppe's families go back many many years. in fact, giuseppe gave vincenzo a home to live in while working in alvito. i would think that the ioli family must've worked for him also. hope this helps!

diane
JLYN85

Post by JLYN85 »

hi diane!

wow, that is interesting! i'll have to check that out! good luck with your search, and i'll let you know if i find out anything else!!
Rosati4756

Post by Rosati4756 »

I can't believe what I'm reading....I did a Google search on Conca della Campania because I'll be living in Napes for 6 months and want to search for my grandfather's family. My dad is Joseph Rosati, son of Pietro Rosati and grandson of Vincenzo Rosati!!! I would love to get in contact with anyone in that line!!!!
easy546

Post by easy546 »

JLYN85 wrote:Hi!

My family came from Alvito, Italy (Lazio, Frosinone). My great-grandfather was named Giovanni Ioli, and he was born in 1881. He came to America and married Assunta Colletta (from Conca della Campania, Caserta) in 1908. They came back to Conca della Campania where they had a daughter, Lucia, in 1912, and then ended up settling in Corona, Queens, NYC.

I know that Giovanni had a brother named Marco who ended up around Chicago, and another brother who ended up around Pittsburgh (we think his name is Aquilo/Achille because the kids called him Zio Gil when he came to visit). We also know that Giovanni had a sister, but nobody remembers her name.

I'd love to find out more about my family, so if you have roots in Alvito or if you know anything about the Ioli family, please don't hesitate to contact me! Parlo e scrivo l'italiano anche. Thanks so much!
easy546

Post by easy546 »

My family came from Alvito. My great grandmother's name was Francesco Iola. His name was Loreta. Something not right here. I think it should be Ioli.
By the way I live in Pittsburgh.
markjisr

Post by markjisr »

My Grandparents both came from Alvito ( Vittorio Ioli and Maria Macioce )...Vittorio's parents were Cesidio Ioli and Maria Crescenza Capoccia...Maria's parents were Anthony Macioce and Benedetta Zegarolla...I know Victor had 2 brothers (Phillip and Joseph), but that is about where I hit the wall...I'd like to find out more about Victor and Maria's family in Alvito...Victor and Maria came to Pittsburgh PA around 1910.
annr4697@yahoo.com

Post by annr4697@yahoo.com »

Hello,
I am a real Newbie to this forum. I have just discovered my husband's gr grandmother was CATARINA IOLI from Alvito born 1888 Italy. Married NICOLA SANTORO. Came to the US in 1921 to stay (had been here before). They lived in the Chicago, IL area. I have seen the info for Giovanni Ioli on Ancestry. Wondering if CATARINA could be related??? Any info greatly appreciated!
Supposedly she had been in Pittsburg, PA in 1908 and a daughter Eugenia was born there. Eugenia married Francesco Rondinelli also of Alvito.
Ann Rossi