Interesting info on marriage record from Montese. Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Interesting info on marriage record from Montese. Help

Post by adamf »

So a couple of months ago I received some records in response to a request to the comune of my forefathers.

One was a marriage record of Ferdinando Sabbatini and Melania Franceschi on Feb. 23, 1882.

As you can see from the record, a number of children are listed with birthdates prior to this marriage, including my GGGF Pietro in 1879.

Is this a list of children born out of wedlock, or were they Ferdinando's from another marriage? The reason I ask is Pietro's birth record lists Melania has his mother, even though she was apparently not yet married to Ferdinando. Perhaps it was a common law situation. I don't know what the customs were at the time.

Thoughts??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamfannin ... 465435017/
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Interesting info on marriage record from Montese. Help

Post by BillieDeKid »

I believe it says the children were from the natural union of Ferdinando and Melania ........ meaning not wed at the time but together. Hopefully one of the members from italy will tell you exactly what it means.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

BillieDeKid wrote:I believe it says the children were from the natural union of Ferdinando and Melania ........ meaning not wed at the time but together. Hopefully one of the members from italy will tell you exactly what it means.
You are correct!
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

It could be that the couple was married with a religious ceremony, but not with a civil one. Until 1929 (Patti Lateranensi: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_Lateranensi ) the religious marriage (felt by the people like more important than the other) was not recognized by the state, that regarded it as a "unione naturale". Then (in my opinion), to settle the juridical position of the children, the couple resolved to have a civil wedding too.

Luca
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

I agree with Luca. People in those years where much more after religion than law. Priest and church could determine very strongly people's life.

Ada

P.S. For Italian members
Un altro esempio di Estratto "pietoso"?/Another example of a "badly made" Estratto?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

uantiti wrote:P.S. For Italian members
Un altro esempio di Estratto "pietoso"?
Ho visto di MOLTO peggio! Almeno qui ci sono le notizie fondamentali; resta il fatto che è sempre meglio chiedere copie integrali.

L.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Lucap wrote:
uantiti wrote:P.S. For Italian members
Un altro esempio di Estratto "pietoso"?
Ho visto di MOLTO peggio! Almeno qui ci sono le notizie fondamentali; resta il fatto che è sempre meglio chiedere copie integrali.

L.
Sì, sì ma era tanto per non smentirci 8O

A.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Thank you to all who replied. Very interesting.