Rende

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
LauraMT

Rende

Post by LauraMT »

I have traced my paternal grandmother back to the town of Rende in Cosenza (name was DeBartolo).

Does anyone have any information on this town?
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Rende

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

This should start you off. If you have any other questions, let us know.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/078/102/index.html
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Hi Laura! Rende is located in Cosenza Province in Calabria. I have some Rende records up on my website Cosenza Exchange You can also view photos of the town in the photo gallery there too. Unfortunately I have not had time to extract them yet. Cosenza Province has begun to put extractions of all the state civil records online, however, it is very incomplete at the moment. You have to register but it is free. You can go there here.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

This is another concise approach to seeking information. Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Rende and then click on Rende and that will give you the adminstrative addresses you will ned to obtain documents and records which is found under "municipio" and there may be an www url for the history and perhaps fotos and folklore about Rende.

Should you wish to obtain documents and records go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html whic h contsains form letters in Italian which can be used to obtain documents and records which are fee of charge in Italy.

To find any relatives go to www.paginebianche.it and put in De Bartolo (DeBartolo?) and in the second line put in Rende and click CERCA for all De Bartolo. You may wish to write to potential relatives by going to www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm =Peter=
~Peter~
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Laura...I clicked on your website and see you are a local girl. If you want to view some of the microfilms of Rende records, there are some at the Family history center in Palos Hills on permanent loan.
LauraMT

Post by LauraMT »

Thanks, all -- this is a great help.

Now the Mazzucas are another matter -- I noticed there are a lot of Mazzucas in Montalto Uffugo, but my relatives had listed Rovito as their hometown. I can't seem to even find any Ellis Island records that my grandfather and two uncles came over in 1908. Very frustrating!

thanks again...

Laura
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Laura,
I never did find my own grandfather's ship manifest and noone here could find it either. I think he swam here lol. But my American records told me his parents names and my grandfather's cousin's grand daughter told me what town they came from. I got everything else from the civil records. Unfortunately for you Mazzuca's were in many Cosenza towns. Were they married here or in Italy? Perhaps her American death record will help you. Illinois death records are great and can be obtained online for a small fee. They should list place of birth, father's name and mother's maiden name. If you want me to look for your Rende records for you pm me and I will see what I can do.
LauraMT

Post by LauraMT »

Thanks, Cathy! That would be a great help.

And the story gets even more complicated -- I am adopted and my natural family are Angelicis from Genoa or Naples!!!
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

OK Laura...I can look through Rende for you (I only have a few films at my center so I am not sure I will have the years that you need). I need the person's name and approximate birth year to find your record...as much info as possible since DeBartolo is very common in the area.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you want to know about the town of Rende then go to www.tiscali.it and put in RENDE inthe title and the first 3 websites that come up with have fotos and information about the town in Italian and sometimes in english as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
LauraMT

Post by LauraMT »

Thanks, all -- Cathy, I sent the info to your Cosenza Exchange Website (assuming you are the Webmaster?) -- if not, please let me know where I can e-mail you.

thanks!

Laura
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I realize this is an old post but I wanted to let you know that I am doing some research for someone whose relatives are from Rovito and I have all the films on permanent loan at my FHC.

Let me know if you need anything from there and I will try to look it up for you.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database