finding last names

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
croy

finding last names

Post by croy »

I have acquired a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate. It has my grandfathers mothers maiden name on it, but doesn't show my grandmothers mothers maiden name, there is a line drawn in its place??? Is there any way for me to find out what it is ?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: finding last names

Post by PeterTimber »

I need years of what you are talking about?? In order to know if records may exist hgaving the information you are seeking I need to know the years so that I can know how to direct your efforts???? The name of the town of origin is critical so that if records exist where to go.....=Peter=
~Peter~
croy

Post by croy »

My grandparents had already come to the U.S. when they married. Can you still help? They were married in Boston, Mass. on April 17,1915. It was recorded on April 20. Their names were Biagio Tomassi and Emanuela DiNosse. My grandfathers mothers maiden name was Permasilisi, my grandmothers first name was Carmela, but no last name is written in. Sorry if I am asking an impossible question for you to answer where as its in the U.S. I have never done this before.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

If they were married in Boston, then it is possible her maiden name will be on her death certificate. If you know where she died, obtain a copy of her death record from the local (where she died) civil office. In Illinois the parents names are also on the death record which often (not always) includes mothers maiden name. Not sure about Mass. but it is worth a look.
croy

Post by croy »

Thanks for responding Cathy but one of us is confused. =) I know what my grandmothers maiden name was, but don't know what my great grandmothers last name was. I wasn't sure reading your post that you understood that. My maternal great grandmother never came to the U.S. I am sure she died in Italy, but its my understanding that they don't have any vital records online=(
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

I understood. My great grandmother's death certificate only listed her dad's name. But the death certificates of her brother and 2 sisters listed both parents full names which included their mothers maiden name and their places of birth. Its worth a shot.
croy

Post by croy »

Thank you Cathy
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

For example, I am posting a copy of Carmela Martino's Chicago death record here. The copy is of poor quality but in the lower left hand side you can see the form says Mother's maiden name. This was required in Illinois at the time. My great grandmother's just said Caterina and the surname was left blank. But this one (her sister) is complete. This was obtained online for a fee (by a wonderful friend) through the State of Illinois vital records site.
croy

Post by croy »

Hi Cathy, I was able to access a copy of my grandmothers death certificate on line, It doesn't list her parents names. But, by being on this website, I connected with a second cousin who has copies of birth certificates with maiden names!!! Its a wonderful thing!
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

That's wonderful! Congratulations!