Storing your memories

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Storing your memories

Post by donnawright »

http://www.archives.gov/preservation/fa ... hotos.html

While looking for genealogy how-to's, I found this. I'm sure many of you are well into this, but it answered some questions for me. Perhaps others as well.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Storing your memories

Post by nuccia »

Thank You . Great link and worth sharing. I am in the process of re organizing all my own photos and my parents photos. Those old photo albums used back in the day ruin many pictures. If only someone had thought of preservation back then!

:)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

I have been scanning all photographs, labeling and dating so everyone can know who is who, when and where. Then I save to a well-named folder. Several folders are burned to CD (each son gets a copy) and I am also saving to an external harddrive. In addition I already have done this for all the antique fragile original documents from Italy. I have a huge plastic waterproof case for everything (we live in hurricane prone Florida)...family has been warned in case of fire save this box and my laptop! ha!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

bonval wrote:I have been scanning all photographs, labeling and dating so everyone can know who is who, when and where. Then I save to a well-named folder. Several folders are burned to CD (each son gets a copy) and I am also saving to an external harddrive. In addition I already have done this for all the antique fragile original documents from Italy. I have a huge plastic waterproof case for everything (we live in hurricane prone Florida)...family has been warned in case of fire save this box and my laptop! ha!
I am currently doing the same thing as I just inherited a bunch of old pictures belonging to my husbands late father. I am making copies and storing one in the Safe Deposit Box. I really don't want anything to happen to these
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

I know you also mentioned the old film - mzake sure you save that to DVD - VISTA has the Windows Media program and it allows making DVDs - you can videotape the film and then burn a CD using S cables - or send it out to be done professionally - but it is worth saving those old films! My mom had set up a screen and ran slides and old movies a few years ago and made video tape of them by using the camcorder to tape the film - she talked while recording telling about who was in the old 8mm and where they were and why! She also then ran old slides and video taped them - she gve one to both my sister and one to me! Now I am remaking it into a DVD!