Looking for the Zeni and Monti families.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
WalterZeni

Looking for the Zeni and Monti families.

Post by WalterZeni »

Any information greatly appreciated. All I know is they came from northern Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for the Zeni and Monti families.

Post by PeterTimber »

If you go to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi a nbd first put in Zeni in upper left and click CERCA for surname distribution and do the same for Monti and you will be able to orient yourself and possibly your family origin in Italy. If you wish to conduct genealogy research we can assist you in your researches. =Peter=
~Peter~
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to IG!
You can see the surname distribution in Italy as provided by Peter, :wink:

If you would like to find the exact location, further research is needed.
Did they immigrate? Have you placed them on a manifest? Where did they live and what was the composition of the family? Husband, wife, children?
Full names and approximate year of birth? Have you conducted any research so far? By giving more specific detail, members can better direct your search!
wldspirit :)

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
these two surnames and particularly Zeni, are common in the Trentino-Alto Adige region, East side of Northern Italy bordering Austria.

Ada
WalterZeni

Post by WalterZeni »

Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry re: the "Zeni" and "Monti(e) families. Following is the information I have:
LORENZO ZENI -Birth Date - March 3, 1958; Parents Carlo Zeni and Theresa Monzetti (Munzelli?). Church Records in Scranton, Pennsylvania show his stated Birthplace as Como, Italy. (Checking personally with the Angrade Dept. in the Municipal Bldg In Como, No birth record was found. We were referred to the local church who had no records. The priest e-mailed us and gave us 5 cities in Italy were the name Zeni could be located. We have not returned to Italy to check the information received, and I am handciapped in that I don't speak or read Italian.) He Married Petronelia Monte in Manhattan, New York on February 12, 1885. She was born January 1, 1866 in Como, Lecco, Lombardia Italy. Her parents were Carlo Monti and Leonita Artelia. Their children, all born in the United States were Charles Lawrence Zeni, Josephine Zeni and Anna Zeni. (I am the son of Charles.) Petronelia died in April, 1915 from cancer; Lorenzo died in 1939. I am unable to located any record of Lorenzo's or Petronelia's arrival in the United States by Ship. Any information available would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your interest.
Walter Zeni (Grandson of Lorenzo and Petronelia)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your orientation is off. Ciomo and Lecco are both capitals for their respective provinces and each have a slew of towns and villages under their respective jurisdictions. Since the town of origin is vital to knowing about families,obtaining documents and other things you have to know this information before you can proceed in an orderly fashion.

May I suggest that you first read How to do your own Italian Genealogy Research and then rephrase your questions to us so that we can assist you. This means you are going to start over and seeif any family oral history can shed any light on this information. As an added point of information women do not lose their identity and only children take on the fathers name so any women arriving as a passenger to the USA will arrive in her maiden name even if she is married.

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html =Peter=
~Peter~
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I am currently indexing Trento Baptisms for the FHL. Zeni is a very popular surname there. Not that this information helps much..you have search for records in this country and their ship passenger list, in the hopes that you find the exact town name.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

PeterTimber wrote:. As an added point of information women do not lose their identity and only children take on the fathers name so any women arriving as a passenger to the USA will arrive in her maiden name even if she is married.
This is usually true, and is the norm, but it has happened when woman traveled using their married name..especially if arriving with their spouses. I found a few such cases in my own family recently so don't rule anything out.

You may also want to contact member elba. She lives near Como and may be able to offer some advice.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Given the early time frame of immigration, I doubt that there will be anything of value in a manifest...... :?

Naturalization could be a good avenue, but if prior to 1906, that information could be sketchy as well.

This one will take some thought.....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Nuccia you are right in that there are instances where the person who prepared the ships manifest would refer to the female using her husbands surname since quite often German Lloyd and other North European shipping companies were heavily engaged in the immigrant trade. I should have allowed for a little breeze in church!!! =Peter=
~Peter~