Name on certificate of death?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Name on certificate of death?

Post by Vivian »

Family information indicates that my great great grandmother died in Manhattan, New York, in approximately 1945. I've ordered and received several death certificates that I thought might be her but didn't turn out to be her, yet I've been unable to find her. Does anyone know if death records were ever recorded under a woman's maiden name or her birth name? My great great grandfather died in 1955 and his death certificate shows he was a widower, and I'm sure that they were married to each other when she passed. Another strange mystery is that she is not buried in the grave with the remains of her husband, brother and 6 of her 7 children, although she died before her husband and second born son. Any help is greatly appreciated. Vivian
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Name on certificate of death?

Post by Essgee »

In this country, they were usually listed under the name of the husband...unless they came over and were widowed and never assumed the name of the husband. Exceptions occur.

Based upon what you state, give us her maiden name, her married name and where in NY she lived. Do you know when her last child was born? Sometimes if a person died early, they were buried in a cemetery apart from the husband....he moved, etc. and he was maybe buried by a child who died before him because they owned that plot.

Have you checked the cemetery to see if she might be buried there, but in another part of the cemetery?

Gives us the info on her name, etc, and maybe someone here can help.
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Essgee, thank you for your reply. I've tried everything without success and now I'm just grasping at straws. Her name was Caterina Tesio and her maiden name was Varino, she lived in Manhattan, and her last child was born in 1895. Last year I visited the family grave sites of all of her children, her husband, her brother, and her in-laws. I also paid for a search of those four graves (finding other children that I did not know of). They can help no further without a date of death, which I do not have. Thanks again, Vivian
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I had a heck of a time, getting an exact death date for my husbands grandmother. She died in the early 60s and we both remembered the year she died..even the month.

I tried their local newspaper, but they wouldnt search the month for me..for an obit. They would give me the obit..if I had the exact date..heh, but thats what I thought I could get from them.

I even called their church..and the woman I spoke to..claimed she was looking at the records..as we spoke and she wasnt there.

Years passed by, we got the internet..and eventually, I came across a website for that church with a priests email. So, I took a chance and emailed him. Would you believe within a few days, he sent me the information I needed.

If you know their local church at the time..that might be worth a shot.

Use the married name. I doubt she was buried using her maiden name.
Vivian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vivian »

Eleven, Thank you, I'll give the church a try. I appreciated hearing about your experience. Vivian