bottos surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GreekAthena

bottos surname

Post by GreekAthena »

Hello,
Would anyone be able to tell me if Botto is the same surname as Bottos? I am trying to find the town of origin for Bottos, and I am not having much luck. I am trying to find out if my great grandmothers relatives were Italian instead of Greek. My great grandmother was born and raised in Greece, and so were her parents etc. I simply want to see if this is infact an italian surname. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Athena
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: bottos surname

Post by ptimber »

Dear Athena Yassu! there are 56 towns concentrated mostly on the veneto and friuli venezia giulia regions of extreme northeast Italy with the surname BOTTOS and there are 356 towns in the extreme northeast region of Piemonte Aosta, Liguria and Lombardia regions. The base name in Italy for both would appear to be Bottai which stems from the 12th century latin Bottarius,Botariolus and Botinus. The italian surname dictionary makes no reference to Botto or Bottos no does it bring up any Greek connection. Peter
GreekAthena

Post by GreekAthena »

Peter,
Thank you. Do you have any more information about this surname?

Athena
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

GreekAthena wrote:Hello,
Would anyone be able to tell me if Botto is the same surname as Bottos? I am trying to find the town of origin for Bottos, and I am not having much luck. I am trying to find out if my great grandmothers relatives were Italian instead of Greek. My great grandmother was born and raised in Greece, and so were her parents etc. I simply want to see if this is infact an italian surname. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Athena
Hi Botto surname are tipically of Piemonte and Liguria region, deriving from middleage's name Bottus; are traces of this surname in "Codice Diplomatico della Lombardia medievale", in an act of 1169 are wrote in latin language and regard an gate of Lambro river in Milan : "...Albertum qui dicitur de Rivolta et Bottum qui dicitur Salinarius de Meleniano, nominative de ponte de Meleniano(Melegnano-Milano) edificato supra flumen Lambri et de omnibus rebus territoriis et buschis...". Other traces this surname are in Ardesio (Bergamo) in 1500 year with notarian(Peter come si dice NOTAIo in inglese? help me) Agostino Botto son Giovan Antonio of Ardesio and to Milano in 1502 with an Bergonzio Bottus of Milan's government .
Regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Suanj the word is NOTARY. Peter

Dear Athena ther northern regions but to see for yourself there is a website www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html which will give you the regions and the number of towns having such surnamed persons as you indicate. Then go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the surname in the first line and the region name in the third line and click CERCA.When the listing appears there will be other listings for Comunes, provinces etc.Just click and see what happens. Peter
shoshona11

Post by shoshona11 »

Hi.

My greatgrandmother's name was Fortuna BOTTO and she lived in Siano Italy.

Does anyone have any info on the following names: Aliberti, Leo, DiFilippo, Roscigno (Rossino), Donnarumma?

Thanks.

Orit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Try www.google.com and insert the surnames with the word genealogy alongside for anyone doing any research on the particular name in the title. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

to start checking.These are the enteries for Bottos at Ellis Island:
1. Angelo Bottos Pasiano, Italy 1912 19
2. Angelo Bottos 1911 41
3. Angelo Bottos 1912
4. Augusta Bottos Chions, Udine 1920 30
5. Commato Bottos Millecunes, Italy 1913 33
6. Ferruccio Bottos Pasiano, Italy 1913 19
7. Ferruccio Bottos Pasiano, Italy 1920 25
8. Georgios Bottos Camari 1906 20
9. Giocomo Bottos Azzano, Italy 1913 29
10. Giovanni Bottos Azzano, Italy 1912 40
11. Giovanni Bottos Codroipo, Italy 1913 30
12. Giovanni Bottos F... di, ...dine 1910 18
13. Giovanni Bottos Pordenone, Driuli 1923 23
14. Giovanni Bottos Rombas, France 1923 31
15. Giuseppe Bottos Fiume, Udine 1909 23
16. Giuseppina Bottos Azzano X., Italy 1919 19
17. Luigi Bottos Corva, Italy 1923 24
18. Maria Bottos Sesto al Raghena, Udine 1922 24
19. Mario Bottos S. Vito al Tagliamento, Italy 1923 17
20. Sante Bottos FIUME, VODINE 1910 28
21. Sante Bottos Udine, Italy 1910 32
22. Valention Bottos S. Vito al Tagliamento, Italy 1909 34

As you can see...most all come from Italy and find none coming from Greece. Chances are the name is associated with these towns above....most seem to be in the Region of FVG. May be a place to start ...
The name came from two towns in Friuli Venezia Giulia Region-- Codroipo in the Province of Udine (UD) and Corva in the Province of Pordenone.
(PN)

Use www.paginebianche.it as Peter noted and see if you find anyone of this name there today.
crete

Post by crete »

re bottos surname.

My grandmother was a Botto

There are traces of Bottos in Greece. Look under Botts Bott, and Bottino
There were also Bottos in Constantinople at one time, the family probably originated in the Genoa area, either in the town itself or in the Chiavari and the villages above - rapelllo, boursanasca, sturla valley.

The name is spread widely through Europe and turns up in Spain,Czech republic, and Hungary Prussia as well as Sicily in Italy. They started moving a long time earlier than the mass migration to the US many of them going to South America.

I'm interested in your Greek connection as my late husband was greek.
GreekAthena

Post by GreekAthena »

Hi,
Your post was very interesting. While searching online, I have found that if you spell Botos with one T it is Hungarian. That is how it is spelled in Greek (with one t). So, I figured from what others have told me that it is a Hungarian surname.

In your post, were you saying that the surname Botos or Bottos is Italian in origin...no matter where you find it? Was your grandmother living in Greece as well? I'd like to hear more about your Greek connection.

The Botos family that I know of in Greece lives in Epirus, 20 minutes from the Albanian border. I can't really figure out WHERE they came from because the church that held the records was burned by the Turks. So...I have limited names that I can go by. All we know is that they came down from the north.

I appreciated your response to my post. I hope to hear from you soon!

Athena
pnkldy74

Post by pnkldy74 »

There is a mausoleum in southern Illinois that has the last name SAUP at the very top. Then below that is an area with the names of those buried in it and they are Antonio and Agostino Botto. It says they were both born in Italy. I have a picture of it but not sure how to post it here.
scalim
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scalim »

My grandmothers side is BOTTOS and they were from AZZANO DECIMO in PORDENONE, FRIULI