Recycling names of deceased children

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Recycling names of deceased children

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I have spent several hours today researching my maternal grandparents and their relatives, all of whom were from Malvito, Cosenza, using the ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI COSENZA web site.

On one branch of the tree, I find Muzio Ursumarzo (1799-1840) and his spouse Innocenza Iannuzzi (? - ?). From what I can see, they had four children, as follows:

Maria Antonia, b.1823 d. 1834
Maria Michelina, b.1826
Carolina Giuseppina b.1832
Maria Antonia, b.1836

Carolina married Francesco Antonio Di Cianni, one of the sons of my maternal great-great-great-gandparents.

However, it is the two Maria Antonia who catch my eye. I vaguely recall that it was not unusual to "recylce" names in this manner after the early death of a child. Can someone confirm?
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Recycling names of deceased children

Post by misbris »

You are correct. If an infant or small child died, the name was often given to a later child.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

misbris wrote:You are correct. If an infant or small child died, the name was often given to a later child.
Thanks, I had thought so.

On the Di Cianni side, my great-great-great-gandparents had five children. The youngest, Maria Rafaela Agata Di Cianni (b.1816 d.1817), died at less than 18 months of age. The next three children were boys who lived well into adulthood. In 1828 another girl was born; she was named Maria Rosa Agata Di Cianni and - sadly, incredibly - she died in 1830 at just 2 years and nine days of age.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Because of this, you have to be very careful when finding the correct ancestor. You need the date of birth. We almost got the wrong grandmother for my husband, not knowing there was one born before her with the same name.

My father is a second born son with the same name.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Eleven wrote:Because of this, you have to be very careful when finding the correct ancestor. You need the date of birth. We almost got the wrong grandmother for my husband, not knowing there was one born before her with the same name.

My father is a second born son with the same name.
Good point, and yet another reason why the Italian consulates sometimes appear to be nit-picking over (seemingly) small name and date variations when reviewing jure sanguinis applications.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Yes, names are often recycled..and are done so until one child lives to adulthood. I had one relatives who used the name four times before a child lived. I have another relative lost a daughter when she turned six so she had another child, but it turned out to be a son. She could not have anymore children after that so when her sons reached adulthood they decided they would name their first daughter that name. Oddly enough, it was the son who was born last that had the first daughter and so he honoured his sisters memory.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Not sure "recycle" is the best method of describing the actual practice of naming a child after a deceased sibling.

Naming patterns being important for centuries, if a son died that carried the name of his grandfather, it was important that the next son born carry that grandfather's name to continue the tradition. Same with the daughters.

Know I am being picky here, but recycling sounds so cold an explanation for what is a so dearly held practice over the generations. Names have meanings...like words. And it is in the meaning of those names that almost commands them being bestowed on a child born after the death of the child so named.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Susan,

You are not being picky at all. In fact, I think you are being more than fair...recycling is a poor choice of words. Thanks for pointing that out.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

nuccia wrote:Susan,

You are not being picky at all. In fact, I think you are being more than fair...recycling is a poor choice of words. Thanks for pointing that out.
I will also agree that "recycling" was not the ideal term to describe the situation; it was simply the first word which came to mind and would permit me to create a subject line which clearly defined my question. I could have said "Reusing names of deceased children" but that would not have been much better, would it?
zona1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zona1 »

The technical word for re-using the name of a dead person is NECRONYM.
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veronesi-Guardini »

It happens in English records as well. I often find two children with the same name after one has died in infancy