Sprufera / Sprofera

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Sprufera / Sprofera

Post by barbarasprufera »

I am looking for anyone who can provide information on the Sprufera or Sprofera family. They are both the same family - don't know why there is a variation on spelling. My family came to US around 1870 - do not know which port they entered.
The Sprufera's / Sprofera's are from Mezzojuso it which is located in the northwestern part of Sicily, approximately 22 miles south of Palermo on the Agrigento road.
Any information or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Barbara
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Sprufera / Sprofera

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to IG!
Are you interested in US records or Italian records?
Can you provide additional information....first names? Birthdates? Even a year would be helpful.... Spouse's maiden name if married.....married in US?
Which state did they reside in? Children?
Members can better direct your search if they know what your research goals are..... :wink:
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

I am actually interested in either US or Italian. The Sprufera / Sprofera mystery of the mis-spelled last name is one search I am on. Part of my family legally spells it one way, the other side spells it the other way. I know family came from a town called Mezzojuso it - possibly sometime around 1870. I do not know if they came in through Castle Clinton in NY or Ellis Island. Those who came in are Guiseppe Giovanni (Joseph John) Sprofera with his wife Giuseppina (Josephine) LaMonte (spelling may be incorrect). They had children John, Anna or Annie (possibly born Carmella), Thomas Sprufera and Frank (Leonard) Sprufera). This family settled in NYC and immediate outer areas (Queens, etc) I do know of others who came through Ellis Island between 1895 and 1921 - names are Maria and Paolino Sprufera (did not come at the same time) and Dorotea, Flippo, Gaspare, Giorgio, Guiseppe, Nicola and Salvatore Sprofera. I know nothing of the second group, but to assume they are relatives? Any information or guidance would be so appreciated.
Thank you!
Barbara Sprufera Ruggles
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi,

I was trying to track down some info for you, but I ran into a perplexing problem. The name (both spellings) does not seem to exist in Italy today.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

Yet, there are Ellis Island records for both spellings from the town of Mezzojusto. Therefore the name must have existed at one time. The names Sprofero, as well as Sprofeto,( a mistranscription) also appear. Earliest arrival seems to be 1890.

Do you have any US records? (Censuses, draft cards, naturalization details) It might be easier to track these first.

Surprisingly, La Monte is also pretty rare, but also appears on Ellis Island from that town. But, no Giuseppa or Giuseppina.

Where did the family settle when they first got here?

We have a great expert on Italian names on this site, she may be able to shed some light on this.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi All,

:? I'm a little perplexed too...
but, possible the last name was mispelled... I found a similar last name present both in Sicily and Calabria regions... it's Sproviero/Sprovieri ...
Maybe we should search using this one...
Laura
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am not the female but a male but I think I can help things along here.. Both surnames are local in origin and are not listed inthe current surname distribution thruout Italy (www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi). They are not listed in the Italian surname dictionary so the could also be imported from abroad and Italianized over the years or as I stated above could be based upon local folklore in Sicily.=Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

:? Also Profera should be a good clue....
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

There is some census information from NY 1910 that shows our family but it is difficult to read I am told, so they are not sure if it is Spru or Spro. It indicates John, Josephine, Joseph, Annie, Thomas and another name that can't be read. These I know are my Grandfather (Thomas) and his parents and his siblings.

New Jersey 1910 Census shows lots of Sprofera's - we have not connected them I believe, directly to our family, although I am sure they are related in some way. I do not not know specifically where in NY my family all settled. Some in Woodhaven, some in NYC - some also moved out to Long Island in later years.

Can you advise me on the best starting point. Purchasing birth certificates? etc. and if so do I just contact the state of NY? I have not joined any groups at this point, but would be willing to - do you have recommendations for which groups are best?

I have heard from family members that our name had been "amercianized" to some degree as it was difficult to get jobs with an Italian surname at that time. I don't know to what extent this is true or not?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Barbara,

Here is 1890 arrival for the family:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Giuseppe Sprofera
Name: Giuseppe Sprofera
Arrival Date: 8 May 1890
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Olympia
Search Ship Database: Search the Olympia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_547
List Number: 621
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

[img=http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/319/ ... bb1.th.jpg]

travelling with La Morte? Giuseppa and child Giuseppa (female) Domenico, Giovanni, Tommaso....

Laura
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you Laura! I tried to read the pages, but it was too dark. Is there another way I can see the copy?
Thank you!
Barbara
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

you're welcome Barbara!
Usually the copies on Ancestry.com are very good but this one it's very dark...
However they are listed as the lasts on the manifest...
You can clearly see La Morte?Monte Giuseppa maybe her husband above and her child below...
I noticed there is also a naturalization mark on their names... maybe if we could find the naturalization document it can be very helpful...
Do you know your grandfather Thomas's birth date?

Laura
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Yes, his date of birth is 4/17/1893 and his name was Thomas Peter Sprufera. Do you recommend me joining Ancestry.com? I have been told several sites, I just am not sure which one will provide the most information. I also looked on Ellis Island and found a Guisepppe Sprofera that came over with a Female Nunzia LaBarbera - age 39. There was also a Gaspare and Salvatore that came with her? I wonder if the name LaBarbera is connected to our family?
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Also Laura, we believe the name is La or Le Monte. I have a record of marriage dated 8/6/1916 that shows Guiseppina LaMonte as the mother of Guiseppe Sprofera ? I can't read it to determine if it is Le or La. My Dad always assumed it was La.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Barbara,

If they lived in NY, try this site. Put in the name Spr*fer* as a wild card. It will bring up variations of the name and possible family.

http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Barbara,

Ancestry.com has very large databases, I'm sure you should find many records concerning your family...
There are other sites but I'm not expert of them...
This is just an example (in case you don't have it):

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Thomas Sprufera
Name: Thomas Sprufera
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: New York
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1893
Race: White
Roll: 1766252
DraftBoard: 128

this is your grandfather's military enlistment for the First World War...

[img=http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5353/s ... pp8.th.jpg]

Well, I hope some other member "jump" in your discussion to help you because I'm from Italy and for me it's 10.36 p.m. :wink:

Good luck!
Laura