Conflicting censuses

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Conflicting censuses

Post by nfig1 »

Greetings and HELP PLEASE. :? I have letters of no record regarding my GGGF's naturalization from the county level, NARA, and USCIS. The problem is that the Italian consulate also wants certified copies of the census covering the birth year of my GGF (1888), and the 1900 census says my GGGF was "PA" in 1900. The 1920 census taker screwed up and wrote his year of naturalization in the year of immigration column and vice versa, thus indicating he naturalized in 1885 and immigrated in 1913, when the opposite is what was intended. The 1910 census says "NA" in 1908. The 1912 Rule applies. Judging by the 1910 census, I don't qualify, but according to the 1920 census, I do. Furthermore, if he had indeed naturalized, there should have been some sort of record, and there is none. What do you advise? Thank you very much.

Nick F.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Conflicting censuses

Post by jcat »

do you have other documents to show the census' error ? Can you just present the 1920 census, and have you checked the 1930 census. a ships manifest would also have pertinent info.
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nfig1 »

As far as I know, the only relevant documents accepted in case of no record of naturalization found are certified censuses. Unfortunately, I have to show the 1900 census since my GGF's birth records were destroyed. I may be able to avert having to use the 1910 census, but the 1920 is a must since it shows year of naturalization.

My problem is the fact that the censuses from that era are notoriously incorrect and full of inconsistencies, yet they are showing that he naturalized in 1908 and 1913. It is impossible to know. I have all the agencies showing no record of naturalization, then three conflicting census reports with different naturalization dates. It is a mess, and I am very worried how the consulate will treat these discrepancies. I don't know why they would even bother to use the censuses when they are so inaccurate.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

yes, I agree as most of the old census takers were given information by neighbors and children and not always by the actual people being counted in the census.You mentioned at the county level no naturalization papers were found. Maybe checking with the District court to see if there is any record there as I read in some cases naturalizations took place there and not the Supreme court. Have you tried contacting the consulate and explain your situation, maybe they can offer some other alternatives. Hope all works out for you ...
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com