Census records for Minetti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Census records for Minetti

Post by JoeC »

Hi -

I'm trying to find the 1920 and 1930 census records for my great-grandparents. According to their marriage certificate, their names were Carmine Minetti and Teresina Gargiula. They were married on March 7, 1914 in New York City. I've been told by my grandmother that they lived in New York city until around 1925 when they moved to Hoboken, NJ. I believe Carmine was born Jan 2, 1885 and died Mar 23, 1942. Teresina was born Apr 1, 1887 and died Apr 7, 1960. They had seven children:
Carmella (Jan 3, 1915), Michael (Jun 5, 1916), Andrew (Oct 20, 1917), Viola (Jan 9, 1919), Mario (Sep 2, 1920), Vito (Mar 31, 1922) and Maria (Aug 25, 1923).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks -
Joe
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Census records for Minetti

Post by jcat »

you can sign up for a free two week trial at ancestry.com and there you will find both the 1920 & 1930 US Census Reports........
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

you can also go to www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm and look them up under marriages in NY since you have both names and dates of marriage. =Peter=
~Peter~
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

JoeC,

Not sure if you have this but here's a copy of Carmine Minetti's Delaration and Petition for Naturalization.

http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ionww1.jpg

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeC »

Biff: Thank you for the document. I did not have a copy of it.

Peter: Thanks for the url. I was able to get some marriage information for some other relatives of mine.

jcat: Thanks for suggesting the free trial at Ancestry.com. I'll have to give it a try.

Joe
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

JoeC, Your welcome and good luck. that document provided by Biff is a goldmine !
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeC »

Biff: That really is an impressive document. I really appreciate getting it. Can you tell me how I may be able to get similar documents for other ancestors in my family tree?

Peter: I was not able to find any census information from the url you suggested. Maybe I missed something? I have been using HeritageQuest, which is available for use from my local library. I'm not sure why, but I have not been able to locate either the 1920/1930 census records for my great-grandfather, Carmine Minetti. Do you have any ideas on possible alternate spellings or things like that I can search on?

Thanks -
Joe
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Joe,

I located the naturalization record on Ancestry. Footnote also has a number of naturalization records. Both are pay sites.

Don't feel too bad, I'm using Ancestry and have still not found any census info on Carmine and family. Did Carmine go by any other first name; did he change his surname by any chance?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Joe I only have 1920 census for Alabama and California. lately many of the hithertofore fruitful and free websites have become paying websites making it difficult if you are not a member in good standing. There is a website that I used to use that may still be useful in some shape or fashion for you at www.worldvitalrecords.com =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: I did a name check and found that there are 370 listings for Carmine Minetta in 158 indexes and that is as far as I can get without loose change. =Peter=
~Peter~
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeC »

Biff: As far as I know, and from all of the information I do have, such as immigration records from Ellis Island, marriage certificates, the surname was always and is still Minetti. I don't think Carmine went by any other name, but am not sure. I was able to find another great-grandparent census for 1920 recently, which on HeritageQuest, the surname was transcribed as Zimbella. The real surname is Zampella. I found that by searching on given name and several other parameters, and then just browsed the results until I found a record that was definitely them. Haven't been able to do that yet with Carmine Minetti, though...

Peter: Thanks for the url. I will definitely take a look and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help!
Joe
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am hesitant to mention that Carmine is more often a southern Italian first name rather than one normally found in Northern Italy,however, I feel it would be remiss of me to overlook the obvious and not mentionthat there are 5 towns in Lombardia having inhabitants whose last names are MINETTA with no Carmine in evidence at www.paginebianche.it. =Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi all,
It is mispelled but this is 1920 census for Carmine....

1920 United States Federal Census
about Caremino Mentino
Name: Caremino Mentino
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 1, New York, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Tessie
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1908
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 1008
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Caremino Mentino 35 head, occupation grocer
Tessie Mentino 32 wife
Mildred Mentino 5 daughter
Michael Mentino 3 son
Amdio Mentino 2 5/12 son
Viola Mentino 1 daughter

Address: 91? Roosvelt street

[img=http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7901/m ... is1.th.jpg]

Laura
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeC »

Laura -

You are amazing! I don't know how you were able to find it with the mispelling, but I am very happy that you did. Any ideas for the 1930 census? I believe the family had moved to Hoboken, New Jersey by that time.

Thanks again!
Joe