Macchia da Sole

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lennyming

Macchia da Sole

Post by lennyming »

Looking for background information on my grandfather. He was born April 22, 1894. Lived in Macchia da Sole till about 9 years old. Left with his brothers to come to Canada approximately 1903 or so. Landed in Montreal, went to North Bay, Ontario, then after getting married moved to Hamilton, Ontario.
His name in Canada was Sam Baldassero, but his true given name was Salvatore. The spelling of his last name could have been changed when arriving in Canada. His true surname could possilby have been, Baldassare or di Baldassare or some version of this. Looking forward to learning about this area of Teramo and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Macchia da Sole

Post by suanj »

Hi, it could be your ancestor...?

Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1924
about Samuel Baldassero

Name: Samuel Baldassero
Birth Place: Rome Italy
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
Father Name: Domenick Baldassero
Mother Name: Mary Baldassero
Spouse Name: Selena Stoner

Spouse's Age: 18
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1902
Spouse Birth Place: Town of Gravenhurst Ontario
Spouse Father Name: James Stoner
Spouse Mother Name: Annie Welles
Marriage Date: 29 May 1920
Marriage Place: York
Marriage County: York
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Macchia da Sole is a hamleth of Valle Castellana town ( Teramo province, Abruzzo region IT) here you can learn more abt your ancestor birthplace:
http://www.castelmanfrino.it/sito%20in% ... GLESH.html

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lennyming

Post by lennyming »

Thank you so much. The information you have provided is correct, I beleive. That was my grandmothers name and the place she was born.
I will have to check to see if the names of my great grandparents are correct, but I think that you have them right.
My next step would be to find out about my grandfathers family in Macchia da Sole or the surrounding area. I would love to visit some day and be able to meet my relatives. Thank you again for your help, suanj!
lennyming

Post by lennyming »

Something else I would like to investigate is what ship they took to Canada and where it left from. Any ideas?
lennyming

Post by lennyming »

Is there some info. on my grandfathers brothers? Joe and Tony Baldassero. Could be Antonio and Guiseppe as well. Spelling of the last name may be Baldassaro. They travelled to North Bay, Ontario as well from Montreal after landing.
mery81

Post by mery81 »

My father was born in Macchia da Sole. He moved to Canada in the 70s and I believe that the last name Baldassaro is in our family tree. It is not our last name however, I believe that my great grandmother's maiden name was Baldassaro. Small world.
cali_dan

Post by cali_dan »

Hi,

Many families from Macchia da Sole moved to Hamilton, my parents being one of them, and my father worked for Baldasaro Contracting construction when he came to Canada. I don't know the first name but i will find out, but i do know that the Baldasaro that he worked for was from Macchia da sole originally. There are not many people left in Macchia da Sole, maybe 3 family, and my grandparents are one of the remaining families living there today. If you Google Mike Baldasaro, he is a son of the Baldasaro that was adopted into the family. You will see he is an interesting character. Macchia da Sole is very beautiful, i was there is 2007 it is worth visiting.
lennyming

Post by lennyming »

cali_dan wrote:Hi,

Many families from Macchia da Sole moved to Hamilton, my parents being one of them, and my father worked for Baldasaro Contracting construction when he came to Canada. I don't know the first name but i will find out, but i do know that the Baldasaro that he worked for was from Macchia da sole originally. There are not many people left in Macchia da Sole, maybe 3 family, and my grandparents are one of the remaining families living there today. If you Google Mike Baldasaro, he is a son of the Baldasaro that was adopted into the family. You will see he is an interesting character. Macchia da Sole is very beautiful, i was there is 2007 it is worth visiting.
Hi cali_dan,

I have met Micheal a number of times. He used to come over to our house when I was quite young and visit with my parents. He was the son of my mother's cousin. Yes, you are correct. He is quite a character.
Please stay in touch if you come across any other information on my families background. Many thanks.
lennyming

Post by lennyming »

mery81 wrote:My father was born in Macchia da Sole. He moved to Canada in the 70s and I believe that the last name Baldassaro is in our family tree. It is not our last name however, I believe that my great grandmother's maiden name was Baldassaro. Small world.
mery81,
Can you give me any more information on how the name Baldassaro is connected to your family?
lennyming

Post by lennyming »

lennyming wrote:
mery81 wrote:My father was born in Macchia da Sole. He moved to Canada in the 70s and I believe that the last name Baldassaro is in our family tree. It is not our last name however, I believe that my great grandmother's maiden name was Baldassaro. Small world.
mery81,
Can you give me any more information on how the name Baldassaro is connected to your family?
mery81,
Are you still out there? What was your great grandfather's name? Where did they get married? Do you have any other info on your great grandparents or their children?
thanks,
Pete
Rae_Marsh

Post by Rae_Marsh »

This post is really old, but I am still going to reply, because you are my cousin!

My grandfather was Dominic Baldasaro of Hamilton(and Baldasaro Contracting), the son of Joseph Baldasaro. Uncle Sam (Salvatore) was his brother. Joseph married Angelina Fabiano and my grandfather was one of their 5 children and the only boy. Sisters Lillian, Teresa and Katherine have passed away, but Elanor (the youngest) still lives in Peterborough. I believe there were four brothers in total, Joseph, Salvatore, Antonio, and I am not sure about the fourth name (One of them was nicknamed Jumbo, not sure if it was Antonio or the nameless brother). There are also cousins Wally and Gene Baldasaro in the Hamilton area.
jcouchie

Post by jcouchie »

Jumbo was my great Grandfather. Jumbo was his nickname, real name was Tony.
Hackenbrook

Post by Hackenbrook »

I would love to know about your great grandfather Tony Baldasaro. He is a distant relative. I know he lived in North bay. He was in construction. I was told he passed away in 1959 in Hamilton and is buried in North bay. I'm trying to learn more about Tony. He meant a lot to my family. Anyone out there that can give some info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks