How to continue?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

How to continue?

Post by JoeC »

Hi -

I've received a tremendous amount of help from these forums in researching my family, and I'm very thankful for it. I'm hoping to get some ideas on what I can do to help get some information for a part of my family that, so far, has been fairly elusive. This part of my family is actually Irish, so please forgive me, but I'm really just looking for some general direction, so I don't think ethnicity matters too much.

Their names are John Cosgrove and Mary Ryan. They are my great-grandparents. I have been able to find them on the 1900 U.S. census, they lived in Hudson County, Hoboken, New Jersey, U.S.A. on Park Avenue. On the 1900 census, it shows the oldest daughter, Katie. I also have a birth record for Katie, name shown as Catherine, which shows the parents as John Cosgrove and Mary Ryan. I was also able to find them on the 1910 census, living in the same location, with several more children. In addition to Katie, the 1910 census shows Mabel, George, William and Nora. There are some inconsistencies between dates for immigration and birth for John and Mary, but I'm pretty positive it's the same family. I also have a cemetary record for John, which shows he died in 1918 and is buried in Holy Name Cemetary in Jersey City, New Jersey. John and Mary had another child, my grandfather, Thomas John, in 1914. He died quite some time ago, but even when he was alive, did not talk about his family.

I have been unable to find them in the 1920 and 1930 census, and have no living relatives that know what happened to the family. I'd really like to find out what happened to my grandfather's siblings and mother, but have no idea where to start.

Again, I apologize for asking about the Irish part of my family on this board, but I've been so impressed by the help I've received, I am hopeful someone may have some ideas.

Thanks -
Joe
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: How to continue?

Post by Essgee »

Joe...

They are listed in the 1920 census under the surname Costrobe. Found it by searching for Nora Cos* in the search engine. Also states that Mary is a widow and naturalized in 1900. You should be able to get that paperwork.

There is a Thomas, age 15, listed in 1930 as being in a Catholic home. Could it be Mary died and he was placed there? Might be why he spoke little of parents...he may not have known much. Just a guess here.

Let's see what else might be out there.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

There is a William Cosgrove at the correct age living as a boarder in household of Lendell/Lenders Ostram in Hoboken. No occupation. Also a George Cosgrove of the correct age at the Hudson County Asylum in Secaucus.

It would appear something tragic happened...like the death of the mother...and the family split apart. Can't find the women because of lack of married names...though you can search for first names and see what comes up. Could be that the kids didn't know the parents weren't born in New Jersey...at least the records appear to indicate that. So looking for Katherine, Mabel/Mable, and Nora might list parents born N.Jersey instead of Ireland.

Good luck.
TinaB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TinaB »

Have you tried this site to see if their parents show up in the 1911 Ireland Census?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Regards
Tina
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Can you narrow down William's age from the 1910 Census, and do you know of any other areas of NY/NJ they may have lived in.?

I've found 25 listings for William Cosgroves, all with births between 1892 and 1922. If you have an idea of any of John and Mary's sons approx ages we may be able to narrow it down and find something useful.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
JoeC
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeC »

Essgee: Thanks for the information. I agree that it would seem that something tragic happened. Do you know if there is any way to find out additional information about someone who lived under the care of the Hudson County Catholic Protectory, as is shown for the 1930 census for Thomas Cosgrove? I'm hopeful that if there is some information that I can obtain, it may prove/disprove that this was my grandfather. I did a quick search on the internet, but didn't really see anything useful. I've been told that William passed away around the mid 1930's, so I guess I would be able to obtain his death record from vital records.

TinaB: I tried searching the site you suggested, but did not find anything. From the 1900 census, the parents, John and Mary Cosgrove immigrated separately in 1889 and 1892, respectively. Thanks for the suggestion.

elba: From the 1920 census, the children's ages are: Mable (or Mabel), 19 (ABT 1901); George, 18 (ABT 1902); William, 14 (ABT 1906); Nora, 10 (Jan 12, 1910, I have her baptismal certificate from my cousin), Thomas, 5 (Mar 18, 1914, this is my grandfather). There was also Katie/Catherine, who is not listed on the 1920 census, who was born Jan 17, 1897 according to a birth record from Familysearch.org. All children were born in New Jersey, I believe. My grandfather's SSN application says he was born in Jersey City, but I am trying to get his birth certificate to be sure. Katie's birth record shows Hoboken. Nora's baptismal certificate is from the Church of Our Lady of Grace in Hoboken, NJ. Other than Hoboken, I really don't know of any other places they may have lived.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Joe