Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
momo1

Naturalization

Post by momo1 »

Hi, I am confused about what date is used to determine if someone can get Italian citizenship. I thought I read somewhere and am now not sure where that if your ancestor filed a declaration of intent before your relative was born then you didn't qualify. Now all I can find is that if your relative was born before naturalization then you could file for citizenship. Does anyone know what date is actually used. The declaration, petition, oath or date naturalization was finalized. My great grand fathers naturalization was official in March of 1915. My grand father was born in Jan. of 1914. My great grand father would have to have start the process at least two years before 1915 because I think a person had to wait at least two years after the declaration to finish the rest of the filing. Do any of the consulates ask for the declaration? I would have to go through San Francisco.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization

Post by johnnyonthespot »

momo1 wrote:Hi, I am confused about what date is used to determine if someone can get Italian citizenship. I thought I read somewhere and am now not sure where that if your ancestor filed a declaration of intent before your relative was born then you didn't qualify. Now all I can find is that if your relative was born before naturalization then you could file for citizenship. Does anyone know what date is actually used. The declaration, petition, oath or date naturalization was finalized. My great grand fathers naturalization was official in March of 1915. My grand father was born in Jan. of 1914. My great grand father would have to have start the process at least two years before 1915 because I think a person had to wait at least two years after the declaration to finish the rest of the filing. Do any of the consulates ask for the declaration? I would have to go through San Francisco.
The only date you are concerned about is the date of actual naturalization which is, in fact, the date the Oath of Allegiance was signed.
jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naturalization

Post by jacobarber »

sounds like you're pretty solid. if he wasn't actually naturalized before your grandfather was born, then you're good to go