Friano? Is this a town?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
TrafficDiva

Friano? Is this a town?

Post by TrafficDiva »

Has anyone ever heard of a town called Friano? I found my great-aunt in a database and it lists her birthplace as "Friano Pr., Salerno, Italy" . Is this within the town of Salerno, or just the province? Thanks in advance for any help - this is the only clue I have as to where my paternal grandmother was from!

TrafficDiva
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Friano? Is this a town?

Post by elba »

There is a small town in the province of Salerno that has the name Pontecagnano FAIANO...

>See Link HERE<

Could it be that the first 'a' looks like an 'r' on the document you have?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a town FRIGNANO, (zip)81030, inthe Provincia Caserta which is close to the pronunciation you give as "Friano" and perhaps may relate to your inquiry. It maybe that the town was once part of the Salerno province but was transferred to Caserta province.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Frignano and click CERCA and when the name comes up click on the name Frignano
which will bring up a web page for the town of Frignano along with the address you will need for obtaining record under "MUNICIPIO" and also to the right is a www for the tourist part of Frignano website which often has pictures.

But we are getting a little ahead of ourselves just let us know if this is the town of origin of your family. =Peter=
~Peter~
TrafficDiva

Post by TrafficDiva »

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I originally thought the town might be Faiano but I wasn't sure. Growing up, I was told that this part of the family came from Salerno.

The information I have came from the Family Search website so the transcriber may have misread the name of the town. The other information I have is accurate.

I will follow up on both Faiano and Frignano. I appreciate the help!!

TrafficDiva
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Trafficdiva had we known the surname of your maternal grandmother we could have checked for any concentration of that surname and perhaps come up with a town or village name. However if you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in your grandmother's surname and below that put in CAMPANIA inthe second line beneath her surname and then click CERCA a listing will emerge showing where persons in that region of Napoli, caserta, Salerno and Benevento provinces reside by full name,addresses and telephonenumbers. =Peter=
~Peter~
TrafficDiva

Post by TrafficDiva »

Thanks Peter -

Her surname was De Paolo. I'll follow up on your suggestions and continue to search. Thanks again :D

TrafficDiva
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I did a quick check and there are 1 De Paolo in Province of Salerno, 7 in the province of Napoli and 17 in the province of Caserta and there are no further listings for the name in the campania region. Perhaps going thru the listings may trigger off recogniziotn of a town listed for De Paolo that strikes a chord. Please keep in touch. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The De Paolo name appears in the following towns in the province of Salerno.

Baronissi
Battipaglia
Mercato San Severino
Salerno
Montesano sulla Marcellana

The name Di Paolo is even more common, but not anywhere that sounds like Friano.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 17 persons in Caserta province who are surnamed De Paolo and is well beyond the De Paolo in the other provinces. The closest is Napoli with 7 making Caserta a prime candidate for your inquiry. =Peter=
~Peter~
TrafficDiva

Post by TrafficDiva »

Thanks to all for your input!

I was thinking the family came from the Campania region. I have a letter written to my aunt in the 1970's from a De Paolo relative living in Salerno. At least, that's what was on the return address. But I've been researching the 1880's, so many things could have changed since then.

I have also heard my relatives mention the town of Aquarola, which is where I thought the family was from until I found my great-aunt in the LDS database.

But now, thanks to all of you, I have more options to search. :)

A Grateful TrafficDiva
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:There are 17 persons in Caserta province who are surnamed De Paolo and is well beyond the De Paolo in the other provinces. The closest is Napoli with 7 making Caserta a prime candidate for your inquiry. =Peter=
Peter, I don't think logic is on your side with that argument.

All of my grandparents were born in Italy and in all four cases, there are many comuni with far higher surname distribution than their actual places of birth.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Of course but its an indication inthe absence of everything else so you start there as you would with an electric problem at home you always start where its easiest like the sockets before you go inside the walls. Here its numbers. Besides Frignano is my choice and that is in caserta province. =Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Considering that the original reference may have been Faiano as opposed to Friano - and that it was known to have been in the Salernitano region (SA) - it does seem likely that my first suggestion may be nearer the mark.

I have just gone back to look at the map I posted for you and zooming out I noticed that just to the north east of Pontecagnano Faiano is another village called Faiano.

I then found this link >Wickipedia - FAIANO< and I do feel that this has many more possibilities than Frignano in the Casertana, which is the opposite side of Napoli from Salerno (SA).

Edited to add: I wonder if the Friano Pr. Salerno" reference that you have should have read: Faiano Fr. Salerno which would be the address for anyone from that particular village which is a 'frazione' (hamlet/quarter) of Salerno?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

TrafficDiva wrote:Thanks to all for your input!

I was thinking the family came from the Campania region. I have a letter written to my aunt in the 1970's from a De Paolo relative living in Salerno. At least, that's what was on the return address. But I've been researching the 1880's, so many things could have changed since then.

I have also heard my relatives mention the town of Aquarola, which is where I thought the family was from until I found my great-aunt in the LDS database.

But now, thanks to all of you, I have more options to search. :)

A Grateful TrafficDiva
Aquarola(right: Acquarola) is another name of Mercato san Severino town( Salerno province) here the map http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&q=merc ... 1&ct=title
near is Frisciano town ..maybe it could be the town that you are searching for?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TrafficDiva

Post by TrafficDiva »

elba - I think you may be right about Faiano Fr Salerno - it makes sense based on the information I have.

suanj - I think you also may be right about Acquarola.

My other ancestral villages are Fisciano and Calvanico. If I interpreted the maps correctly, the towns are close enough that there may have been movement between them.

Once again - thanks to all for the input! I am getting quite an education and it's great!

TrafficDiva