Naturalization Help PLEASE!!!!!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Naturalization Help PLEASE!!!!!!

Post by Tonio70 »

I need clarification with the following:

My Great Grandfather came to the US in 1909, had a son (my grandfather) in 1915, then became naturalized in 1926. My mother was born here in 1943, I was born in 1970. Do I qualify under "Jus sanguinis" to have dual citizenship in US and Italy.

I have been searching the internet and beleive i may qualify since my Great grandfather was still an italian citizen when my grandfather was born. I see a list of documents that would need to be gathered but I am confused to knowing which ones exactly i will need. Would I need all those documents listed? Apparently there is no death record for my great grandmother anywhere to be found, though I am still searching...

I would greaty appreciate any and all help concerning this dilemna.

Thanks.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naturalization Help PLEASE!!!!!!

Post by phil100a »

I could be wrong, but I don't think you would need your grandmother's death certificate if you had a certified note stating that her death records were lost. To be certain. you can check with your consulate.

About death records: sometimes - depending on the state and municipality, the person's death is recorded where they passed away, not where they lived. Call your local municipality for more information. If you know where she died, that might help.

If your GGF, GF, and father, or you did not reject Italian citizenship, you can apply. I would advise getting all documents that your Consulate asks for. This is not a task that will only take a few months; it will probably take at least a few years. You have to be persistent, and do everything they ask.
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

Thanks.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

Hi, Depending on which consulate you would be applying at, will determine which documents you need to submit. some will require both grandparents documents (birth, Marriage, sometimes Death), parents(same), yours(birth Marriage, sometimes divorce)GGFs Naturalization papers. some will only require the direct line as in your case, GGF, GF, Mother, You.Each US document will need to have an Apostille, and will need translations into Italian. I'm not sure as to which consulates require what documents. I do know that at Miami it is the direct line of descendents as that is the consulate in which I am applying through. Once you can get the homework done and aquire GGFs Birth certificate from Italy(unless you have this already) and the Birth and marriage certificates for your relatives here in the states, and by keeping track of which docs have discrepancies,as far as names,inaccurate dates of birth, as everything has to match up, schedule an appointment for your dual citizenship at the consulate serving the area in which you live. You can always shoot them an email with any concerns. hope this helps a bit. good Luck !
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very helpful and I will follow up with the consulate here in Miami.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

the Miami consulate at this time is asking only for documents relating to the direct line so concentrate on that. in your case GGF,GF,Mother,You............as far as making an appointment they are making them about one year out.
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

Fantastic, all those documents I am able to obtain..Thanks so much. I will keep a note of my progress here. Thanks again for the information.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

you're welcome and good luck !
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

All,

A follow up to my journey in applying for Italian Citizenship through Italian Consulate in Miami. I went to the office to get full details regarding what documents are really needed since I am going through my GGF,GF,Mother. I was told to get all documents relevant to this side of the family, and if possible get documents relating to my father (non-italian). I am making progress, I have ordered my GGF birth certificates in Italy as well as obtaining all birth/death and marriage certificates. I must say this is a long process indeed but I have an appointment scheduled for August 2010. :) I was surprised that the appointment was so far away. Anyone applying through Miami, go to the Consulate and ask questions, the staff is excellent and helpful.

Antonio