translate occupation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
schoolnurse

translate occupation

Post by schoolnurse »

Could someone translate the occupation of my ggggrandfather as shown on his death certificate in 1861, please? It reads "Arciere al Conciliatore". I have never seen this before and would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Donna
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: translate occupation

Post by ptimber »

It appears to be an honorfic title meaning Archer or in the plural Royal guards to the conciliator. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

schoolnurse wrote:Could someone translate the occupation of my ggggrandfather as shown on his death certificate in 1861, please? It reads "Arciere al Conciliatore". I have never seen this before and would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Donna
"arciere" or "Usciere al Conciliatore"?? Usciere al Conciliatore means messenger of the peace judge (conciliatore man and conciliatore office), who notification acts of the peace judge.. "Arciere" word not have meaning with Conciliatore word(arciere=archer, arrow) regards,suanj
schoolnurse

Post by schoolnurse »

Dear Peter and Suanj,
Thanks so much again. What looked like "arciere", was in fact, "usciere" (you know how that handwriting can be).
I had been thinking along the same lines as you, Peter, but I guess actually living in Italy, Suanj knew what made sense. I think he was the bailiff or process server to the judge. Thank you

Three heads are better than one! ;)
Donna
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It means he was a court usher of a tribuanl. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master