Look-up request for Alfieri in Italians to America

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Look-up request for Alfieri in Italians to America

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Greetings,

I would like to request a look-up if that is possible.

My great grandfather's American name was Frank Alfieri. According to the 1910 and 1920 census he came to the United States in 1887 and naturalized in 1893. His wife's name was Angelina Caromano. Their first three children were born in Philadelphia between the years 1895 and 1900. I know that Angeline had a twin brother named Patsy.

I am trying to find the name of the ship and the port of entry for Frank and Angeline. I am hoping that this will help me trace their city of origin and lead me to their ancestors in Italy. Is there anyone on this forum who has access to Italians to America that might be willing to do a look-up for me. My library does not have this wonderful resource. Thank you very much.

Donna Pellegrin
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Look-up request for Alfieri in Italians to America

Post by ptimber »

Since he could have come in thru NYC or Philadelphia you can either start and end at NYC by writing directly to the National Archives NY office.201 Varick Street, New York, NY 10014-4811 or call them at 212-401-1620 or fax them at 212-401-1638 or e-mail them at Newyork.archives@nara.gov. There is no national archives index for NYC for the period from 1847 to 1897 as you know but since you have an exact date (the naturalizaiton record) the archives people may check the arrivals for that day for you. If it pans out fine.

If you choose Philadelphia (you do not say what port of entry) then you can go to the Family History library for NARA micorfilm of arrivals 1883-1948 under NARA T526-1 and FHL library#1380256.

Lotsof luck Peter
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you Peter

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

You are obviously quite knowledgeble in this area. Unfortunately, I didn't make myself clear. I only know the year of immigration and the year of naturalization from the census. I have not been able to recover any naturalization papers. I do not know which port he entered. I emailed Lee.Stanley@Phila.gov and requested a search for naturalization papers for Frank Alfieri in Philadelphia and I recieved a reply that none were found.

I was posting in hopes that someone could look through the index of "Italians to America" and tell me if there were any Alfieri men that arrived in 1887. Even though the Alfieri surname is very common in Italy, it is not very common in the United States.

Thanks

Donna Pellegrin
Donna Pellegrin
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are more than 250 in the USA telephone books and should someone look up alfieri there may be several. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:Greetings,

I would like to request a look-up if that is possible.

My great grandfather's American name was Frank Alfieri. According to the 1910 and 1920 census he came to the United States in 1887 and naturalized in 1893. His wife's name was Angelina Caromano. Their first three children were born in Philadelphia between the years 1895 and 1900. I know that Angeline had a twin brother named Patsy.

I am trying to find the name of the ship and the port of entry for Frank and Angeline. I am hoping that this will help me trace their city of origin and lead me to their ancestors in Italy. Is there anyone on this forum who has access to Italians to America that might be willing to do a look-up for me. My library does not have this wonderful resource. Thank you very much.

Donna Pellegrin
Hi are only 2 records for Caromano surname in Italy, and emigrated beetwen 1880/1891, but not Angelina:
Cognome
CAROMANO

Nome
ALFONSO

Professione
FARMER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
RICCIA(Molise region)
Destinazione
NY

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
BRITTANIA

Data d'arrivo
4/23/1883
---------

Cognome
CAROMANO

Nome
ANTO.

Professione
PEASANT

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
BURGUNDIA

Data d'arrivo
5/13/1884
---------------
and 26 records for Alfieri, but nobody Francesco(Frank)..; around 1886/1887 are this Alfieri emigrated in USA:
ALFIERI ALESSO unknow

ALFIERI ALFONSO (Pud...?)

ALFIERI CARMELA (Montella birthplace sure)

ALFIERI CARMELA (ditto...)

ALFIERI CESARE unknow

ALFIERI GIUSEPPE unknow

ALFIERI NUNZIATO unknow

ALFIERI PASQUALE unknow

ALFIERI RAFFAELE ((....bello birthplace..perhaps Alberobello)

ALFIERI RAFFAELE (....bello birthplace..perhaps Alberobello)

ALFIERI SALV. (Sora birthplace)

ALFIERI VINCENZO unknow

ALFIERI VINCENZO (Omignaro birthplace)
SUGGESTIONS on this names???

More: also on ellis island all Caromano persons coming from Riccia town..but currently not are nobody Caromano in Riccia (Campobasso province-Molise region)..this surname is very rare in Italy, currently present only in Castelpagano(Benevento province-Campania region..near Molise region) and in an common of Lombardia region..you sure the surname are Caromano and not Caramanno(tipically from Sicily)?

regards, suanj
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you so much

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

I am intrigued by this Alfonso Alfieri name. It was suggested to me by a family member that Frank Alfieri's Italian name was not Francesco but was Alfonso. Frank Alfieri was born between 1868 and 1871 (1868 according to his tombstone, 1871 according to the census). His occupation was a stone mason and a house builder in the United States. Does your source list an age or occupation for Alfonso? Thank you so much for your help.

I was told on another message board that there were only a few Alfieri families in Philadelphia in the early 1900s and that they were all related and were from Caronia,Sicily.

The spelling of Caromano is different on each document that I have found. It is possible the name was spelled Caramanno. I was told by a cousin that Angeline was from Abruzzi but this is only a rumor.

Perhaps one of these clues will lead me to my ancestors. Thank you so very much for your help.

Donna Pellegrin
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Thank you so much

Post by suanj »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:I am intrigued by this Alfonso Alfieri name. It was suggested to me by a family member that Frank Alfieri's Italian name was not Francesco but was Alfonso. Frank Alfieri was born between 1868 and 1871 (1868 according to his tombstone, 1871 according to the census). His occupation was a stone mason and a house builder in the United States. Does your source list an age or occupation for Alfonso? Thank you so much for your help.

I was told on another message board that there were only a few Alfieri families in Philadelphia in the early 1900s and that they were all related and were from Caronia,Sicily.

The spelling of Caromano is different on each document that I have found. It is possible the name was spelled Caramanno. I was told by a cousin that Angeline was from Abruzzi but this is only a rumor.

Perhaps one of these clues will lead me to my ancestors. Thank you so very much for your help.

Donna Pellegrin
Hi Donna: Caromano coming from Riccia currently are in Molise region but in the past, before 1964, Molise and Abruzzo regions, called only Abruzzi(was togheter) region..
Caramanno is from Sicily..
for Alfieri Alfonso record, are this info:
Cognome
ALFIERI

Nome
ALFONSO

Professione
LABORER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
PUD.(??perhaps Pado fraction of Longi town, very near Caronia, or Tusa also in Messina province, many Alfieri people coming from Tusa ..)

Destinazione
NEW-YORK

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
ALESIA (ship)

Data d'arrivo
10/11/1886
-----
More, in Philadelfia sure in 1900 are also others Alfieri..an Biagio coming from Caronia arrived in 1899 http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 4529011969
and in 1901 Biagio's son: Carmelo Alfieri also in Philadelphia
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 5174080142
regards, suanj
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Alfonso!

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Thank you so very much. This is a wonderful website and you have been a great help. I will dig deeper into the possibility that Alfonso is Frank. Alfonso is the right age and came over at the right time. It seems like a good lead to follow. I will post a message here if I have any success.

Have a great day and thank you very much.

Donna Pellegrin
Donna Pellegrin
deliziosa

Post by deliziosa »

my name is lucia alfieri born in siracusa sicilia, paternal grandparents carmelo alfieri and lucia garro, grandma stlill living in sicily she is in her 90. and i would like to find any relatives living in usa.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Most people identify their italian origins by identifying themselves with the province rather than their city,town or village of origin where, in Italy, family history,documents and records are maintained. In the USA there are well over 2000 (estimated) persons surnamed Alfieri with the heaviest concentration in NY state. The remainder are spread thruout the continent. Go to www.gens.labo.net and put in Alfieri where it says "cognome" and then click to see where the distribution of the Alfieri name is in Italy and then click on the USA rectangle for USA distribution for Alfieri. You may be able, by dint, of research to come up with a reasonable number. This is why it is important to know the place of origin. =Peter=