salami....

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

salami....

Post by sigel7 »

I grew up visiting my grandparents and we always had a lunch spread. It consisted of boiled ham, swiss cheese, pancetta (my dad's favourite) mortadella and the all time favorite of Salami. I live in Texas now and what the east coast and "no coast" call salami is not at all what I am used to. I have asked for it by the name of Italian dry salami but have been given different types. My Pop (grandpa) would sometimes get it from a Italian neighbor who made it. I wish I knew the real name so i could order one. In San Francisco you could see them hanging in all of the Italian delis. If anyone knows what it is really called, please let me know.

Would love to hear what other meals. foods, activities that the folks on this list grew up with.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
misbris
Master
Master

Re: salami....

Post by misbris »

I usually buy it as Genoa Salami or hard salami. I don't know if there are any other names for it.

Maybe this will help

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatcureCC.html
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I always called it hard salami to..... :?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

I think I found it. It is called dry salami. It is in the style of Piedmont. Made famous in San Fran and thats probably why I cant find it anywhere else. Yet another thing I miss (sourdough is number one). And out here they dont have coppa, only capicola, which isnt the same.

But, out here I have learned to make a mean pot of chili and bbq a brisket to die for.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I love sourdough bread with brie cheese.....you can't get good sourdough here in the boonies!!
I haven't been out to Frisco since 94.....used to spend my summers there.
Amazing coastline, some of the prettiest views I've ever seen.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."