Strangis - revisited.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EStrangis

Strangis - revisited.

Post by EStrangis »

Hello to all,

I posted many years ago trying to put together my Italian genealogy. In the previous forum that is listed. There was much information and I apparently confirmed possible wrong information.

This is information I am *certain* of.
My Grandfather is Frank Strangis, born May 10th 1917, in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, his parents were: Francesco and Julia Strangis (maiden name Vitullo) They lived in Chicago until my grandfather was 2 and they returned to Sambiase Calabria, Italy. My Grandfather Frank returned with his mother Julia returned to Niagara Falls either 1929 or 1930 and moved in with her parents, Raemondo and Mary Vitullo. Mary Vitullo's maiden name was D'Eugenio. (she was my grandfather's grandmother)

Confirmed relatives:
Possible first cousin: (arrived from Italy in the 1950's or 1960's) and settled in Niagara Falls Ontario.
Augustine Strangis (wife Katherine)
Augustine and Katherine Strangis children were:
Anthony and Helen(nicknamed Sarah)

There was also a possible relative or friend named Pasquale. (within the last 10 years he lived in Arizona) (last name cannot be confirmed) (he contacted my grandfather)

However according to the other response's on the Strangis post:
(this information was posted)

Miscellaneous Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, 1893-1945 Recordinfo
about Francesco Strangis
Name: Francesco Strangis
Arrival Date: 16 Apr 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Tortona
Port of Arrival: Portland, Maine
Friend's Name: Pasquale
Last Residence: Catanzaro
Birthplace: S biase, Catanzaro,ita
Microfilm Roll Number: 9

This indicates that a Francesco Strangis arrived and listed a friend's name of Pasquale. Given the age though, it may not be in relation at all. but interested me.

My grandfather (Frank J Strangis) served in WWII not WWI. He was shot in Sicily.

Julia's siblings:
Joseph, John(went by the nickname of Jack), Al, Frank,Nick,Carmella(Millie) and a sister Margaret who died at a young age.

Julia Strangis (maiden name Vitullo) (born 1898 and died Dec. 12th 1974)
She was 76. Her mother Mary was from Campo bosso Italy and her father Raemondo was from Agnone Italy which I believe is in Abruzzo.

Based on this information can anyone provide information regarding my Great Grandfather, Uncles, etc. ?? or where to uncover any information?
vj
Master
Master

Re: Strangis - revisited.

Post by vj »

Hello,
After reviewing the records already found on your previous post:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =4626.html

it appears that Strangis may be an Americanized version of Francesco’s original name: TRUNZO
Does this sound likely?

Records are from ancestry. com (subscription site, available at many libraries)
---

(click here) Border Crossing

Canadian Border Crossing for Francesco Trunzo and wife Giulia/Julia

18 Mar 1916
Francesco Trunzo
Born in SanBiasi (Sambiase?) Italy
(probably Sambiase, Lamezia Terme, Catanzaro, Calabria - see 1908 manifest)
25 years old
Last residence 7th Street, Niagara Falls, Ontario
Wife Giulia
In US June 1907 in transit SS Liguria
Destination Niagara Falls , NY for visit
---

Marriage Record

Marriage record for Giulia/Julia Vitullo and Francesco Trunso/Trunzo
22 Jan 1914 in Niagara Falls, Welland, Ontario

Husband Francesco Trunso 24 (born abt 1889)
Parents:
Saverio Trunso
Maria Antonia Pagliera

Wife Giulia Vitullo 18 (born abt 1895)
Parents:
Raimondo Vitullo
Maria D’Eugenio

Residence Niagara Falls
---

1908 Ship Manifest
Page 2

29 May 1908, SS Liguria Napoli to NY
Line 22
Francesco Trunzo, 18 (abt 1890)
- last residence S Biase Catanzaro
- in Sambiase mother Maria Antonia Pagliera
- destination Welland, Canada
- joining brother Tommaso
- born in S Eufemia, Catanzaro
(probably Sant'Eufemia Vetere, Lamezia Terme, Catanzaro, Calabria)

Detained Page
Line 12
Francesco Trunso
- joining brother Tommaso in Welland, Canada
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

My grandfather lived in Niagara Falls, New York. As far as I know, he did not live in Canada. Based on the information my Aunt was able to provide, the only known relative that lived in Canada, would have been Augustine Strangis (wife Katherine), (children Anthony and Helen (Sarah),who came from Italy in the late 1950's or early 1960's. They are the only known relatives to have settled in Canada.

However, I cannot confirm anything regarding the possible name change. The information regarding my Great Grandfather, is what we are unsure about.
My grandfather was born in the United States but returned to Italy with his mother and father. Upon returning to the United States, it is not clear as to whether or not Francesco joined.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello,
A note on the previous post for TRUNZO, it appears that Julia’s parents’ names on the 1914 marriage record in Niagara Falls are a match for some of your information (Raimondo Vitullo & Maria D’Eugenio).

Here’s Giulia/Julia’s return trip manifest in case you don’t already have it.
It’s not unusual for her to travel under her maiden name, her son should have been listed under his father’s surname though.

(click here) 1926 manifest

29 Nov 1926 SS Presidente Wilson, Napoli to NY
US Citizens
Lines 10 & 11
Giulia Carmela Vitullo 28
- married
- born 8 Jul 1898 in Buffalo, NY
- passport 292948 issued 9 Oct 1926 in Wash DC
- destination 2210 McKenna Ave, Niagara Falls, NY
(her parents’ address on the 1920 & 1930 census)
Son Raimondo Vitullo 9
- born 10 May 1917 in Pittsfield MA
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

If this is accurate, where was my grandfather during this time? Upon arriving in Canada, does it show them movign to Niagara Falls, NY? Did Francesco just drop off the face of the earth. I am stumped on the last name change.

Reviewing the previous thread, information, etc. It seemed that much of that information could have been true and made some what sense.

Is it possible that Francesco returned to America and re-assumed the name Strangis?

I'm confused (again). Please help shed some light. :) Thank you for your research.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
Best guesses?

Francesco TRUNZO is the original name. He probably chose to change it to a more ‘Americanized’ version to ‘fit in’ - STRANGIS.

Going by your family’s recollections and probable records, a summary:

Francesco Trunzo arrived in 1908 joining his brother Tommaso just across the NY border in Niagara Falls Ontario.

In July 1911 Francesco Trunzo is living in Niagara Falls, Welland County, Ontario, born Sep 1889 in Italy, immig 1908
(click here) 1911 Census

He may have met Julia’s family or neighbors at work.
(note: 7th Ave Niagara Falls, Welland, Ontario is only about 3.5 miles from 2210 MacKenna Ave Niagara Falls, Niagara, NY)

Francesco & Julia married in Niagara Falls Ontario in 1914 - Julia apparently didn’t tell the truth about her age, she was about 15.

Francesco and Julia Trunzo lived on Seventh Street in Niagara Falls Ontario after they were married. (address also on the March 1916 border crossing)
In 1915 they lost two daughters, both named Maria/Mary.
11 Feb 1915 Death Record (Julia's maiden name spelled wrong)
31 Dec 1915 Death Record

In March 1916 they traveled across the boarder to visit in Niagara Falls, NY.

In May 1917 they were apparently living in Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA where their son Francesco (Raimondo) was born on May 10th.

It is possible that they moved to Chicago, Cook, IL.

If they moved back to Italy before 5 June 1917 there wouldn’t be a record of Francesco registering for the WWI Draft.
If they were still in the US there should be a 1917 Draft Registration Card under either Trunzo or Strangis.
So far we can’t find a 1920 census for Francesco or Julia.

In October 1926 Julia obtained a passport from Washington DC
In November 1926 Julia & her son returned from Italy to Niagara Falls, NY to her parents’ address. Julia is listed as being married.
We can’t find a record of Francesco traveling back to the US.

In 1930 Julia and her son Frank STRANGIS (edit: corrected name) are listed with her parents in Niagara Falls, NY. Julia is listed as being a widow.
(from the older thread)
1930 census page 1
page 2
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

While I am not disputing any information, because again, I am still trying to research genealogy. However, I'm really baffled.
In May 1917 they were apparently living in Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA where their son Francesco (Raimondo) was born on May 10th.

My grandfather was Frank J Strangis (middle name John). So I am confused where my grandfather's middle name Raimondo comes into play. Also, according to the shipping records, Julia returned by listed her child as Raymond Vitullo?

This is my Grandfather's death record.
Social Security Death Index Record
Name: Frank J. STRANGIS
SSN: 128-12-5943
Last Residence: 14304 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York, United States of America
Born: 10 May 1917
Died: 16 Apr 2003
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )
(as listed on previous thread.

VJ according to a post you made in the previous thread. This information would be accurate regarding Julia.
Great Grandmother?
from SSDI
Name: Julia STRANGIS
SSN: 067-30-1251
Last Residence: 14304 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York, United States of America
Born: 8 Jul 1897
Died: Dec 1974 State (Year)
SSN issued: New York (1953-1955 )
I can confirm from family accounts that she passed away December 12, 1974.

My question is, that according to the information you have posted. It indicates a different last name. If My Grandfather's father Francesco changed his last name to Trunzo, why would Julia and my grandfather keep the last name Strangis? Could the marriage record not be accurate?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

EStrangis wrote:While I am not disputing any information, because again, I am still trying to research genealogy. However, I'm really baffled.

My grandfather was Frank J Strangis (middle name John). So I am confused where my grandfather's middle name Raimondo comes into play. Also, according to the shipping records, Julia returned by listed her child as Raymond Vitullo?

This is my Grandfather's death record.
Social Security Death Index Record
Name: Frank J. STRANGIS
SSN: 128-12-5943
Born: 10 May 1917
Died: 16 Apr 2003
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )
(as listed on previous thread.

VJ according to a post you made in the previous thread. This information would be accurate regarding Julia.
Great Grandmother?
from SSDI
Name: Julia STRANGIS
SSN: 067-30-1251
Born: 8 Jul 1897
Died: Dec 1974 State (Year)
SSN issued: New York (1953-1955 )
I can confirm from family accounts that she passed away December 12, 1974.

My question is, that according to the information you have posted. It indicates a different last name. If My Grandfather's father Francesco changed his last name to Trunzo, why would Julia and my grandfather keep the last name Strangis? Could the marriage record not be accurate?
I agree - everything should be questioned in the absence of original records

Re: Frank/Raimondo
I agree this is a puzzle. If his birth date weren't on the manifest, I would have guessed this was a different son. Could his mother have decided to change his name after (if) his father Francesco died?
His name on his social security record would probably have been from when he filled out his social security application (abt 1951)
His birth certificate from Pittsfield should have his complete name.

Re: Sturgis name
Since we aren't sure when the change in name took place, it would have been logical for both Julia and her son to keep their new name - especially if it was on his birth certificate.

I'm pretty sure you have the correct marriage record since Julia's parents names are correct (and pretty uncommon in the area)
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

I am going to get with my Aunt and have her verify the birth certificate. I am puzzled now. Francesco's last name being Trunso throws a wrench in it. And when reviewing the information on the previous thread, a lot of the information gained seemed probable and accurate.

I did noticed on the Record of Detained Aliens that listed Francesco Trunzo, it also listed a Giovanna D'Angelo. Could this be a mispelling? There is a Giovanna D' Eugenio that was related to Julia's mother (Maria D'Eugenio Vitullo). While this may just be a similar name, I thought it could be related somehow?

Also in the previous threat. A member (JCSM) posted her theory based on information and stated there was a George Strangis that was married to a Julia Vitullo. Again, could it be a coincidence.

There seems to be numerous Frank and Francesco Strangis. I find it very odd that they would keep the same last name and Francesco would change his.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

EStrangis wrote:I am going to get with my Aunt and have her verify the birth certificate. I am puzzled now. Francesco's last name being Trunso throws a wrench in it. And when reviewing the information on the previous thread, a lot of the information gained seemed probable and accurate.

I did noticed on the Record of Detained Aliens that listed Francesco Trunzo, it also listed a Giovanna D'Angelo. Could this be a mispelling? There is a Giovanna D' Eugenio that was related to Julia's mother (Maria D'Eugenio Vitullo). While this may just be a similar name, I thought it could be related somehow?
That's terrific, it will be interesting to learn what your aunt thinks of all this!

Good eye on the manifest - it's always a good idea to look for related names. If this D'Angelo were headed to the same location it certainly would have been worth an investigation.
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

I wanted to give a quick update and see if this can shed some light. I actually called and spoke to Pasquale Strangis. Based on what my Aunt said, I figured it wouldn't hurt to look up Pasaqule in Arizona and try calling.

My Great Grandmother (Julia Vitullo Strangis) was married twice. Her second husband was Francesco Strangis.

Based on this, can you help me piece together information. Who was my Great Grandfather?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
That's great that you've solved the mystery!
You're right, the next question would be - who was the father of Frank J. Strangis, born 10 May 1917 in Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA.
Didn't you mention that someone in your family has his birth certificate?
Finding a death record for Francesco Trunzo may help also (especially if it was in the US or Canada)
Congratulations on finding a big piece of the puzzle!
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

Well it may be a huge piece of the puzzle solved. I still need to ask My Aunt about the birth certificate. But I do not believe they will be aware of Julia being married twice.

I'm still a bit puzzled. The mystery remains as to what happened to Great Grandfather Francesco Strangis. Pasquale (great grandfather's nephew) did not know of Francesco Trunzo. Has no knowledge of him.

I am stumped. I think I get so close, then another wrench..
MORELLOMAY46

Post by MORELLOMAY46 »

I doubt this will be any help, but just for info. I had a great aunt on my father's maternal side, named Angela Mazzi, or Mazzei, sister of my GM Sarafina. Zia Angela married a Sam (Italian version?) Strangis, yes, my "Uncle Sam!" They lived in Northeast Minneapolis, the "Little Italy" of Minneapolis. That is all I know about them, and sadly there is nobody left to ask in either side of my family.

I believe my paternal grandparents as well as my father were from San Biase, Calabria. My father and his mother came to USA in 1915.

My grandmother Sarafina married Ralph Morelli (or Morello,) The name in the US was (mine is) "Morello.

Lawrence Joseph Morello