Understanding Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Understanding Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio

Post by jwazevedo »

I've found the Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio for my great-grandparents in Garzeno, Italy. Now I'm trying to understand it. Can someone help explain what the document signifies? I see that there is a date for the document itself, and then there are other dates. So is this the equivalent of a marriage license? And if so, which is the date they got married? And what is the purpose of the long bit of handwritten script at the bottom? (I am cursive-challenged and Italian-challenged both.)

Here is a link to the original document:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8137/a ... oticeo.jpg

Any help in unraveling the ins and outs of this record would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Best,
Jerry

(Of the Garzeno Bordessa family)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Understanding Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio

Post by PeterTimber »

Jerry here is what you do to obtain a simplified version explaining the Pubblicazioni Di Matrimonio in Italy.

Go to Google.com and insert in title the above Pubb............monio, Italy and when you get down to the 3rd website listing click on it and a sheet will come up titled MARRIAGE RECORD OR CERTIFICATO DI MATRIMONIO in english. You have to do this since going to the www.MyItalian Family.com website will deny you access to the above explanation. =Peter=
~Peter~
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

jwazevedo wrote:I've found the Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio for my great-grandparents in Garzeno, Italy. Now I'm trying to understand it. Can someone help explain what the document signifies? I see that there is a date for the document itself, and then there are other dates. So is this the equivalent of a marriage license? And if so, which is the date they got married? And what is the purpose of the long bit of handwritten script at the bottom? (I am cursive-challenged and Italian-challenged both.)

Here is a link to the original document:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8137/a ... oticeo.jpg

Any help in unraveling the ins and outs of this record would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Best,
Jerry

(Of the Garzeno Bordessa family)
The pubblicazioni (publication) is a marriage bann. A couple intending to marry would go into the stato offices to register their intent to marry (this document replaced the act of solemn promise used before the unification). For 3 consecutive weeks the pubblicazioni had to be posted in public view in case anyone had cause to object to the impending nuptuals. When registering their pubblicazioni they were required to bring in certain documents (such as their birth acts) and their parents.
For a basic translation and more information go HERE
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cathynap wrote: The pubblicazioni (publication) is a marriage bann. A couple intending to marry would go into the stato offices to register their intent to marry (this document replaced the act of solemn promise used before the unification). For 3 consecutive weeks the pubblicazioni had to be posted in public view in case anyone had cause to object to the impending nuptuals. When registering their pubblicazioni they were required to bring in certain documents (such as their birth acts) and their parents.
For a basic translation and more information go HERE
Hello Cathy :D !
Great explanation & link (WOW)!
I may just pull out my records and have another look at what I have.
Thank you, Valarie
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Pubblicazioni di matrimonio I believe is translated in Marriage Benns.

Before the actual marriage take place, the groom and the bride must go to the Officer at the town hall to request to get married, and they must declare that there are no impediments to their marriage. For instance if they are first cousin they cannot get married, and obviously if one of them has already a husband/wife, he/she cannot get another one. At this point the Officer will post for 2 weeks a manifest stating that John and Mary (as an example) are planning to get married and asking if there is any impediment to the marriage. If the groom and the bride reside in two different cities, the banns are posted in both cities
The handwritten part of document contains a list of documents presented by the spouses, the first one being a birth act. In the case posted above the groom presented a death certificate related to his previous wife...

I hope I was able to explain the meaning of the document

Sorry Cathy, I did not see that you already answered!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Thanks so much for explanations and for the links to two great resources. This answers my question perfectly. What a great forum.

Best,
Jerry
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

liviomoreno wrote: Sorry Cathy, I did not see that you already answered!
No problem Livio - your explanation was better anyway. I just type faster! :wink:
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Hi Livio,

May I follow up with you on this subject?

I noticed your reference to a previous marriage, which astonished me, since I'd not known about this. From your hint, I searched the records, and I did find the record for the previous marriage to Domenica. But I'm hoping to learn more from the wording at the bottom of his second marriage to Claudina. I can't make out the script, so I don't know what it says, either in Italian or English. Would you mind "translating" the script into either Italian or English?

I've attached a clip from the larger original document.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
Jerry
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Jerry, there are a few words that I cannot decipher, but I hope someone else will jump in...
Here's what I understand:

The documents are: copies of the spouses' birth acts released by xxxxx of this comune on October 7 1874, copy of the death act xxxxx by this Officer from which it results that Domenica Rebba (sp?) wife of the groom died on May 15 1874; and true copy of the Royal Decree, dated Dec 7 1874, removing the impediment related to the affinity (I'm not sure about this word) between the spouses.

This act was read to all the involved parties who have undersigned it, with the exception of the bride who is illiterate.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

liviomoreno wrote: The documents are: copies of the spouses' birth acts released by [economo spirituale] of this comune on October 7 1874, copy of the death act [rilasciato] by this Officer from which it results that Domenica Rebba (or Robba) wife of the groom died on May 15 1874; and true copy of the Royal Decree, dated Dec 7 1874, removing the impediment related to the affinity [ok with the meaning, i think, of kinship] between the spouses.

This act was read to all the involved parties who have undersigned it, with the exception of the bride who is illiterate.
Luca
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Grazie Luca.

I don't know how to translate "Economo Spirituale" (however he is an officer of the municipality) and I also had the doubt between Robba and Rebba.

From the full document my understanding is that Ambrogio Bordessa is requesting to get married with Claudina the sister of his previous wife Domenica. The name on the top left of the document clearly state Claudina Robba.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

The "Economo" could be also an ecclesistic (see, for example, at this site http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:ly ... clnk&gl=it ) and the word "spirituale" seems to confirm this guess.

Ciao
Luca
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The State Archive (Archivio di Stato) holds two separate volumes for marriage records
1. The marriage act (Atto di matrimonio)
2. The notifications or banns (pubblicazioni) which include all documents that the bride and groom had to present. The two could only get married if they presented their birth acts and before 1870 they also had to obtain the consent of both fathers.
=Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:The State Archive (Archivio di Stato) holds two separate violumes for marriage records
This is true also for the Churches and for the Uffici di Stato civile. There are two different register books.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

will wonders never cease!!!!!!!!!!=Peter=
~Peter~