Last names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lactosefree

Last names

Post by lactosefree »

:idea: well aparantley Maccini is a surname for Maccio and Maccio is Tuscan but there has to be others, some1 once told me Parma but i dont know. Lol i suppose it would help if i gave the first and last name of my grandfather, but i searched those and nothing comes up for him even so i was alive when he died lol so he existed. And my mothers name is Melidoro and nothing comes up for that name and she was born in italy Basillicata i was looking for a family crest too
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Last names

Post by elba »

Are you sure the name wasn't originally spelt Macchini? Often the h, which made it sound like MACKINI was missed when their arrival was documented. I only ask, because there is some evidence of Macchini as a family name.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi Elba the surname is covered in another simultaneous inquiry here but just to let you know there is no Macchi.... (whatever ending) listed inthe Italian surname dictionary save for maccaferri and Macchiavelli or Macri and lastly Macaluso of Sicilian origin with local and/or arabic roots. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:Hi Elba the surname is covered in another simultaneous inquiry here but just to let you know there is no Macchi.... (whatever ending) listed inthe Italian surname dictionary save for maccaferri and Macchiavelli or Macri and lastly Macaluso of Sicilian origin with local and/or arabic roots. =Peter=
I have no idea what this discussion is about ... but I presume you are aware that the name "macchini" gets 238 hits in the Italian telephone directory and is present in 83 comuni (mostly central and northern Italy) according to this map.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Peter is referencing the history of the name or the root name.
While it may be present in Italy today or even a hundred years ago as is my name, it is not found to be an original name to Italy......thus there is no reference regarding the name.

However, certain names developed from root names, changing over time.

Perhaps you can read the following:

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/index.html

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Wildspirit thank you for picking up where I left off. The Italian surname dicitonary lists Italian surnames and those not listed are either local surnames from one area of Italy where the surname appears to be concentrated and/or imported from abroad and italianized. Needles to say they are Italian surnames but their roots differ as explained by Wildspirit. =Peter=
~Peter~
lactosefree

Post by lactosefree »

lol well theres also Mancini like the piano player guy, but ive looked up Maccini and ive found italian residents with the name and the sur name Came up as Maccio + Maccini with the ini instead of o it says ur suppose to take the first few letters of the name i dont know i just want to know what region the name is based out of
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

You haven't given us the first and last name of your grandfather, a possible year of birth or immigration and/or the name of spouse, siblings and children. The place he eventually settled in would also be helpful. With this info we can better direct your search. :lol:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Misbris is correct when she requests additonal information forthe spelling of a specific person by surname in order to locate the town, province and region for that person with that surname.

Surnames which are listed in the Italian surname dictionary contain a base name from which all variations,alterations, deviations and abbreviations of that basic surname exist in Italy. At best certain surnames maybe concentrated in one specific area and then spread thruout the regions of Italy. The telephone directory can pinpoint the specific address of a person you are seeking. That website is www.paginebianche.it

If you go to www.gens,.labo.net/en/cognomi and put in a surname of your choosing inthe upper left hand side and click the arrow you will see the surname distribution thruout Italy for that one surname. =Peter=
~Peter~
lactosefree

Post by lactosefree »

i only know my grandfathers name Andrew Maccini year of birth i think 1924 but i think his dad was an immigrant not him.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Wildspirit thank you for picking up where I left off. The Italian surname dicitonary lists Italian surnames and those not listed are either local surnames from one area of Italy where the surname appears to be concentrated and/or imported from abroad and italianized. Needles to say they are Italian surnames but their roots differ as explained by Wildspirit. =Peter=
Thanks Wildspirit and Peter; I've seen references to this dictionary before but it wasn't clear from my brief reading of the earlier messages that that was the issue.

To both of you, a question (or two): By what means is it known that the surname dictionary is complete? Surely there must be a couple of names missing, no?

From what database was the dictionary compiled? Is it surnames of persons who were present on unification day?

What makes a surname "Italian" vs. local or regional?

All four of my grandparents come from families which I have traced back in Italy into the early 1800's and one into the mid 1700's. Of the four, only one is listed in the surname dictionary.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:... I've seen references to this dictionary before but it wasn't clear from my brief reading of the earlier messages that that was the issue.

To both of you, a question (or two): By what means is it known that the surname dictionary is complete? Surely there must be a couple of names missing, no?

From what database was the dictionary compiled? Is it surnames of persons who were present on unification day?

What makes a surname "Italian" vs. local or regional?

All four of my grandparents come from families which I have traced back in Italy into the early 1800's and one into the mid 1700's. Of the four, only one is listed in the surname dictionary.
Very good points
I'm eager to read the answers!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I have no idea if there are any missing surnames nor can I even conjecture about that. Any comment I make is anecdotal and unsubstantiated inthat regard

My reference book is based upon a well known Italian researcher Emidio De Felice who wrote the Dizionario Dei Cognomi Italiani whose pedigree is discussed in an article appearing in Ancestry.com. That website is
www.ancestry.com /learn/library/article.aspx?articles=8317 where your interests are discussed. This website has to be written in manually as I am not a member of Ancestry.com.

The dictionary lists Italian surnames whose roots may be foreign and derived from classical and religious antiquity dating back to shortly before pre-history along with their variations,alterations, derivations and abbreviations and distribtuion thruout history in Italy and outer islands.

After you read the article appearing in the Ancestry.com site above and have any further questions please get back to us. Un -listed Italian surnames are those that either have been imported from abroad thru the mists of time and italianized or arise from local Italian towns or areas and usually based upon nicknames that evolved into surnames when family surnames came into vogue inthe late 1300's for common people. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:...

After you read the article appearing in the <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> site above and have any further questions please get back to us. Un -listed Italian surnames are those that either have been imported from abroad thru the mists of time and italianized or arise from local Italian towns or areas and usually based upon nicknames that evolved into surnames when family surnames came into vogue inthe late 1300's for common people. =Peter=
Peter, for your notebook, the correct link is http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/a ... ticle=8317.

I have read the document and also a Google-translated version of the oft-quoted dictionary website.

Honestly, no where do I see any indication that the list claims to be complete. And, if it is not complete, then how to assure the validity of statements such as the one quoted above?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Are we truly interested in this particular book, there are others, or the numerous studies undertaken by Professors of history going back to the Romans? The Christians? Be it Italian, Scotish or English names??

If that is the case, you can start here, work your way thru hundreds of websites or perhaps contact an Italian professor or two. If Emidio De Felice
is still alive, contact him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology

However, if we are using the subject matter as a way to cause further conflict, debate and undermine the legitimate effort of another member,
then we can close the thread now.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."