Help Plz

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nightcrawler

Help Plz

Post by Nightcrawler »

Hi I am looking for some info on my family history. So far I have come up with my Great great grandparents of my great grandfather. I however have not come up with them (great great grandparents) on my great grandmothers side. My family name is Dalmolin, which then would've been Dal Molin I believe. My Parents of my Great Grand Father were Luigi Dal Molin and Teresa Dal Balcon. Any info on how to get more background on them would be great. My Great grandmother, who I have no parents for, her name was Madelina Dalmolin (Dal Molin) born 12 Aug 1893 and was the third cousin of my great grandfather Angelo Dalmolin (Dal Molin). I have looked for this info elsewhere and have not found much past my great grandparents.

Thanks For the Help
Donny
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Help Plz

Post by ptimber »

I assume they were born in what is now Italy and that you know the town of origin. I cannot check out anythign without the town of origin except to tell you that records in the churches were intiated in the 17th century and that may be the only source of records if there is no civil record on file with the family history library of the mormon chucrch nearest where you reside. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

HI....

There is a Maddelena Dal Molen who arrived at Ellis Island on May 9, 1914 at the age of 21 on the ship, Chicago, sailing out of the port of LeHavre. She came from the town of Laghi, which is south, south-west of Trento. She was on her way to Carnegie, PA., to meet up with her cousin, Giuseppe Magintoda (SP?) She left her father, Giuseppe, in Laghi. Her paperwork indicated that she became a citizen: 17-10628 8/21/1959
This does not appear to be Pennsylvania...did they live in Texas by any chance?

There is also an Angelo from the same town, who arrived in 1906, also on his way to Carnegie....
Go to this site for Ellis Island:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html
and you track both individuals back.

There are others from this town with the same surname that you should check as well. Just place the last name in the search engine...nothing else...and you will get the entire list to come up. There is a pair of cousins that came into the US. Ottilio and Antonio. Ottilio lists the name of his father as Luigi as well, while Antonio's father's name is Giuseppe...could these be brother's of Angelo and Maddelena? Not sure.

If you can tell me where they eventually settled in the US, I can attempt to track in the census. However, since the town of origin is likely Laghi, this will enable you to write for records.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Civil records in Laghi go back to 1871 so if you go to the nearest family history library you can rent out the microfilm and review the briths,marriages and deaths back to that time period which may prove helpful. Peter
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

Yes Essgee you have the right two people. Thx you are positive her father is Giuseppe? That is in fact the town where she had come from. Angelo is my Great grandfather. Everything matches on her that you have posted, departure, age, and date. I believe she finished her paper work in PA then met my Great grandfather in Texas and were married the day she arrived :) . BTW they both lived to be 101 <----great grandfather 99<-----Great grandmother, so I was able to know them both but too young to get any family history from them :( . If you could link me to a site so I might be able to find thier parents and maybe further back I would really appreciate it. I live in America and don't know how to find anything past my Great great grandfather and great great grandmother on my great grandfather's side. I am building a family tree for my son so he knows where he comes from. :oops: oops yes he did infact have 2 brothers come also, Valentino and Otillio <----I believe.

Thx
Donny
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi.....

Peter gave information that the civil records for Laghi are on microfilm at the Family History Library. Go to www.familysearch.org. Now, they only go back to 1879...so you will only get the one generation... However, the marriage records for his or her parents might take you back an additional generation.

Earlier records will have to be obtained from the town directly.

Let us know how it goes....
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

:D Thx for the help guys. Hopefully I can get the info I need. This is more than I have gotten so far.

Thx again
Donny
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

:( Alas to no avail I have found nothing on my great grandfather or great grandmother. I have found many Dal Molin's in Italy from the same town, but nothing about them. Its as if their live only started when they arrived in America. I have even tried doing my great granfathers parents and still nothing. I could see if I couldn't find them I guess. Although I have found Dal Molin's born before my great grandfather :? . Was my family in some kinda secret service and had to leave 8O . I don't know but I wish I did. I have all thier birth dates so maybe if I post them here someone could help.

Angelo Dal Molin (Dalmolin) 21 Nov 1891 <--- I have found elsewhere the 24th of Nov

Madelina Dal Molin (Dalmolin) 12 Aug 1893 <---- I have found nothing for her not even a death certificate

Again thanks for any help you can give me.

Donny
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Donny go to the microfilms as has been suggested and now urged! Peter
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

:oops: I hate to say it but I am a noob when it comes to this. I have looked but I can't find the microfilm stuff. The stuff I find is in Italian and I don't speak or read Italian. Sorry for being a pest. I'll try harder I promise.

Donny