Bracchi / Malchiodi from Piacenza --- Ottone and Pecorara

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jessicapuccio

Bracchi / Malchiodi from Piacenza --- Ottone and Pecorara

Post by jessicapuccio »

Just want to let you know that I am tracing the family tree of Giuseppe Bracchi born around 1880 in Ottone, Italy and his wife Maria Malchiodi born in Pecorara - they moved to the Bronx around 1899 and died in New Jersey. Their children are Angelio, Giovanni, Rinaldo and Rose. I have more information if any of this sounds familiar.
caseyr1

Re: Bracchi / Malchiodi from Piacenza --- Ottone and Pecorar

Post by caseyr1 »

Hi, I have a Antonio Pedro Bracchi born in Italy, married to Martina Catanio (Cattaneo). They had 4 children, Elizabeth, Charles, Leah and Augusta. They lived in New York and New Jersey. He was born about 1880. Do any of these names sound familiar? I'm looking more for the name Catanio (Cattaneo, spelled in Italy). If you have any of these names, I'd like to compare notes with you. I'm also researching Canevari, Acquistapace and Malaspina. These names were originally from Primaluna and Orezzoli Italy. Thanks for your time.
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Hi there...while I do not recognize any of the names that you have mentioned that does not mean we might not have a connection. I just recently contacted one of my great-great-grandfather's sons and his children...and by recently I mean last week...and we are going to try to piece together our genealogical tree...as well as make up for lost time.

My gggf was Giuseppe Bracchi and while he had many brothers but I belive they mostly remained in Italy. I have ordered the film rolls for the Piacenza region covering the 1800s and they should arrive in the next few weeks. I could look for your family's surnames as well should you wish as Orezzoli is in this region.

Have you found records from the Ellis Island website for Antonio Bracchi? My family travelled many times through Ellis Island but they also travelled via Boston. I have a funny inkling that one of the records on the Ellis Island website might belong to my gggf but since he is travelling with a Luigi to Boston and no one knows of a relative named Luigi (yet) we can't confirm this record.

I am certain you know about the naming conventions used in Italy but as Antonio and Martina's children have very American sounding names I am not certain if you could try searching for their Italian equivalents to guess Antonio's parents' names?

I wish you the best and should you want me to check the film when it arrives I would be more than happy to do so.
caseyr1

Post by caseyr1 »

Hi,

I really appreciate your reply. I haven't been able to find any record from Ellis Island for Antonio Bracchi. I did find my grandfather Francesco Catanio (Cattaneo) and my grandmother Caterina Canevari. I think they came over here around 1863. Antonio Bracchi came shortly after, if I remember correctly. Yes, I noticed that all of his childrens names were more American than Italian.

If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate any help that you can give me. My grandmother Caterina Canevari was born in Orezzoli along with her parents Giovanni Canevari and her mother Maria Malaspina. My grandmother had a brother named Andrew. That's all I know there. My grandmother was born October 19, 1884 and my grandfather Francesco Joseph Cattaneo was born June 8, 1881. He was born in Primaluna.

Do you live in Italy? It's so nice of you offering to help. Thank you so much for your help. Take care and God bless you.

Kathi
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Hello Kathi -
I would love to help but I must warn you that I can only do so much so quickly because I am not a genealogist, this is just a "hobby" and because I have a regular 9-5 (which is a 7-5) and my library is not open late most nights.
The Family History Center phoned and while the rolls of film I have ordered should be available they are in the vaults do to age (I think one of the files actually goes back into the 1600) so it may take a couple of weeks for them to arrive. :(
I am still hopeful that these rolls will provide some information to parents or siblings of families from the Piacenza region.
I will forward the information that you sent last night re: your ancestors and see what I can find during lunch. Do you know where in NY or NJ your grandparents stayed when they arrived? I may have to ask for your parents names as well to confirm a census record, but I'll let you know.
Jessica
P.S. I live in Florida...though I wish it was Italy....maybe one day.
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

OK, I was reviewing your poast and got slightly confused as you had stated that Francesco and Caternia arrived around 1863 but Francesco wasn't born until 1881 and Cateraina until 1884.

No worries there, probably just a typo, but I also am uncertain as to your relationship to Antonio Bracchi and Martina Catanio and whether Martina is a daughter of Francesco and Caterina. So far I can gather the following:

Your GrandParents:

Francesco Joseph Catanio ....................................... Caterina Canevari
B. 8 June 1881 in Primaluna, IT B. 19 Oct 1884 in Orezzoli, IT

Your GreatGrandParents (on Caterina's side)

Giovanni Canevari ....................................... Maria Malaspina

But I do not think that your parents are Antonio Pedro Bracchi and Martina Catanio since Kathi was not one of the names of the children you mentioned earlier. However, Martina Catanio could still be a child of Francesco and Caternia, she would just be your aunt instead of your mother. Is that correct? Or perhaps we were missing a "great" before grandparents in your earlier post. Let me know the correct tree and what other dates, if any, you have so that I can reduce the number of records to share. THanks!
caseyr1

Post by caseyr1 »

I've been trying to think of the easiest way to give you my tree info. I'll send you what I have in my earliest ancestors. Here it is...

Descendants of Gerolamo Cattaneo

Generation No. 1

1. GEROLAMO1 CATTANEO He married ROSA ACQUISTAPACE.

Children of GEROLAMO CATTANEO and ROSA ACQUISTAPACE are:
2. i. FRANCESCO JOSEPH CATTANEO2 CATANIO, b. 08 Jun 1881, Primaluna, Italy; d. 23 Feb 1953, Readington, NJ.
3. ii. MARTINA CATANIO.
4. iii. MARIETTA CATANIO.
5. iv. MADAGENIA CATANIO.
6. v. DOMENIC CAROLINA CATANIO.

Generation No. 2

2. FRANCESCO JOSEPH CATTANEO2 CATANIO (GEROLAMO1 CATTANEO) was born 08 Jun 1881 in Primaluna, Italy, and died 23 Feb 1953 in Readington, NJ. He married CATERINA CANEVARI 11 Jan 1911 in Manhatten, NYC, daughter of GIOVANNI CANEVARI and MARIA MALASPINA. She was born 19 Oct 1884 in Orezzoli, Italy, and died 14 Jan 1962 in Hunterdon Medical Center, Flemington, NJ.

Children of FRANCESCO CATANIO and CATERINA CANEVARI are:
7. i. PETER RAYMOND "RAY"3 CATANIO, b. 07 Aug 1918, 365 Warren Street, Brooklyn, NY; d. 09 Mar 1973, Hunterdon Medical Center, Flemington, NJ.
8. ii. ELINOR CATANIO, b. 1913, 365 Warren Street, Brooklyn, NY; d. 1984.
9. iii. GRACE M. CATANIO, b. 23 Sep 1914, 365 Warren Street, Brooklyn, NY; d. 03 Jul 2000, Whiting, New Jersey.
iv. EDWARD JEROME CATANIO, b. 16 Sep 1916, 365 Warren Street, Brooklyn, NY; d. 11 Oct 1993; m. IRENE KIRBY.

More About EDWARD JEROME CATANIO:
Social Security Number: 145-20-0855

10. v. FRANCIS CATANIO, b. 01 Nov 1921, 365 Warren Street, Brooklyn, NY.
11. vi. NORMA CATANIO, b. 19 Oct 1925, Brooklyn, New York; d. 20 Mar 2009, At home in Readington.
vii. NORMA CATANIO, b. Abt. 1923; d. Abt. 1926.

3. MARTINA2 CATANIO (GEROLAMO1 CATTANEO) She married ANTONIO PEDRO BRACCHI.

Children of MARTINA CATANIO and ANTONIO BRACCHI are:
12. i. ELIZABETH3 BRACCHI.
ii. CHARLES BRACHCI.
13. iii. LEAH BRACCHI.
iv. AUGUSTA BRACCHI.

4. MARIETTA2 CATANIO (GEROLAMO1 CATTANEO) She married ? BRAMBELLO.

Children of MARIETTA CATANIO and ? BRAMBELLO are:
14. i. ROSE3 BRAMBELLO.
ii. CHARLES BRAMBELLO.
iii. ISABELLA BRAMBELLO.

5. MADAGENIA2 CATANIO (GEROLAMO1 CATTANEO) She married AMBROSIO BRAMBELLA.

Child of MADAGENIA CATANIO and AMBROSIO BRAMBELLA is:
15. i. LIZZIE3 BRAMBELLA.

6. DOMENIC CAROLINA2 CATANIO (GEROLAMO1 CATTANEO) She married AMBROGLIO BRAMBELLO.

Child of DOMENIC CATANIO and AMBROGLIO BRAMBELLO is:
i. ELIZABETH3 BRAMBELLO.

I think that may have been the easiest. And yes, I made an error on the date that my grandfather Francesco Joseph Cattaneo came to the U.S. He came over about 1901. Thanks again. I'm sorry my last letter was so confusing.....

Kathi
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Hello Kathi,
No need to apologize, your letter wasn't that confusing, I was just not familiar with your family tree! I thought I was trying to find only one "branch" of your tree and it contained both Martina, Antionio, Francesco and Maria...but now I see you are searching for multiple branches.

I had started in this manner and found that I could never confirm many details outside of my direct lineage so I wish you the best in your efforts.

I will now try to concentrate on the Bracchi lineage for you as we may be able to connect here in some way...plus it seems you have quite a bit to go on for Francesco and Maria already.

My family is quite slow in their follow-up responses though I was inundated with phone calls from new family members last week. It also appears that the Family History Center records will take some time. But with all things, patience is a virtue and I do hope that I will be able to help you in some way....sooner rather than later.

Regards....Jessica
caseyr1

Post by caseyr1 »

Hi Jessica,

Yes, I'm mostly searching for the Cattaneo/Catanio surname. When I saw your posting on Bracchi, I thought I'd check to see if you had any connections. Please don't go out of your way for the names I sent, I just thought if you came upon any of them, you could let me know. I know how tedious this can be. I've been working on my tree for over 10 years now. Between my husbands family and mine, I've gotten over 6000 ancestors! It's a lot of work but well worth it, in my opinion. Did you get my last message about where they all settled? I sent it as a Private Message. In case you didn't, they settled in Brooklyn, New York and then moved to Readington, New Jersey. Thanks again for trying to help. Take care, and God bless :)

Kathi
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Hi Kathi...I went to my local library today and found some information...I hope it will be useful and new to you...I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find much information so I just kept trying random people and got a little lucky but wasn't able to go very far...perhaps there were some name changes that you don't know about...Italians (here I am grossly exaggerating) tended to use nicknames or americanized versions of their proper names...many inverted first names and middle names...anyway I have two images to send to you...you could email me at jessicapuccio @ hotmail . com and I'll reply with the data.
alison11

Post by alison11 »

Hi there. I am one of the four grandchildren of Rinaldo Bracchi. I am just starting to trace my history can you send me any further information that you may have?
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Hello Alison...are you Alan's daughter? I sent a huge file to Alan via email about a month or so ago that contained everything that I had found regarding Rinaldo's brother Angelo and what little I could find about their father Joseph / Giuseppe.

I have a roll of film from the Family History Center that is due to go back to Utah this week unless I pay to renew the loan, but no one has been able to get back to me regarding Joseph's true birth date. I actually think he was born in 1879 now and his last name on Italian Certificates may be Barchi and not Bracchi...I was hoping Melisa, Elaine or your father would have a prayer card or more information so that I could confirm this page or search for a new certificate on the roll of film.

I think we just became "friends" on facebook so if you would like you could find my hotmail account and I could send you an attachment of what I sent your father?!

Let me know your thoughts and what information you may have and where you are starting from. Thanks!! I look forward to working with someone on this and hopefuly meeting everyone soon.

Jessica
alison11

Post by alison11 »

Hi Jessica,

I just received all of the e-mails you sent to my father. Thank you for that. I have done no research yet...my husband's family tree was just done so he wanted to get mine done to put them together for our children...so you are looking for Joseph/ Giuseppe's true birth date...I will follow up with my Dad and Aunt.

Thanks for all of your hard work!!!
Alison
jessicapuccio

Post by jessicapuccio »

Glad to be of some help...please feel free to call any time to discuss any thing that you find or need help finding...my local library has access to Ancestry.com but without an obituary I don't have much to go on as I was unable to find Joseph's SSN. If you have any luck in finding that we may have a link to Joseph's birth certificate and parent's names. Thanks and Keep in Touch!!
Gianetto

Post by Gianetto »

One Giuseppe Barchi born in 1879 in the Ottone comune birth index.