Starting search for Romano relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
val_romano

Starting search for Romano relatives

Post by val_romano »

I have finally decided to begin my search for Romano relatives. However, I am not sure how to go about it, so I am starting here. I have some information about my grandfather, who, after going to Argentina from Sicilia, left some family behind. He met my grandmother in Argentina, and they had my father, Sebastian. I know when and where my grandfather was born, and the names I have of his parents are apparently correct. I also believe to know the names of a brother and sister of his.
As far as what my father knows, he has (or had) a half-sister, whose name I don't know, but I am guessing I may have cousins.
I have no idea what to do to try to find out what relatives I may have on my father's side, and hope anyone here might know how to help.

Thanks a lot,

Valeria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Starting search for Romano relatives

Post by wldspirit »

You have a couple of options. You can write to the town of origin, and request records on the family. Birth, marriage and death records would be obtained from the Stato Civile office.

Also, a historical state of the family certificate will reveal the composition of the family. This can be obtained from the Anagrafe office.

This interactive form letter can be used for request:

Record Request

To search for those persons who share your surname and may be related,
you can use the following:

cognome = surname
dove = town
cerca = search

PagineBianche

The following can be used to send to those who share your surname:

Potential Relative Letter

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can also go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html which is a brief explanation on how todo your own Italian Genealogy Research. This way you can understand why the instructions provided above are the best way to find your family in Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

val_romano wrote:I know when and where my grandfather was born, and the names I have of his parents are apparently correct.
Where was he born in Sicily?
val_romano

Post by val_romano »

I am sure all of this information will be very useful. Thank you very much. As for my grandfather, his name was Carmelo. He was born in Siracusa, and for some reason, the Villa Giardino rings a bell to my father and me.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Villa Giardino, I believe, is a place where people can celebrate their civil marriages free of charge and its official names is Giardino di Villa Reiman on Via N. Grotticelli 74 and is next to the civil registry offices. =Peter=
~Peter~
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

This might help

original name: Villa Giardino
geographical location: Punilla, Cordoba, Argentina, South America

Since your grandfather went to Argentina, this could be why Villa Giardino sounds familiar, it's not in Italy though.

Edit at 11:05am to add supporting link for information I provided

http://www.maplandia.com/argentina/cord ... -giardino/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I believe the Villa Giardino is in Siracusa, Sicily and the Villa Giardino is a well known place where couples celebrate their civil marriages. of course there could be a Villa Giardino inArgentina but it would be called Villa Jardin. =Peter=
~Peter~
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

PeterTimber wrote: of course there could be a Villa Giardino inArgentina but it would be called Villa Jardin. =Peter=

Not necessarily, that's sort of like saying there is no Los Angeles in the USA. Often (naturally) there are towns in foreign contries where the name alone challenges the pronunciation skills of it's native people, usually as a result of the influence of the immigrants who settled there.

Like this town for example...

Villa Giardino, Argentina
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I could not find any place called "Villa Giardino" in Siracusa.
The Villa Reimann in Siracusa is also known for its garden (giardino in Italian) but its name is Villa Reimann, not Villa Giardino.

Since Carmelo met his wife in Argentina it is very likely that Villa Giardino is the town situated in Punilla, Cordoba.
val_romano

Post by val_romano »

Portopalo, Siracusa was where he was born, in 1897. I am still not sure why Villa Giardino would ring a bell, but we are sure it's not because of the place in Córdoba, Argentina. If anyone would know anything about this, great, and I will do my best to start off with some of the info. I was offered.

val