Giovanni or Paolo De Marinis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carina86

Giovanni or Paolo De Marinis

Post by carina86 »

Hi. im trying to find any information at all on my great grandfather Giovanni or Paolo De Marinis. We are unsure of his first name, records show it is either Giovanni or Paolo. Died around 1918, married Maria Cabornetto in 1916. Giovanni was a member of the 1st regiment of the Alpini. Had one son Frank De Marinis in 1918.

any information at all would be great.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Giovanni or Paolo De Marinis

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to IG!
Can you provide more specific information? Year of birth for Giovanni or Maria? Did they immigrate? And to what location?
You state records have conflicting names, what records have you obtained
so that member does not duplicate research.
Members can better direct your search with these additional details.
wldspirit :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
carina86

Post by carina86 »

Marie De Marinis nee Cabonetto migrated to Australia in the 1920's on board the D'Italia. There is a book publish about the passenagers "In Search of Kings" and Maria is quoted as marrying Paolo De Marinis in 1916. Also on my grandfathers immigration paper he lists his father as Paolo. Marie and my grandfather Francesco de Marinis passed when i was young. However my uncle remembers my great grandfathers name as Giovanni.

Unfortunatly we have no idea of giovanni's birth date, we estimate it was around 1894 and died either 1917 or 1918 as he passed before francesco was born in April 1918. we do know he was an Alpini solider from the 1st regiment (i was informed that it was the 1st regiment by my uncle).

Maria De Marinis was born in San Remo on April 1899. Where she met Giovanni De Marinis who was "stationed" there as a solider. After he died Maria moved to Torino to give birth to Francesco where Giovanni's brothers and sisters lived. Maria latter married in 1920's to a Agostino Costella.

Francesco attended Salesian College in Torino as a war orphan when he was 6.

i also have copies of the australian immigration papers and interee papers for Francesco and interee papers for Maria . Unforntunately this is all the information i have and this has taken me years to locate.
Any help at all would be great.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

carina86 wrote:Hi. im trying to find any information at all on my great grandfather Giovanni or Paolo De Marinis. We are unsure of his first name, records show it is either Giovanni or Paolo. Died around 1918, married Maria Cabornetto in 1916. Giovanni was a member of the 1st regiment of the Alpini. Had one son Frank De Marinis in 1918.

any information at all would be great.
Hi I found this record, but I know not if is abt your ancestor
Tenente De Marinis Giovanni nato il 02/09/1894 morto il 06/05/1917 sul campo. 1° R.G.T. – Artiglieria da fortezza
born the 2 sept 1894, died 6 may 1917- 1° regiment; born in Roccanova town, Basilicata region, IT

source
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
carina86

Post by carina86 »

Thank you. i also found that information but a number of things don't fit in mainly the date of death as francesco (my grandfather) was born in April 1918. Also it is rumored in my family that the De Marinis' owned an orchard in Torino and orginated there.

Any information at all would help me so much in finding out my family history.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

De Marinis is a surname of south Italy especially....
however by photocopy of original marriage act, sure it is possible where Giovanni/Paolo coming from.. you can request it in Sanremo civil records office here the email of right office
http://www.comunedisanremo.it/?q=node/view/239
you must ask:
Copia Integrale Atto di Matrimonio di Cabonetto Maria nata a Sanremo nell'aprile 1899 e coniugatasi nel 1916 a Sanremo
from this document you can descover what interest you; sure the right name, the age in the marriage, the birthplace of Giovanni/Paolo..
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
carina86

Post by carina86 »

Thank you everyone for helping me. i am still looking for more information. i have emailed the Sanremo civil records for a copy of marriage certificate, as sugguest. But i have not heard back from them. if anybody has any other suggestions. please let me know.
Also if i was to obtain a copy of my grandfathers milliary record where would i get that information from, would it be from the providence he was born or is there national archives for this.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

for marriage certificate you must wait almost 30/40 days...
for to have a copy of military papers abt Giovanni or Paolo De Marinis, you must wait the marriage act, so you can know the right first name, where and when he was born , and after you can start the military papers request in right place in Italy...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH