Marriage Customs

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage Customs

Post by tbottegal »

My ggrandfather was married in a relgious ceremony in 1881. When his son was born 2 years later, he was given a different surname.

When the son was 18, an entry was made in the civil records about who his father was, and his name was changed to his father's surname.

Here are my questions:

Why wouldn't a couple also have a civil ceremony so the marriage would be recognized?

What were the penalties for having a son after a religious ceremony without a civil ceremony.

Why would a father wait until his son was 18 years old to claim him?

Thanks,
T. Bottegal
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Marriage Customs

Post by suanj »

tbottegal wrote:My ggrandfather was married in a relgious ceremony in 1881. When his son was born 2 years later, he was given a different surname.

When the son was 18, an entry was made in the civil records about who his father was, and his name was changed to his father's surname.

Here are my questions:

Why wouldn't a couple also have a civil ceremony so the marriage would be recognized?

What were the penalties for having a son after a religious ceremony without a civil ceremony.

Why would a father wait until his son was 18 years old to claim him?

Thanks,
T. Bottegal
Hi Think not is this the problem.. in the past ceremony religious was + important that civil with all right.. around 1881 in Italy are many persons anti-church, and the italian people are for church power and anti-church power...I think that in your double, was others personal question, probable of culture, or not limpid relationships..an cause, perhaps, when the father was not sure of the paternity, and recognized the son only subsequently, giving the last name, when it was sure that he was truly its son. He was enough little in order to make to happen this, in order to ruin a wedding, was enough an anonymous letter with lies on wife fidelity, and the husband avoided to son the surname, and left it to grow until when was truly sure to be the father... hoping clear(my english..!),
regards, suanj
also the marriages was in this political optical..
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

suanj - thanks for your reply. That helps me understand.

I'm not sure I understand your last comment:

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

tbottegal wrote:suanj - thanks for your reply. That helps me understand.

I'm not sure I understand your last comment:

in political vision, in political topic ..
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

OK, now I understand.

- Thanks!