Translate this email note please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Translate this email note please

Post by donnawright »

"Scusami se hoatteso un po per risponderti, ho seri problemi conl'inglese e di conseguenza in un primo tempo ho pensato di farmi aiutarepoi, considerata la possibilità di scambi futuri è meglio nonrischiare.Per quanto riguarda la mia famiglia c'è poco da dire, nati ecresciuti tutti, mio papà fosco e suo padre fortunato in quel difonteblanda, ridente paesino vicino a grosseto, alcuni discendenti comeil fratello e la sorella di papà si sono trasferiti a firenze e milan,mente alcuni fratelli di nonno frtunato si sono divisi tra milano, roma,catania e la germania. Se desiderassinotizie più dettagliate cercherò diaccontentarti.Complimenti per la bella fotografia, ispirate gioia eserenità"
Kavescmac

Re: Translate this email note please

Post by Kavescmac »

donnawright wrote:"Scusami se hoatteso un po per risponderti, ho seri problemi conl'inglese e di conseguenza in un primo tempo ho pensato di farmi aiutarepoi, considerata la possibilità di scambi futuri è meglio nonrischiare.Per quanto riguarda la mia famiglia c'è poco da dire, nati ecresciuti tutti, mio papà fosco e suo padre fortunato in quel difonteblanda, ridente paesino vicino a grosseto, alcuni discendenti comeil fratello e la sorella di papà si sono trasferiti a firenze e milan,mente alcuni fratelli di nonno frtunato si sono divisi tra milano, roma,catania e la germania. Se desiderassinotizie più dettagliate cercherò diaccontentarti.Complimenti per la bella fotografia, ispirate gioia eserenità"
Here is my translation, though admittedly my Italian is *very* limited, and this appeared to be quickly written, as some words were run together. (ex. difonteblanda = di Fonteblanda)

Excuse me if I waited a while to respond, I have serious problems with English and therefore at first I thought to make myself help then, given the possibility of future trade is better not risking. Regarding my family, there is little to say, all born and grown, my dad in Fosco and his father fortunate in Fonteblanda, a small village near Grosseto, some descendants such as the brother and sister of father moved to Florence and Milan, with some brothers from his grandfather luckily are divided between Milan, Roma, Catania and Germany. If you want more detailed information I will try to satisfy you. Compliments for the beautiful photo, inspired joy & serenity.

Hope this helps,
Karen
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

That was a really good attempt Kavescmac. Well done for noticing the 'pairing up' of some words. I noticed that you missed the grandfather's name (Fortunato) as it wasn't written with a capital letter and is also another word. I hope you don't mind me showing what I made of it too.
elba

Forgive me if I have waited a while before replying to you, I have serious problems with English and consequently at first I thought to get some help, then considering the possibility of future exchanges felt it was better not to risk it.

As regards to my family there is little to tell, all are born and grown up now, my father Fosco and his father Fortunato in that pleasant village of Fonteblanda, near to Grosseto, some descendants like father's brother and sister moved to Florence and Milan, while a few brothers of grandfather Fortunato were divided between Milan, Rome, Catania and Germany. If you would like more detailed news I will try and meet your wishes. Congratulations on the lovely photograph, you inspire joy and serenity.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Thank you Karen and Elba. I am making more contacts in Italy now and the language definitely is a barrier. My dad always wanted us to speak English for his benefit and so none of the six of us ever learned Italian, tho my oldest sister (17 years older than I) could understand some. I'll try not to be a bother.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Donna Don't worry about not knowing Italian. We all grew up with the same maxim to speak english and not learn Italian. it is just a matter of where you were born and raised and the "climate" that existed for languages.

Anytime you need help in Italian we are all here for you. =Peter=
~Peter~
Kavescmac

Post by Kavescmac »

Thanks Elba for the correction! (Thanks also for the compliment!) Your translation is much better than mine! :D I am still trying to learn Italian, such a beautiful language, but sooooo difficult for me!!

Thanks again, Karen

elba wrote:That was a really good attempt Kavescmac. Well done for noticing the 'pairing up' of some words. I noticed that you missed the grandfather's name (Fortunato) as it wasn't written with a capital letter and is also another word. I hope you don't mind me showing what I made of it too.
elba

Forgive me if I have waited a while before replying to you, I have serious problems with English and consequently at first I thought to get some help, then considering the possibility of future exchanges felt it was better not to risk it.

As regards to my family there is little to tell, all are born and grown up now, my father Fosco and his father Fortunato in that pleasant village of Fonteblanda, near to Grosseto, some descendants like father's brother and sister moved to Florence and Milan, while a few brothers of grandfather Fortunato were divided between Milan, Rome, Catania and Germany. If you would like more detailed news I will try and meet your wishes. Congratulations on the lovely photograph, you inspire joy and serenity.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Kavescmac wrote:Thanks Elba for the correction! (Thanks also for the compliment!) Your translation is much better than mine! :D I am still trying to learn Italian, such a beautiful language, but sooooo difficult for me!!

Thanks again, Karen
So long as I didn't offend you. But learning a language takes time... translating often takes a little longer. I often come accross a word and while I instinctively know what it means, I'm aware that the version I know doesn't sound 'quite right' for the text I'm translating. So that then entails checking on the actual meaning and then perhaps another check in a thesaurus for variations - that's when you often see the 'right' word to use in context and you jump up saying 'EUREKA!".

So be proud - your attempt was good, and if you are willing to accept the odd (polite) correction now and then, you'll get on like a house on fire. You'll see.

One other little trick - if someone posts something that looks a little bit daunting, copy it and do a translation for yourself. Then compare it with the translation done by someone else. Believe me, that really does help you learn!

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Kavescmac

Post by Kavescmac »

No, I am not at all offended, Elba. I appreciate ANY and ALL corrections! Thanks again

So long as I didn't offend you. But learning a language takes time... translating often takes a little longer. I often come accross a word and while I instinctively know what it means, I'm aware that the version I know doesn't sound 'quite right' for the text I'm translating. So that then entails checking on the actual meaning and then perhaps another check in a thesaurus for variations - that's when you often see the 'right' word to use in context and you jump up saying 'EUREKA!".

So be proud - your attempt was good, and if you are willing to accept the odd (polite) correction now and then, you'll get on like a house on fire. You'll see.

One other little trick - if someone posts something that looks a little bit daunting, copy it and do a translation for yourself. Then compare it with the translation done by someone else. Believe me, that really does help you learn!

elba[/quote]