Translation and some advice please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Translation and some advice please

Post by nrepole »

Hi all,

A while ago I wrote to the State archives of Potenza (in Basilicata) asking for copies of passport and military records of some of my ancestors. They have now sent me an email stating 'Si comunica che sono stati rintracciati i fogli matricolari dei seguenti nominativi' and then it goes on to list my relatives and their dates of birth. The email ends by saying 'Si informa che questo Archivio non conserva la copia del passaporto rilasciato ai suddenti nominativi'. Now I take it that they have found military records of my ancestors but do not have any copies of those passports I asked for. Is this right? And I had asked in my letter for an idea of costs for this service but in the email response, there is no mention of payment...do I assume that they will post it to me soon with no payment necessary? or do I now write them an email asking what I need to do now to get that military information? If so, can someone show me how I should expreess myself in Italian.

Many thanks

Nick
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Translation and some advice please

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes your observation is correct..theyhave the file and do not have the passport.

I would write back with a copy of their communication and simply state :Grazie tanto per l'informazione. Sono in aspetto per il conto cosi posso ricevere i documenti al piu presto.

Translation: Thank you very much for the information. I am waiting for your bill of charges so that I can receive the documents as soon as possible

=Peter=
~Peter~
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation and some advice please

Post by nrepole »

Thanks for the help Peter. I will write back as you suggested.

Regards,
Nick