My Great Grandfathers Place of Birth

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Persy

My Great Grandfathers Place of Birth

Post by Persy »

Hi Everyone, I am a brand new member, and hoping to get a little help...On my great grandfathers intent to naturalize paperwork; filed in 1894, he states he was born in Naples....I am trying to locate a copy of his birth certificate and am being told that it is not in Naples.....Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated....Have a great day. Mike Persia
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: My Great Grandfathers Place of Birth

Post by ptimber »

Have you gone thru the www.ellisisland.,org website for his town of origin? This is the easiest way to go. Peter
newscott

Post by newscott »

You might also try marriage records if he was married in the US. Most church records would record the town he was BAPTIZED in. This is how I found out my great grandfather was born in a different town than the rest of his siblings.

Good luck.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your suggestion about marriage record while a distant lead precludes a more simple check of ellis island records which are accesible here on the computer. After ellis island, there is a naturaliization and census check also accesible on the coimputer, But thanks for the assist. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Persy wrote:Hi Everyone, I am a brand new member, and hoping to get a little help...On my great grandfathers intent to naturalize paperwork; filed in 1894, he states he was born in Naples....I am trying to locate a copy of his birth certificate and am being told that it is not in Naples.....Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated....Have a great day. Mike Persia
Assume that since he was applying in 1894, he arrived before the opening of Ellis Island. However, if he made a trip home and back again, it would be good to check those records as Peter suggested.

What is your grandfather's full name? maybe we can help. I found a Peter Persia who was naturalized by 1900 so I thought it might be him. But I found nothing in the pre-Ellis Island records or Ellis Island itself for this man.

For a listing of Naples, a man might be born in the Province of Naples...and therefore come from many different towns. Or he could be born in the city of Naples itself. So this may be where the problem lies. Look at Ellis Island and see if you find other first names that are similar...the naming patterns for the same town are similar. And check and see what towns they came from. Look for a death record and see if it mentions anything. A cemetery record might apply as well. If he lived in town with a city newpaper, he might be in the obituaries. Look for other relatives in the same area. Close friends may have come from the same town.

Everything can be a clue. If you have the Declaration of Intent, does it list the ship he arrived on? Maybe the passenger record will reveal something. People from the same towns often traveled together.

What is the maiden name of his wife? If you find a town where both names exist, it will narrow it all down a bit. Wish we could be more specific. Doubt he every applied for Social Security...but did he belong to a union of some sort? May have had to fill out paperwork and place of birth for that....

Let us know his name and the maiden name of his wife and we well see if we can find anything.....
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Persy wrote:Hi Everyone, I am a brand new member, and hoping to get a little help...On my great grandfathers intent to naturalize paperwork; filed in 1894, he states he was born in Naples....I am trying to locate a copy of his birth certificate and am being told that it is not in Naples.....Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated....Have a great day. Mike Persia
In all records, on ellis island, for Persia surname, are only 1 that coming from near Naples: Castelliri(Caserta province)..more: Persia records misspelling coming from Roccasecca (also Caserta province)...Before 1891 are in Italy 7 Persia records, all final destination New York, unknow birthplace, but with Naples port's departure.. Currently many Persia person, in Naples province, are only in Castellammare di Stabia town...
First name your ancestor?
Regards, suanj