Passports

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Passports

Post by tonij16102 »

My grandfather finally settled in America in 1909 is there a way to find a copy of his passport? The original had been thrown out many years ago. His name that is on the Passenger Ship's List that I have is Annibale DiBernardo and that he arrived at the Port Of Philadelphia March 21,1909.

Thanks again,
Toni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Passports

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Toni Italy started issuing passports in 1900 but the years varied by province. While these records are usually in the office of the QUESTURA's Office for each province, some provinces have stored their older records in the provincial archives. The passport document application show date and location of birth and reesidence as well as physical description. Photo were used in later periods.

One of the historical notes for you and other readers is that the importance of the passport records increased with the disappearance of the departing passenger manifest lists. Those lists were sent from the Italian ports (Genova, Napoli, Palermo etc to Rome and someitme in 1994 they DISAPPEARED. Attempts to locate their whereabouts, if not destroyed are ongoing. It is hoped that their current location will be found one day.

=Peter=
~Peter~
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

TY Peter

So in other words in the office of Caserta where I am requesting my other documents I also can get a copy of his passport from them? I know where he deported from which was Naples. Is there an address I can request this from if the office I am writing to already doesn't have them?

Thanks again,
Toni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Toni,The records for Italian pasports can still be with the Questura in Caserta or they may be in the archives of the ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI CASERTA, Via dei Bersaglieri 9, 81100, Caserta, Calabria.

I suggest that you send an e-mail to the Archivio di Stato di Caserta at
"as-ce@benciulturali.it" and ask them if the requests for Italian passport for the years 1909-1910 are in their archives?

If they rerspond and say they do not have the records for the passports then perhaps you can contact the Questura in Caserta as well. The e-mail address for the Questura is " uffgab.ce/poliziadistato.it" and the address is Piazza Della Prefettura 5, 8110, Caserta, Campania. =Peter=
~Peter~
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

That's wonderful news for me Peter that is the office that I am dealing with right now they are really wonderful to responding by e-mail very quickly. Does Italy take a censuses like the US does? And if so what would it be called and what information would it have on it and are there only certain years they would have for these?

Thanks again Peter,
Toni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

They have an office of censimenti at Ufficio di Anagrafe in caserta where you can make inquiries about Caserta census records. You can find their address at www.nonsolocap.it and clickon Caserta and thenCERCA and when Caserta comes up clickon Caserta itself and a web page will come up. Scroll down to Municipio and that is the address for the Uffico di Anagrafe. =Peter=
~Peter~
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

Ty Peter so I can just ask for these records in the municipio at Camigliano where my grandfather came from?
Thanks again Peter,
Toni
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Toni this is the website for Italy census.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/instit ... tatistiche which should explain how the census works in Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Toni this is the website for Italy census.
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/instit ... tatistiche which should explain how the census works in Italy. =Peter=
Ty once again Peter,
Toni
barbalatte

Post by barbalatte »

Why did you have Caserta, "Calabria"? Caserta is "Campagna" Region!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes Caserta is in Campania region of Italy. Despite all attempts to buy a bottle of youth there is none available and alas alack I suffer from cosmic moments as you will in due time. =Peter=
~Peter~
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If you find that bottle of youth let me know!!
I've had more than my share of cosmic moments... :lol:
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.......doI know you? =peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

tonij16102 wrote:.. I can just ask for these records in the municipio at Camigliano where my grandfather came from?
Thanks again Peter,
Toni
Yes you should ask the records at

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Camigliano
Piazza Principe di Piemonte
81050 Camigliano CE
Italy