I hit the Mother Lode! but a few missing documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

I hit the Mother Lode! but a few missing documents

Post by Steverino3006 »

Thanks for this forum! I have been reading about getting my Italian Citizenship documented, and thinking about the digging for documents I would need. Then I went to my dad's and found almost all I need! naturalization papers, marriage certificates, etc. A couple items are missing:

Grand parents birth certificates from Italy. Will some Italian Army documents pertaining to my grandfather suffice? It shows name, location, birth year, which all match subsequent documents.

My grandmother's death certificate. Is this a must?
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I hit the Mother Lode! but a few missing documents

Post by Steverino3006 »

All Certificates: must be new “CERTIFED COPIESâ€
mler
Master
Master

Re: I hit the Mother Lode! but a few missing documents

Post by mler »

The documents from Italy can be original documents, but your original documents from the U.S. will not work. Even if they are in long form, they are too old to be apostilled, so you will have to order certified copies in long form from the Vital Statistics office. They then have to go the the state for apostille. The naturalization certificate, however, does not need an apostille, so the original is just fine.

You will need the Italian birth certificate.

The good news is you have all the dates and locations, which will simplify the process a bit.