Transcription help needed

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Firinne

Transcription help needed

Post by Firinne »

I'm trying to figure out what the address on the first line says. I know the city is Palermo but am unsure of the rest. This is from an old ship manifest.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Transcription help needed

Post by JohnArmellino »

Piazza Marmi - Vicolo Godrano 19 - Palermo

Maybe?
John Armellino
Firinne

Post by Firinne »

Thanks John - that's definitely possible! I can't seem to find Piazza Marmi in Palermo but that's not to say it wasn't there in 1911. I found some other similar Piazza's - your suggestion has gotten me on track.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Godrano is a comune in the Province of Palermo , located about 25 miles south of Palermo.

Maybe?
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Piazza Marina, 90133 Palermo, Sicily

Maybe?!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I can't seem to find Piazza Marmi in Palermo but that's not to say it wasn't there in 1911.

If you google Piazza Marmi, you'll get several returns for that address. In particular, there seems to be a couple of medical or pharmaceutical supply firms at that location. However, when I googled Vicolo Godrano I didn't get any returns. Perhaps you might find other references to that address in the records. BTW, the "19" might very well be a "15".
John Armellino
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Firinne,
Piazza marmi was renamed Piazza Vittorio Emanuele Orlando after the building of courthouse of Palermo (1938). Piazza Marmi was delimited by Via Nicolo' Turrisi and Via Giovan Battista Pagano (see the image attached). It was a big square but after the building of Corthouse was reduced and renamed.

gretings from Palermo.

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).