exciting - another letter from Candelo!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
LKate
Rookie
Rookie

exciting - another letter from Candelo!

Post by LKate »

For those of you following my story: the woman in the newspaper article (her picture is displayed in the article), Elena, has written me. I received her letter today. Would someone please translate for me? It seems that she says something about the packages that my grandmother used to send to Italy.

(I purposely deleted the e-mail address in the letter):

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x172 ... 720094.jpg

Elena enclosed something very special with her letter. Pierina, my great-grandmother, had written to Elena's father (Pierina's brother), and announced my little brother's birth in 1970. The letter was written just 2 days after his birth. He was her first great-grandson. The letter and envelope are in pristine condition and it's hard to believe they are nearly 39 years old. I'm more than touched. Though it's hard for my grandma to read Italian these days, I'm going to see if she can translate it for me; how wonderful for her, seeing her mother's writing again after all these years.

As always, thanks for your help.

Laura
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: exciting - another letter from Candelo!

Post by elba »

LKate wrote:For those of you following my story: the woman in the newspaper article (her picture is displayed in the article), Elena, has written me. I received her letter today. Would someone please translate for me? It seems that she says something about the packages that my grandmother used to send to Italy.

(I purposely deleted the e-mail address in the letter):

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x172 ... 720094.jpg

Elena enclosed something very special with her letter. Pierina, my great-grandmother, had written to Elena's father (Pierina's brother), and announced my little brother's birth in 1970. The letter was written just 2 days after his birth. He was her first great-grandson. The letter and envelope are in pristine condition and it's hard to believe they are nearly 39 years old. I'm more than touched. Though it's hard for my grandma to read Italian these days, I'm going to see if she can translate it for me; how wonderful for her, seeing her mother's writing again after all these years.

As always, thanks for your help.

Laura

Translation:
Dear Laura,
I have your letter by way of my neighbour and I must tell you that it made me very happy. My name is Elena and I am the daughter of Ameris who, in turn is the daughter of Ferdinando (Pierino's brother). I also have a sister, Maria Rosa.

Aunt Pierina, as we called her, when she was still alive never failed to give us the news and I still remember the joy it was to receive the "parcels from America" with all the new and different things from those that we had.

But who's daughter are you Laura? I know that Ellen had two sons and a daughter, and Ellen should be about my age.I know she was married in 77 to Dave because my aunt sent me the photo. You should know that I have an album with all the photos of the American aunt.

Your letters made the news in Candelobecause it seemed such a nice thing to do and they published an article in the local paper. I will send it to you and I have attached a letter from my aunt. I still have a few more.

I hope to hear from you soon and if you want to contact me via e-mail, my address is

Many affectionate wishes also from Maria Rosa

They do sound very nice....
elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
LKate
Rookie
Rookie

Re: exciting - another letter from Candelo!

Post by LKate »

Mille grazie, Elba. Reading the letters from all of these nice people, I wish I had sought my relatives years ago.

Laura