Searching for Catanoso relatives from the Reggio. Calabrai

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
palr

Searching for Catanoso relatives from the Reggio. Calabrai

Post by palr »

Hi to All,

I am searching for relatives of my grandfather Carmelo Catanoso who was born in Chorio, Reggio Calabria in November 1887. He emigrated to the United States. I understand that he had 7 brothers and sisters. One brother was named Guiseppe (Joseph) and on esister was named Marietta (Mary). Carmelo Catanos is a first cousin of Gaetano Catanoso. If anyone has any knowledge of the family history or believes that there is a connection, please respond.
Is there any public recordkeeping agency or the church that can give any information?

Best Regards,

PALR
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Catanoso relatives from the Reggio. Calabr

Post by ptimber »

You can either go to the family history library of the Mormoln church nearest your home for the civil recors of births,marriages and deaths as well as family composition by renting for a nominal fee the microfilm of Chorio. The dates they have go tfrom 1809 to 1865. Documentsd and records after 1865 can be obyained by writing to the Ufficio Di Stato Civile in Chorio in Italian. Just let us know what you want to do in this regard. Further you may wish to review the www.ellisisland.org records of your family coming to America at this website for other data as to ship,dates,destinatyion,occupation etc. There are no poersons currently in Chorio with the Catanoso surname but there are 36 listings for Catanoso in the province of Reggio Calabria so go to www.paginebiuanche.it and insert CATANOSO in the first line and RC in the third line and click CERCA and all 36 listings will show up. Some are businesses and some are churches but others are people who may be relatives. Peter
palr

Post by palr »

ptimber,

Thanks for the reply. Can you check the web site name you referenced in your response. Each time I try to log, I get an error message that the site does not exist?

I already have the info from Ellis Island site. I'll try writing to the Ufficio Di Stato Civile in Chorio in Italian. Do you have an address?

Palr
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sorry for the typo. It is www.paginebianche.it and the address for the document in Chorio is UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE< Comune di Chorio, Postale 89060, Provincia Reggio Calabria, Calabria, Italy and you might want to enclose a self addressed envelope with a few dollars. Send iun your request in itralian (form letters are at www.cirocolocalabrese.org). Peter
lino

Post by lino »

Hi PALR,
my name is Carmelo Catanoso and I'm 45 years old. I live in a little town near Milano (Italy) but I was born in Reggio Calabria. My grandfather was born in Chorio (1898) and his name was Carmelo Catanoso. My great-grandfather lived in Chorio and his name was Gaetano Catanoso. Now, two "Carmelo Catanoso" live in Italy: my first cousin in Reggio Calabria and I. There was another "Carmelo Catanoso" who lived in Italy in the past century (this cousin was an Italian Army high officer who took part in the second world war). My aunt (75 years old) remember that his father spoke as regards some of his close relatives who emigrated in United States. Therefore, I think that your grandfather was a cousin (first cousin???) because the first name "Carmelo" is a typical name of Catanoso family that lived in Chorio in the past century.
Best regards.
Carmelo Catanoso
ladysirio

Post by ladysirio »

Hi,
my name is Barbara Russo (43 years old)from Genova (Italy). My great-grandmother named Rosaria Catanoso was a cousin of Saint Gaetano . (If i don’t wrong Gaetano’s father, Antonio, was the brother of her father named Pietro. He was a Lawyer.)
Carmelo Catanoso the Italian Army high officer who took part in the second world war was her brother. If you are interested you can ask me some information about my cousins Catanoso that had lived and live in Genova.
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

I happen to be working on the Chorio Civil State 1809-1865 right now. The index of deaths is already online on my website http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/fontigenealogiche.htm
I am now working on de marriages of that period, which is a patient job because I include the processetti matrimoniali. I hope to finish them in 3 or 4 weeks though.
Do not hope for any church registers before 1809 because there aren't.
A famous saint named Gaetano Catanoso was also from Chorio.
N.B. Chorio was a "sottocommune" di San Lorenzo.