Can someone point me in the right direction in Sicily?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Karenmurphy

Can someone point me in the right direction in Sicily?

Post by Karenmurphy »

My grandfather was born in Castelluzzo, Trapani, Sicilia. According to the 1907 passenger list when he left from Palermo for the US, his last permanent address was M S Giuseppe and that he was born in Mt S Giuliano. At first I thought maybe records were kept in Mt. S Giuliano, but no, they were kept in the Town Hall of San Vito Lo Capo. I'm getting confused. Where is M S Giuseppe? And how is Mt. S Giuliano related to Castelluzzo?
Sorry for such silly questions. I feel like I should be able to figure this out by myself, but I think I need some help..... again.
Grazie!
Karen
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Can someone point me in the right direction in Sicily?

Post by nazca »

Hi Karen
monte san giuliano was the ancient name of Erice and other little town(Valderice, Custonaci, Buseto Palizzolo, San Vito Lo Capo and suburbs like Casa Santa, Roccaforte, Rigaletta, Tangi, Ballata, Napola, Pizzolungo, ecc.) . After second world war San Giuliano become Erice and the other town was divided from Erice . now San vito , valderice custonaci are "comune" take a look in Wikipedia for a little history of Erice
or click here http://www.seepalermo.com/erice.htm

have a nice day

Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Karenmurphy

Post by Karenmurphy »

Hi, Vincenzo.

I think you are saying M S Giuliano is now called Erice,
and M S Giuseppe, Castelluzzo, and San Vito Lo Capo are communes around San Vito - something like townships around cities in the US. Do you know were M S Giuseppe was located before the war?
I'm just trying to figure out why the 1907's ship's log says he was born in M S Guiliano and last permanent address was in M S Giuseppe but his immigration papers say he was born in Castelluzzo which I think would also be his last permanent address.
Sorry for my confusion!
Grazie,
Karen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Karen go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in 91010 for all the towns in that zip code. A "frazione" is either an absorbed hamelt overtaken by an expanding town or a neighborhood that once was a hamlet of few houses.

Castelluzzo as you will see is a frazione of another town in that same location..The other town is the actual comune(town) where all BMD documents are located and where you can write to for said BMD documents.

Not to overlookthe obvious, you can click on the actual town on that screen and a website will show up and where you can scroll down to Municipio for the address to obtain said documents. You have to write in Italian and form leters are located at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~
Karenmurphy

Post by Karenmurphy »

Thanks, Peter, I appreciate your clarification. Your definition of a frazione helps. Could M S Giuseppe be found on an older map maybe?
Grazie.
Karen
PS: I'm going to be spending a lot of time on angelfire.com. Great site! Thanks again
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Karen,
i can't find a town named M.S. Giuseppe but i found two "frazione" san giuseppe in trapani province :
this is the first http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/sicili ... osino.html

and this the second :
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/sicilia/vita.html

there is a google map in each one

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Karenmurphy

Post by Karenmurphy »

Thank you nazca. I couldn't find one either. I suppose the two you found are possibilites, but I still think the passenger's list was wrong and it should have been Mt. San Giuliano instead.
I liked the web site you referred me to. It is interesting to note the 5 most common names in some of the cities.
Thanks again!

Karen
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Karen,
only one note: i spend last week end in S. Vito lo Capo one of the most beatiful beach in Sicily. Along the road i saw Castelluzzo and i thought to your topic. One day i hope, you'll see this land..

have a nice day
Karenmurphy

Post by Karenmurphy »

Nazca, you are pulling my heart strings! It is my dream to someday visit the home where my grandfather grew up. Even the aerial views of the cities are beautiful! Palermo looks wonderful, too, but I love the smaller towns, and the history and the people and, oh my... thank you so much for your little note. My father never made it there, but maybe someday I will be able to travel that far.
Sincerely,
Karen