WW2 Green line on passports

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

WW2 Green line on passports

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi There,

During WW2 I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that British and or US military who were looking after Trieste at the time put a green stripe/line on Italian passports. I understand from the little I've been told that this was done to restrict working conditions. Can anyone confirm this or provide me with more info on what this might have entailed.

Thank you
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: WW2 Green line on passports

Post by PeterTimber »

If someone is not in the know about this matter you can go to www.google.com and research this matter with whatever titles closely appproximate your question such as WW11 Tireste Greenline on Italian doxcuments...or someother variation. It would be nice knowing about this piece of history so we are looking for your input. =Peter=
~Peter~
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi PeterTimber,

I have tried to google this but haven't succeeded. Will keep at it and let you know of the outcome. My grandfather was only young and at the time you did what you were told so didn't ask too many questions. He was restricted with how many hours he could work a day and in particular jobs. Just wanted to know why this was the case if he was an Italian.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The green line was a term used for classification of people during the immediate after ww11 period in Trieste beyond passports but I would have to sit down and research this and I really donot have the time at this point in time. Perhaps one of our colleagues here can do the research for allof us. =Peter=
~Peter~