Rocchi or Zito

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Rocchi or Zito

Post by Drew927 »

We are looking for anyone related to a Laura Rocchi born about 1910 and a Angelina Zito who may be related to Laura Rocchi. In 1933 they baptised Laura's daughter Angelina Mary Rocchi.... She was given up for adoption in 1934.... in Brooklyn NY. We are trying to find my mothers biological mother and family. Our Mother (Angelina Rocchi Balassi) is 75 yrs old... she is financialy secure, she is just looking to find her relatives as closure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Rocchi or Zito

Post by pink67 »

Hi Drew :D

Do you believe that Laura Rocchi was born in NYC? I presume that you have a baptism certificate for Angelina... does it states an address for Laura?
If Laura was born in NYC on 1910 and if she was not married at the time of Angelina's birth there must be at least two censuses for her (1920 and 1930) living with her family...
Do you know the birth year for Angelina Zito?

Laura
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Laura I came across an Angelina Aurora Rocchi born 1913 who obtained her social security card in NJ but died in 2007 in Pie, New mexico. There is no other Angelina Rocchi listed save for 1 person,same name, who lives in Brooklyn, NY and could be a relative of Angelina Rocchi but she is presently 42 years of age and there are no other identifiers. Just thought you would like this perspective. =Peter=
~Peter~
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Thank you Laura and Peter for your replies and research.... Yes, we do have a baptism certificate for my mom Anglelina Mary Rocchi...Laura Rocchi's name is listed as mother with no address and Anglelina Zito is listed as the GodMother.... That's all we have along with her original birth certificate listing Laura Rocchi as mother. When my mother was adopted her name & birth certificate was changed to Angelina Mary Balassi. As for Laura Aurora Rocchi born 1913 its quite possible that that is her. However, we have a paper from catholic charities stating that birth mother was 23 at the time she gave up my mother... which would make her birth year 1910. Again... thank you for your time contribution to our search!!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is it possible that she needed to be over 21 to give up her child for adoption without parental or other legal guardian signatures??

What does the child's original birth certificate say about the mothers birthdate or age? =Peter=
~Peter~
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Peter,

Thank's again, Im still trying to obtain the original birth certificate for my mom. She only has the updated one with her adopted name.
lizfarrell2

Post by lizfarrell2 »

A Laura Rocchi married a Frank Russo in Manhattan on March 16, 1936 (certificate # 8164). Another Laura Rocchi married a Carmine DeFazio in Staten Island on January 28, 1930 (cert. # 63). I mention this because it may be your grandmother, and then you would have additional family names to search under, both here and on GenForum. I will keep looking for you.

I believe your mother was adopted by Victor and Anna Balassi. My grandfather was George Balassi.

Best of luck witn your search. I will try and find additional information for you.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Thank you very much for that information. They are new names to help us in our search. My mother was adopted by Victor and Anna Balassi. My Mom remembers Uncle George. We appreciate your help.
lizfarrell2

Post by lizfarrell2 »

I think I remember playing with you guys when we were little. My mom was Dorothy. Once, when I had jury duty, I went to the Surrogate's Court at lunch and looked up my family names. There was an administrative record for your mom (4221-1943 was the file number), but it was not available. I suppose that was related to the adoption.

If you are in the New York area, you should visit the Municipal Archives. Looking at the marriage licenses will determine if either Laura Rocchi was born in 1910, and it will give you her parents names (if it is her) and you will then have more information. You can then search the social security death indexes to find out where people are, or where they moved. If your grandmother married and had other children, they may not be aware your mother was born.

My mom always spoke fondly of your mother. I hope there was never a falling out. But, either way, if you are not still in New York area, please let me know. I would be happy to look that stuff up for you. Again, best of luck, Liz
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Liz,
It was great to hear from you. I saw Mom for Mothers Day and shared with her the new info. She was very excited about the new leads. We still live in New York and there was never a falling out.
Was the Surrogate court in Brooklyn or Manhatten? My sister and I recently did some research at the Archives on Chambers St. but had no luck. These new names however might work.
If you like, my e-mail is drew927@optonline.net. It might be a little easier to communicate.

Andrew