Sicilian dialect

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mystictyger18
Rookie
Rookie

Sicilian dialect

Post by mystictyger18 »

my Italian family that lives in the states speaks sicilian dialect...not regular Italian...this summer we went to the Aeolian Islands and my dad spoke to the family (we had never met them) in dialect...but that was sort of made fun of...is this dialect getting outdated? is there anywhere Id be able to learn it? I only know a little...I understand a lot...but I cant speak it and I know I wouldnt be able to read it...Id love to be able to though...thank you to anyone who can help me
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian dialect

Post by ptimber »

Sicilian is a language with its own grammar and actually was a model for Toscana which is todays Italian language. I am sure if you hit the internet and check out for Sicilian grammar books or contact the University of Palermo in Italy and ask them wehere you can obtain a grammar book for the Sicilian language. Peter
OmertaSiciliana

Post by OmertaSiciliana »

I'm currently short on cash or else I would have ordered it, but, if you go to www.amazon.com and type in Sicilian language, there are several books which look like they could be a big help. Good luck! Let me know if you find anything worthy. I'd love to learn the language. :wink:
OmertaSiciliana

mystictyger18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mystictyger18 »

thank you both...I know a bit of spanish already from school and family from uraguay...and I really wanted to take a local course in Italian....which will hopefully help me...I would definitely like to buy a book on the sicilian language though when I get a chance...I need to do some research first though to see which look best and easiest to understand...if I find a good one Ill let you know
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

learn italian first and fluently and then Sicilian because the grammar will be close and the transition will be easy substituting volabulkary and nothing else since you will know the grammar. Peter
mystictyger18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mystictyger18 »

thats what I figured...being fluent in Italian will be beneficial to me anyway if I plan on going back to Italy for whatever reason...also I know some Sicilian vocabulary already...just words Ive known my whole life because my grandparents speak the me half in sicilian half in english...and I cant differenciate which words are strictly sicilian and which are Italian...Id like to be more sure of myself...and Id really like to be able to speak it...I know its hard learning once your past 5 of 6 probably...but Id really like to try...my aunt speaks 5 languages..thats something I wish I could do
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If they can teach an elephant to dance you can learn Italian,sicilian and Martian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Peter
OmertaSiciliana

I speak fluent Spanish and I want to learn Italian and Sicilian. I tried to learn Italian but it didn't work out so well. I just started studying Sicilian and to me it seems easier, maybe because I've studied Latin in school. Do you have any advice that could help make my studying easier?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Memorize memorize the grammar, the verbs and the tenses. if not go to Sicily and live in a p[lace where they still speak dialect. Peter
mystictyger18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mystictyger18 »

yeah thanks...I will try to...as I said Id really like to learn...I would go back to sicily...Id like to know how to speak Italian a bit before I went there though...itd be tough not knowing anything....do you know if the university of palermo is a good school? or if there are any other good colleges on sicily?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am sure there are schools that teach Sicilian. Have you tried the internet or www.google.com? peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There arer 17,400 pages relating to learning Sicilian schools. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Using that tile LEARNING SICILIAN SCHOOLS gives you a school on the first listing!!! Peter
OmertaSiciliana

Thanks again Peter, you seem to know just about everything!!
If I had the money, I'd probably LIVE in Sicily, but I don't. Either way, this language isn't that hard at all, now that I look at it.
To anyone else who's trying to learn Sicilian - good luck, and it's pretty easy!