Scalia and Cascio Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Atte

Scalia and Cascio Family

Post by Atte »

Looking for information on Carmelo Scalia b. 1861 Italy d. 1951 Louisiana, USA and spouse Josephine Busciano b. 1870 Italy d. 1951 Louisiana, USA. Antonio Scalia b. 1888 Italy d. 1952 California, USA and spouse Atte "Katie" Cascio b. 1897 Italy d. 1976 California, USA.

Thanks
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Scalia and Cascio Family

Post by wldspirit »

Not sure if you are interested in US records or Italian records??

1910 census as follows, 1930 census shows them living in Tangipahoa
as well.

1910 United States Federal Census

Name: Carmella Scalia
[Carmelo Scalia]
Age in 1910: 50
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head-of-house: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Josephine
Home in 1910: Police Jury Ward 6, Tangipahoa, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1890

Household Members:
Name Age
Carmella Scalia 50
Josephine Scalia 40
Tom Scalia 21
Josephine Scalia 19
Rosa Scalia 12

Have you identified the town of origin in Italy?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

The Louisiana Death index includes this information:
Carmello Scalia died 15 July 1951, age 90 (1951, vol 9 pg 441) Tangipahoa Parish.
Josephine Scalia died 15 Nov 1951, age 81 (1951 vol 14 pg 910)
Tangipahoa Parish.
You can order copies of their death certicates from the State Archives.
Atte

Post by Atte »

Thank you both for the information.

The Scalia family from the 1910 census you listed, immigrated in 1909 from the port of Genova, Italy. They sailed on the Duca di Genova to New York. I was looking for information on their first trip to the USA in about 1896. They left the USA after 1906 and returned to Alia, Sicily, Italy. I think the town of Alia was probably their residence before the first trip also.

I can't find anything on them in 1920. Then I found them on the 1930 census.

Does anyone have information on the Italian name Atte. It was my grandmother's given name, but she quickly started using Katie instead. I don't know if she was born in Italy or the USA, but she was born about 1897. Her parents were Filippo Cascio b. 1867 Italy d. 1935 Illinois, and Lucio "Lucy" Accardo b. 1877 Italy d. 1947 Louisiana
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

sazzylynn.....haven't you done extensive research for the town of ALIA??
Lee

Atte

Post by Atte »

No. I just recently found a website with general information on Alia. I don't know what direction to take from there. It's all pretty much in Italian. I would be glad to get suggestions as to what to do next. I'm sorry I am in the dark about getting research done in Italy.

The only words I know in Italian are to the song "Are you sleeping, Brother John?"
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Alia is located in the Palermo province, which is in the Sicily region.
You can send for records using the following interactive form:

Stato Civile

Member Sazzylynn who also responded to this post has done research in Alia,
and may be able to provide you with additional information.

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is also the option of microfilm, which can be rented and viewed at a local Lds center.

Alia

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

Key words used in the microfilm can be found Here.

To locate a center near you, click Here.

Also very helpful is the book "Italian Genealogical Records" by Trafford R. Cole. Amazing book!! Fast, easy read and thoroughly explains Italian research.

A great companion book for the microfilm is "Discovering your Italian Ancestors" by Lynn Nelson. For a review click Here..

wldspirit

Atte

Post by Atte »

Your ability to navigate Italian genealogy is wonderful.

I appreciate the directional information.

Thank you
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

I checked the Baton Rouge Diocese Catholic Church records for the years 1895-1900.
I find 2 other children for Filippo Cascio and Lucia Accardo:
Salvatore born 18 Feb 1900 at Lutcher, La and
Sylvestre born 26 Dec 1898 baptised at St Michael's in Convent, LA.
No records for Atte or Katie or any other children for this couple.
Atte

Post by Atte »

Thank you for the information.

The information on these two children makes some sense. The Salvatore b. 18 Feb 1900 at Lutcher, LA became Sam Cascio. I have some information on him. The Sylvestre Cascio b. 26 Dec 1898, I knew nothing about. They did have a son names Sylvester Cascio b. 06 Jan 1907. I have some information on him also.

I was always told that Atte "Katie" Cascio was born in Louisiana in 1897. She did not have a birth certificate and I have not found a baptism. Then I found her mother, Lucia Accardo on a ships manifest for 04 May 1896 to New Orleans, LA. I found Lucia Accardo and a child Antonina Cascio b. 1889 Italy. I did not know about this child either. I found a Filippo Cascio as a passenger from Italy to New Orleans in Oct 1898. Apparently he was alone.

It's really Atte "Katie" Cascio that I am concentrating on. She's my grandmother, and I have little information on her, and don't know if it's correct. I requested a certificate and record on her marriage from the BR diocese a month ago, but have not received it.
smoxley

Post by smoxley »

the police jury ward 6 is missing from the 1920 census carmelo and josephine are my great grandparents. their daughter rosa was my grandmother.
stephaniemarie28

Post by stephaniemarie28 »

Atte wrote:Thank you for the information.

The information on these two children makes some sense. The Salvatore b. 18 Feb 1900 at Lutcher, LA became Sam Cascio. I have some information on him. The Sylvestre Cascio b. 26 Dec 1898, I knew nothing about. They did have a son names Sylvester Cascio b. 06 Jan 1907. I have some information on him also.

I was always told that Atte "Katie" Cascio was born in Louisiana in 1897. She did not have a birth certificate and I have not found a baptism. Then I found her mother, Lucia Accardo on a ships manifest for 04 May 1896 to New Orleans, LA. I found Lucia Accardo and a child Antonina Cascio b. 1889 Italy. I did not know about this child either. I found a Filippo Cascio as a passenger from Italy to New Orleans in Oct 1898. Apparently he was alone.

It's really Atte "Katie" Cascio that I am concentrating on. She's my grandmother, and I have little information on her, and don't know if it's correct. I requested a certificate and record on her marriage from the BR diocese a month ago, but have not received it.
Katie was my great great grandmother. I have some pictures of her. You have helped fill in some blanks for me reading through the thread.