Italian maiden names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chazmo

Italian maiden names

Post by chazmo »

Can anyone tell me why my grandmother was listed under her maiden name on the ships passenger list? Also, my father came to the states when he was 5 years old in 1936. The passenger list shows him as a US citizen but my grandparents were both Italian citizens as well as his 13 year old brother. How did my father qualify as a US citizen?
vj
Master
Master

Re: Italian maiden names

Post by vj »

chazmo wrote:Can anyone tell me why my grandmother was listed under her maiden name on the ships passenger list? Also, my father came to the states when he was 5 years old in 1936. The passenger list shows him as a US citizen but my grandparents were both Italian citizens as well as his 13 year old brother. How did my father qualify as a US citizen?
In Italy women keep their father's surname.
Your grandmother would only have taken her husband's surname after she arrived in the US.

According to the manifest, your father qualified "U.S. by Father's"
probably because his father was a naturalized citizen.

Valarie
chazmo

Post by chazmo »

Thank you for the information. I don't know when my grandfather came to the United States but his name was Michele De Santis - born Jan. 6, 1898 and was from Castelbottaccio. Why would my father be a US citizen but not his 13 year old brother? Was there an age limitation? Also, do you know where I can search when my grandfather may have been naturalized? In 1936, he was living in Bessemer, Lawrence County, PA
Thanks again for any help
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

chazmo wrote:Why would my father be a US citizen but not his 13 year old brother?
A logical guess on my part. Your grandfather was a citizen at the time of your father's birth but not at the time of his brother Matteo's birth.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello
We'll be happy to look for your grandfather's ship manifest(s).
His naturalization may be on footnote. com (subscription)
Your father may have been born after his father naturalized?
Valarie

(Hi Biff :D !)

possible 1930 manifest
US Citizen living in Hillsville (Lawrence County) PA
chazmo

Post by chazmo »

Thanks again for all the help. I will check footnote.com
chazmo

Post by chazmo »

Valarie,
Thank you so much. The 1930 manifest is my grandfather and I actually grew up in Hillsville. This would have been a return visit to the US since it states he was naturalized in 1929 at Washington D.C. Would it be possible to find his first visit ships manifest. From what I have found, there was a 5 year residency requirement to be naturalized. That would put his original arrival around 1924. Again, thank you.
Chuck