Affidavit translation question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Affidavit translation question

Post by jwazevedo »

i am preparing to apply for recognition of Italian citizenship. Because of a name discrepancy on my mother's birth certificate, the consulate has suggested that I write an affidavit explaining that the person named on the birth certificate is the same as the person of a slightly different name on the other certificates (marriage, death). I've written a so-called "one and the same person" affidavit of the type used here in Canada, and I'm translating it into Italian. I want this document to look and read "official", with the correct legal language that the comuni see every day. The consulate's note to me was in Italian, and they used the word "autocertificazione" for affidavit. I've researched the laws on autocertificazione, and it seems that the actual title of the document is "dichiarazione" ("Dichiarazione sostitutiva della certificazione di ..."). This is a long preamble but my question is simple: What is the best word to use as the title of my translated affidavit - Autocertificazione or Dichiarazione?

Thank you,
Jerry
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Affidavit translation question

Post by liviomoreno »

The official term is Dichiarazione sostitutiva di certificazione

The document must be written as follows:

[align=center]DICHIARAZIONE SOSTITUTIVA DI CERTIFICAZIONE
(Art. 46 D.P.R. 28 dicembre 2000, n. 445)[/align]

Il sottoscritto Surname Name

nato a Birth place il birth date (day month year)

residente a full address

consapevole delle sanzioni penali, nel caso di dichiarazioni non veritiere e falsità negli atti, richiamate
dall’art. 76 D.P.R. 445 del 28/12/2000
[align=center]DICHIARA[/align]

che la persona identificata come XXXX nbel certificato XXXXX e la persona indicata come YYYY sono la stessa persona

Put the date here

Dichiaro, altresì, di essere informato, ai sensi e per gli effetti di cui all'art. 13 del D.Lgs. 196/2003 che i
dati personali raccolti saranno trattati, anche con strumenti informatici, esclusivamente nell'ambito del
procedimento per il quale la presente dichiarazione viene resa.
[align=right]IL DICHIARANTE
___Signature____[/align]
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Affidavit translation question

Post by jwazevedo »

Thank you, Livio. I see that you've taken an innovative approach. Whereas I was writing an affidavit in English to be notarized in Canada and then translated, you are suggesting I skip the affidavit and write an autocertificazione directly. This is very interesting. My one question is whether a foreigner can legally make an Italian autocertificazione. (Of course, if the comune accepts my documents, I will not be a "foreigner" for long!)

Grazie mille,
Jerry