Ship manifest Vulcania July 1949

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
drnmoving

Ship manifest Vulcania July 1949

Post by drnmoving »

Greetings!
I am helping my mother-in-law research her family's immigration to Canada. She was 3 months old when her family left Italy for Canada. Her parents have both passed. She would like to know if any other family members other than her mother and sisters/brother were on the boat with them. I can't seem to find manifests online for this time frame (privacy act?) They came in at Pier 21 in Canada...July 17th I think. Ruffolo.
I would like to work on her family tree as well...
Thanks in advance for your help!
Jacqui
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Ship manifest Vulcania July 1949

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jackqui and welcome to the forum.

You'll have to supply some additional information in order for forum members to help out. What is your mother-inl-laws full name (maiden) and full names of her parents and siblings? Also, if you can give approximate birth years that would help too.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well, I don't have the exactly manifests but I do have copies of the trip the Vulcania made for several years which I can post for you. I have put the Saturnia voyages online already (my mom came on that ship in 1961).

here's the link..

http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy. ... yages.html

Now, you can get a copy of the ship manifest. She will have to ask for the manifest and the last I checked, because she is living, its $5.00 under the Freedom of Information act.

Give me a bit to dig up the info..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Jacqui,

What year did she arrive in? I have the Vulcania trip voyages form 1928-1971.

3859 Italian Line New York, Halifax,-Gibraltar, Naples, Genoa July 17 1949 362 passengers aboard.

This site should be able to answer some of your questions and should provide you an address to write to..

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/faq.asp

I would always check out the website at:

http://www.pier21.ca

I need to find the form that I used to apply for my mom's info. I never mailed it out but you have me interested again..Let me know if you need any help, ok?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
drnmoving

Post by drnmoving »

Thank you both so much - you are a wonderful resouce.

siblings:
Gina (possibly GiGina?) Ruffolo dob Mar 1, 1949
Maria Carmelinda Ruffolo Jul 15, 1938
Anthony Sarafino Ruffolo Jun 11, 1940
Ilda Ruffolo May 15, 1947

mother:
Teresa (Fata) Ruffolo Oct 21, 1919

father: (came prior - date and ship unknown)
Carmine Ruffolo Mar 14, 1914

maternal uncle & wife:
Carmine Fata Mar 14 or Apr 1 1923
Teresa Fata

I will definately work on obtaining a ship manifest from the Canadian gov site as you recommended.

Curiously, what family tree software do you recommend?

Thanks again,

Jacqui
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Jacqui,

There are so many out there..some free, some aren't. Its a matter of preference. I use Family Tree Maker which is fairly simple to use and it suits my needs. I don't really need it to do anything fancy.

There is also one available to download for free from the www.familysearch.org site. You can upgrade it for something like $7.oo.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
rompascatole

Post by rompascatole »

nuccia wrote:Well, I don't have the exactly manifests but I do have copies of the trip the Vulcania made for several years which I can post for you. I have put the Saturnia voyages online already (my mom came on that ship in 1961).

here's the link..

http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy. ... yages.html

Now, you can get a copy of the ship manifest. She will have to ask for the manifest and the last I checked, because she is living, its $5.00 under the Freedom of Information act.

Give me a bit to dig up the info..
Hello Nuccia,

I saw this post via a Google search. I managed to get the ship manifest for the Vulcania when my dad arrived in Halifax in April 08, 1957, but I'm trying to retrace the voyage itself with the actual dates and times between ports.

You mention having copies of the trip the Vulcania made for several years. Would you be able to share them with me?

Even if you don't have the exact voyage, anything from 1956 onwards should be fine because the Vulcania was repeating the same trip over those years.

thanks,

Mauro
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Mauro..

Interesting username.. ;)

They actually have all the voyages online now on the www.pier21.ca site on the ship arrival database link

Would you mind posting the ship manifest for your dad? I would love to see it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
rompascatole

Post by rompascatole »

Yeah, most people don't get the username until they say it once or twice.

Thanks for the Pier 21 Link. I found my dad's ship:
ID 5659
Ship Vulcania
Ports New York, Boston, Halifax-Lisbon, Casablanca, Gibraltar, Barcelona, Cannes, Genoa, Palermo, Naples, Patras, Venice, Trieste

But it doesn't contain the dates of the actual stops along the trip. Also, this is showing the onward journey for the Vulcania, not the ports it came from (The Vulcania's route out was slightly different than on the way back during that time).

Do you know of any links which would show actual dates of ship departures and port of calls?

My dad continued on to NY before taking a train to Toronto from there. I don't have the entire manifest, but a JPG of the page with my dad's name on it. I've attached it below.

Thanks again for your help,

Mauro

Ooops. I keep getting an error stating that it can't upload the file, even though I made sure it's under 256 meg size limit. Sorry
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Mauro I am not aware of any such site. Maybe the people at Pier 21 can help? I was under the impression that the routes were the same both ways but I don't have any confirmation on that.

I gogled the ship and found a few interesting hits but I haven't read through them yet. (cooking dinner)

You may want to look at google..

Oh, and this site looks promising..maybe it can help?

As for your Dad's jpg..maybe you could email it to me? The email addy is nuccia.salvati @ gmail.com (no spaces).

And..I also live in Toronto. ;)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
quags

Post by quags »

Hi Mauro and Nuccia,

I just came across this posting after doing a Google search. My father came to Canada aboard the Vulcania and arrived at Pier 21 in Halifax on April 8, 1957. I'm trying to locate the ship manifest but without success. Can you provide further assistance on how to obtain the list? My father is turning 70 and would like to surprise him with a copy of the manifest for his birthday.

Any information would be appreciated!

Quags