Port of Naples Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mromano

Port of Naples Records

Post by mromano »

Does Italy have public records for departing passenger manifests for the Port of Naples? I know Ellis Island has public records for arriving ship manifests, and from the Ellis Island records I have learned what towns in Italy my ancestors were from, and where in the U.S. my ancestors were going to. But I have heard that the departing passenger lists from the Port of Naples should tell me more details (such as a street address of their home) about where they were from in Italy. I'm planning a trip to Italy and I would love to see if the original homes still exist!

Where can I find departing passenger manifests for the Port of Naples? Thank you very much for your help!!! =)
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Port of Naples Records

Post by Squigy »

Is this what you're looking for :?:
http://www.porto.napoli.it/en/
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Italy does not have a public records database similar to Ellis Island....
there are a few databases available for departures:

Radici

You can also see a list of databases listed here under immigration.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
mromano

Post by mromano »

@Squigy: I'm looking for passenger records for the Port of Naples, similar to what is offered in the Ellis Island database. The Ellis Island records state what address my ancestors were going to in the US, but I want the Naples records to find out what address they were coming from in Italy. Thanks though!

@wldspirit: Thanks for the links! I checked the two sites and they did not seem to have what I'm looking for.

Do you know if there is a historical society in Italy that I can contact to find the departing passenger manifests? Did the Port of Naples save these documents? I have searched for resources but I can't find anything =(
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If the goal is to ascertain the home in which your ancestor lived, this can be done by sending for, or requesting in person, an extract of the birth record.
Called an estratto per riassunta dell'atto di nascita.

It indicates additional information not included on a birth record/certificate,
the family's place of residence, usually including a full address.

If this is something you would be interested in obtaining let us know!!
wldspirit

mromano

Post by mromano »

Next month I'm going to the village comune in Italy that my ancestors are from to get birth and marriage certificates and explore the village. Is the "estratto per riassunta dell'atto di nascita" archived in the local comune as well? Thank you very much for the information, it is so helpful! =) I wasn't aware that this type of document existed!

In addition to these 3 types of documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, extract of birth record), are there other types of documents in Italian comunes that are useful for genealogy research?

Thanks again!!
drewser
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drewser »

hi
Is the extract of birth record different than the "Extract of register of birth" I recieved mine from avella, and only names on it, no other info.
Thanks
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaurizioPerrone »

To mromano: You are a little confused. You would request the "estratto" from the comune if you are writing to them, for example. The "estratto" is a complete extract of the information on the original record (this is the document that includes the parents' names, which are often omitted on the shorter "certification"). The estratto is typed or written by the official at the comune on a specific form used for that purpose.

When visiting the comune in person, you will very likely be viewing the original document. The official at the comune will either make a photocopy of the original record, or prepare an "estratto" for you. Some of the officials are more helpful than others, some allow you to freely go through the records at your own leisure while others will require you to tell them what you are looking for, and they will find it and prepare the estratto for you.

The comune is normally open only a few hours during the weekdays, and the officials are often very busy. It is best to arrive as prepared as possible, perhaps you can prepare a list of the documents you are searching for to bring with you to the comune.
mromano

Post by mromano »

Grazie mille, Maurizio! =)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

are there other types of documents in Italian comunes that are useful for genealogy research?
Yes!! Another interesting document is the "stato di famiglia originario",
or historical state of the family. It documents not those present in the household at a given time, but all members of the family, past and present, including those who moved or died. A valuable source for documenting an entire family unit.

quoted loosely from the book "Italian Genealogical Records" by
Trafford R. Cole.

There is a charge for this document, per name if I'm not mistaken.

Perhaps Maurizio can offer further insight. :)
wldspirit

mromano

Post by mromano »

Thanks, wldspirit!

You mentioned the "stato di famiglia originario" lists names of family members in the present. I'm very interested in establishing communication with any relatives I may still have in Italy! Is it reasonable to expect the comune to have this document with the family history dating back from the 1870 to 2009? Thank you again! This has been extremely helpful information! =)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The document above records past history, to obtain current family, I think the privacy laws would come into play.....however, you can check for family connections by using the following site, placing your surname into cognome,
the town of origin into dove, click cerca, and this will bring up names, addresses and phone numbers.

http://paginebianche.it/

wldspirit

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If the town does not have this Stato di famiglia, ask about the Registration of the population that occurred around 1860 (in the South at least) not all towns have it, others chose to prepare 'scheda personale' which lists the person's details, address etc.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Thanks again to all.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
ralphr1959

Post by ralphr1959 »

I am also confused. I need records from the port of naples. for grandparents who left there in 1905 or 1906 for New York USA. Also seek their hometown/village. And the names of their siblings and parents.

Like many the surname of my GPs was changed (either by them or by immigration) when they came to the USA. My grandpa from Riporti or Riporta (or ??) to Reporto. My gramma likely stayed DelVecchio, but maybe was DelVaco.

So what information do i need to give someone to find their "estratto per riassunta dell'atto di nascita". Who would have this document? If I don't have their town/village is it a lost cause?