still looking for ruffo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bella814

still looking for ruffo

Post by bella814 »

Does anyone know what area in Italy the surname ruffo comes from? I am trying to figure out when they started migrating to Pennsylvania. Also, in the early 1900's would there be a avg age difference between husband and wife and would the wife ever be older?
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Re: still looking for ruffo

Post by Conti832 »

I'm guessing you are here in the Shenango Valley.If you haven't already try the Prothonotary office at our County Courthouse.Ask for the records of people applying to become Americans.Look for names you have metioned and also names that you suspect.I found that my Grandmother had family here in Sharpsville from Italy before She came by a hunch and seeing a name that was misspelled.I asked to have them put the film on and found prove.
bella814

Post by bella814 »

actually, I am in Florida. PA is the worst for trying to find anything. I am still trying to figure out the joseph ruffo part. I can't even figure out a brother, father, mother... The rotunnos were much easier since they seem to have stayed around New Castle and the New Castle Times is wonderful. But there are just so many mary's and ann's mixed in with everyone,I get lost and forget what I was looking for. There are so many tangents.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

One other thing as far as ages.Don't go by dates on tombstones.My research was thrown back years by trusting those dates of Italians who came here.
bella814

Post by bella814 »

good advice. thanks.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

I was looking at St.Mary's list of people buried.There is a name listed like this.Ruffo,Mary A.Rotunno.Many Rotunno's and a few Ruffo listed
bella814

Post by bella814 »

where did you get the list from? I think Mary A rotunno was married to Albert C Ruffo. I think he was a brother of joseph. Or Mary A was a sister to Anne L. Rotunno which was another joseph ruffo's mother. it is so confusing.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

St.Mary's which is right outside Sharpsville has a site with listings of people there.If you ever get the chance to get there in person some old stones even have the name of the towns in Italy that they came from.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

bella814 wrote:where did you get the list from? I think Mary A rotunno was married to Albert C Ruffo. I think he was a brother of joseph. Or Mary A was a sister to Anne L. Rotunno which was another joseph ruffo's mother. it is so confusing.
Conti832 wrote:St.Mary's which is right outside Sharpsville has a site with listings of people there.If you ever get the chance to get there in person some old stones even have the name of the towns in Italy that they came from.
Here's the link:
http://www.interment.net/data/us/pa/mer ... /index.htm