No Records for Great Grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
christiani

No Records for Great Grandfather

Post by christiani »

Ellis Island does not have records for 1887, what is my next place to search. I have the year, first name and a few possible spellings of the last name. Leo's death certificate just says born in Italy.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: No Records for Great Grandfather

Post by ptimber »

You can either file form 81 with NARA (national archives) by going thru www.Nara.gov and clcik to immigration and then to order forms or if you know where he was naturalized you can request a copy of his petition for ctizenship which will have all the data. If perchance he was naturalized prior to 1906 then the record is on micorfilm at the nearest family history library of the Mormon church. Since you do not say the area he was from, when he passed on and whether he was ever naturalized, I remain waiting for more information. Peter
christiani

Post by christiani »

Hi Peter, me again.

Leo Cristiani was born in Italy approx 1866. He came to the USA in 1887, married Giovianina Ferrari (her second marriage, with maiden name of Apesi) in 1921 and died in San Rafael, CA of a stroke Nov 19, 1928. He was approx 62 when he died. His children were very young (my grandfather Aurientie William Christiani being 4) and were spread out to friends and possibly the state. This is why so much info has been lost.

Note: Giovianina Aspesi came to America in 1892 also from Italy. She passed away in San Rafael, CA in April 16, 1930 of stomach cancer.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Have you looked for this family in the US census records? You might find something that helps put the pieces together.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi, I did a quick check and found this:
1920 California, Marin Co, San Anselmo

Leo (listed Lea) Crissin, Male, 53 years, Widower, born Italy, immigrated 1887, (PA= 1st Papers filed). Was listed as head, but only member of this family.

Next family enumerated was:
Johanna Ferreri, Head, Female, 28 years, Widow, immigrated in 1911 and listed as alien. Had 3 children Maurio, Josephine, and Carrie.

If this is your Leo you could look for his Declaration of Intent. If it was filed after 1906 you can write to Immigration for the record. If it was before 1906 it could be in any court or where their archives are kept. IF you can find his Declartion of Intent it will tell you where in Italy he was from and when/what ship he came to the US on.

Hope this helps.
Debbie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The surname is cristiani and prior to 1906 naturalziations are on micorfilm at the family history library. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The 1920 ,census shows town of HILLSBOROUGH. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Hillsborough is in California, New jersey and Florida???? Which is it ? Does anybody know since I can't access census 1920. Peter
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Peter,
The Census summary I gave was from 1920, California, Marin Co, San Anselmo. It is from ancestory.com and the name was indexed under Crissin, Lea.

I realize this was not the proper spelling, but it is one of the spellings provided by the poster in the previous post on the Italian genealogy forum board.

You are the expert, and from all the help provided by you, obviously spend a lot of time doing this. I have learned alot from reading your answers to others. I am not trying to mislead the poster. Just thought if they did not have a census record on this ancestor that this might help if it is the correct one. Seemed worth considering since the families listed next to each other were both widowed and matched the names provided as great grandparents by the poster.

Debbie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

you are right and I was wrong about the spelling. It looks like you are close to home on this one and thanks for cathcing it. The poster has comie iin on two postings and it is a bit confusing. ncstry.com has a leo cristiani on census in Hillsborough but no state mentioned?? Peter
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Peter,
The leo cristiani you referred to was on the 1920 census in Hillsborough New Hampshire.

I guess we have to wait for the poster to respond and see if the 1920 census from California is the ancestor they are looking for. If so there is at least a Declartion of Intent out there to find. Of course that assumes that the question was asked, understood and recorded properly on the census.

Debbie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I don't like census data it is too unromantic!! Peter
christiani

Post by christiani »

It is the grandfather from the census in California. I dont understand why his census would say Crissin and his death certificate would say Cristiani. And I have no idea why his children added the H to spell Christiani. I thank you again for all your help and I will try to see if there is a Declaration of Intent.

Deborah
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Deborah,

You have to remember that census records are considered a secondary source record. Use them as a guide. They will document where your family was at that point in time. Remember the cenus worker asked the questions, and the family member answered as they understood what they were being asked. Often the census worker guessed at spellings, or they wrote down what they heard. Now add the census worker and ancestor being of different nationalities and imagine how names could end up. Also at times a child provided information, or if the family wasn't home perhaps a neighbor "helped" fill in the information.

Also with a death certificate you really have to look at who provided the information. How familar were they with the true dates, parents names and such of the person who passed away.

Good luck finding a Declaration of Intent. If you can find this ancestor on the 1910 and 1900 census it will help find a 10 year period that they did file their first papers. Also, there is always the possibility that papers were never filed, the question was misunderstood, or answered falsely for reasons you can only guess about.

Debbie
AspesiFerrari

Post by AspesiFerrari »

Hi Cristiani:
I believe are related. My great grandmother was Giovanina Ferrari, (who then later became Giovaninia Cristiani)--Perhaps we already emailed each other on Ancestry.com?

Josephine Ferrari, my grandmother, was Billy's 1/2 sister. (Different fathers).

I'm trying to find out where exactly Giovanina was born...? As well as Leo Cristiani and Louis Ferrari (Giovanina's first husband and father of my grandmother). Hmmm. I can't find records for them either.